Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just ordered the game!

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all

I've just ordered WoW and The Burning Crusade expansion. I used to play Ultima Online many years ago so MMORPGs are not new to me.
    What server should I play on? I dont want PvP so a normal server is better for me. I've checked out a few sites and there are loads of Euro servers. Which ones have the most English speaking people on it? What servers do people on here play?

I've decided to start with a Dwarf warrior or a human rogue. I want to do a Night Elf Druid but I'll wait till I am more experienced.

I'll be playing on a Macbook with 2gig RAM. They seem to be plenty of mods for the game. Are they Windows only or will they work with the Mac version of the game? Will I need a headset to play? If so, does anyone reccommend one.

Any other tips or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and for any help I can get here. I'll probably have more Qs when I get playing.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Choosing a server is a bit hit and miss i find.
    My mains are on pvp ones but i do have a lock and Paladin on Kilrogg,normal server,havent played there in ages though.
    Not sure if mods are windows only but if you want a good mod then get Photek UI X8.1 ,it has tonnes of features.
    Get it here http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/3459/?cpage=10
    Im using the widescreen version and its extremely nice.

As for headsets,in my opinion nothing beats Sennheiser headsets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Waylander24

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at some Sennheiser headsets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

gratz on rolling horde side, if you want you can start on horde side on emeriss, quite a few of us irish contingent over there and i'd be happy to help you out money questing wise as I have various alts.

anyway if you do decide to roll horde on emeriss hit me up.

dijkstra

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm on Kilrogg alliance (70 holy paladin, Lakirby), and also playing on a Mac. Pretty much all the mods (of the kind that are installed by dragging and dropping into the addons folder anyway) work just fine on a Mac, the only thing I miss really is the model viewer because there's just no good one for OS X. If you decide to roll here, feel free to say hi! The vast majority of people on alliance side here are English speaking, with a lot of people from the UK and Holland here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do not roll on Laughing skull, its just so badly maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Welcome to a game that could not be more unlike UO, but a bitta fun anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Roll PVP you will regret it if you dont,

Its SO much more fun,

STV <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I'll be playing on a Macbook

quality, that made my morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

WellyJ wrote:
    Roll PVP you will regret it if you dont,

Its SO much more fun,

STV <3

What makes PVP so much better than PVE? Also has anyone rolled on any of the Roleplaying servers? What are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GStormcrow wrote:
    What makes PVP so much better than PVE? Also has anyone rolled on any of the Roleplaying servers? What are they like?

You will keep wishing you had rolled pvp when that annoying horde keeps flying in and stealing your mines/herbs and gimping your grinding. Or running around dotting everything in site knowing that you cant do much against it.

On pvp, you attack him if he trys to steal your nodes and you don't pull 10+ mobs on a pvp server because you will get ganked.

Plus reason no1, the sheer joy of heading somewhere and dropping off your horse to 1 shot some lowbie questing.

The downside is Stranglethorn Vale.

Just be warned, you can transfer from a PVP server to a PVE server, but not the other way around. A lot of people make this mistake, transfering to PVE because they dont like being griefed, only to level to 70 on the PVE and reliese they lost the right to do it to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

krazy_8s wrote:
    Just be warned, you can transfer from a PVP server to a PVE server, but not the other way around. A lot of people make this mistake, transfering to PVE because they dont like being griefed, only to level to 70 on the PVE and reliese they lost the right to do it to others.

Damn it!!! Didn't know that!! Me and two mates (one lvl 30, one new) all coming back to WOW shortly having left for a lot of the reasons above. We had all agreed that PVP might be more entertaining cos I find the pve questing boring as hell and partially my reasons for leaving. We were going to do a paid character transfer. Why is it block in this direction?

Guess I'll have to roll new char. I know it was asked earlier, but whats consensus on best PVP server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

GStormcrow wrote:

Nearly all my toons are on Moonglade - RP server. Not into PvP myself and wanted a little RP. There are some hardcore RP guilds but the majority of people are easy going. Look me up if you roll there - Alliance side. Currently levelling a Drenai Shaman (L22) so if you level fast we could level together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Surion wrote:
    Damn it!!! Didn't know that!! Me and two mates (one lvl 30, one new) all coming back to WOW shortly having left for a lot of the reasons above. We had all agreed that PVP might be more entertaining cos I find the pve questing boring as hell and partially my reasons for leaving. We were going to do a paid character transfer. Why is it block in this direction?

Guess I'll have to roll new char. I know it was asked earlier, but whats consensus on best PVP server?

Its blocked because levelling on a PVE is much easier. So you dont get people powerlevelling on an PVE then switching to a PVP when they hit 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

krazy_8s wrote:
    Plus reason no1, the sheer joy of heading somewhere and dropping off your horse to 1 shot some lowbie questing.
    That is the exact reason why I stopped levelling my ud mage on Jaedanar. I reached 24 and just got annoyed because I was stuck on my quests in Hillsbrad. All level?? alliance on their way to SM dismounted, one-shotted me, and continued on. What the hell is the point of that? There is no challenge to killing someone at such a low level, and all you do is make the game worse for the low-level player. Maybe thats because I started on a PVE realm, but even when I'm trying to be open minded, I still cannot understand the mentality of it.

PVE is the way to go for me. There isnt much world PVP, but when there is, it is enormous fun. Flag yourself for PVP (or get flagged) and you're fair game. Go questing, and turn it off, simple as that. Even on my 24 mage, when I was questing in horde controlled areas, it was still the same type of questing as on terenas.

For example; One time, on my way to the steamvaults on my human priest, I passed a 63 UD priest who was flagged for PVP, whom I could have slaughtered if I wanted, but decided with the 7-level gap, that it was pointless (and I was going to an instance, and didnt want to flag myself because of buffs, etc). I went up beside him, did /flex and /rofl, mounted up, and continued on.

I think the whole lowbie-ganking thing is pretty lame, and extremely annoying if youre the lowbie in question, and cannot see how someone could get 'sheer joy' from doing something like that. Maybe if someone offers some thought on the matter, I might be able to see some reason behind it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My mains are on pvp realm but i tend to agree with you Lordchess.
    I would never gank anyone other than 2-3 below me,well most of the time :P
    I play on a PVE realm lately and have no shortage of pvp when i want it.
    Its nice to quest in peace and then flag for pvp when i want world pvp,or i can go to battlegrounds.
    A friend of mine totally new to MMOs recently rolled on my pvp realm with his first char and totally new to wow but was so sick of being ganked while in the 20-30 level range or so he transferred to a PVE realm and is now a fully pledged wow addict :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PVE is lame.

PVP is where it's at.

Advertisement