Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Comic Con 07

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

It's one hello of a line up this year, quite a few people I'd be really happy to meet. A couple of my favourite are mixed in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah its sweet alright. There may be a few names to be added too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

would be nice to see at least one womans name added to that list

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't believe Jim Lee is guest of honour. Unless there's plans to, I don't know, sacrifice him to the Eldritch Deity of Non-Horrendous Superhero Artwork. (Although that should really be Rob Liefeld, a man whose continued career in comics baffles me).

Fysh wrote:
    I can't believe Jim Lee is guest of honour. Unless there's plans to, I don't know, sacrifice him to the Eldritch Deity of Non-Horrendous Superhero Artwork. (Although that should really be Rob Liefeld, a man whose continued career in comics baffles me).

I was going to make a simialar comment but other then the lack of even one female writer/artists [man Gail Simone would rock] the fact that its all mainstream is a little annoying. With Lee there you'll get all the little fanboys and make back your costs on the door so you can afford to chuck in at least one alternative/underground cartoonists. That way it can really be a comics festival and not just another dealer show.

People argue that you have to give people what they want and fanboys want fanboy artists like Lee, but a con is a chance to get some non comic heads to wander in, people who would normally never step into a comic shop cus they think its all superheros comics for 14 year old boys. Thats why MoCCA is my all time fav con cus they advertise in the new york times arts section and you get people from the fine arts scene coming in to have a look.

Having it on two days means you could put something really good on the saturday night like a comic art battle like stumptowns Comix Apocalypse [thou Bob would prob kick everyones asses] but we'll prob end up with some standard QandA with Lee then pub [not that I'm bashing the pub idea :D ]

If Liefeld was going to be there you couldn't advertise it cus you know so many would just show to throw things at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Adi Granov = AWESOME

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I second the Granov=awesome call. Was re-reading some of my issues of Metal Hurlant from the brief stint DC had of publishing them and found some Granov space-opera stuff in there, and once again it looked lush. The man's artwork is great.

As for the con, I agree with everything you've said. Would love some sort of comic battle, was reading about the A-kon Iron Artist challenge and it sounds like the sort of thing that could be great fun. And yeah, Bob would hand us all our asses and turn out to have drawn using his foot so that he could drink 2 pints while drawing...

Link to Day 1 of Akon report from Two Lump's J Grant (feat the all-ages Iron Artist challenge)

Link to Day 2 of Akon report from Two Lump's J Grant (feat the adult-only Iron Artist challenge - NSFW)

Comix Apocalypse works in much that same way............they have two teams portland and the rest of the world battle each other, its always a highlight and such a laugh. Or there was a fun comic battle type event in dublin last november [thou they weren't battling and it was more about the music] Check brenb site [go to news and the november 10th post]

i'd love to have some decent panels about comic production, maybe a workshop like those the IPRC does.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Link to Day 2 of Akon report from Two Lump's J Grant (feat the adult-only Iron Artist challenge - NSFW)

Thats hilarious, I'd love to get involved in something like that

Organise yer own con and bring over small press people. Otherwise cease moaning!

• Advertisement

Or, alternatively, continue moaning since it's a valid point and Cliodhna in particular is the person who paid for and organised last year's 24 hour comics event, so she's aware of the hassle and financial issues that crop up when trying to organise a comics event.

bombidol wrote:
    Organise yer own con and bring over small press people. Otherwise cease moaning!

I hate to pop your bubble honey but your little fail comic group would be classifed as small/alternative press at any con and you should be sticking up for the promotion of small press esp seeing as this is an irish con that should make at least a little effort to promote home grown work.

If I though we had the population for a small press festival in this country then hell yeah I'd put one together but we don't, we simple don't have enough people producing self published comics and we won't get small press people from overseas to come as they would see it as a better investment to focus on cons nearer them....we should be aiming for something like what Bristol has done a good mixture of indie/small press and dealer tables. The organisers there even put aside a couple of tables each year to give free to first timers and local artists to encourage them to get out and show their work. And I am well aware of the amount of time and money that goes into putting these things together, I've voluntered and exhibited at enough cons in the past 6 years.

Exhibitors are investing time and money into attending cons just as much as the people who organise them.....I emailed today asking about the small press situation because i want to know if its worth my time and money to attend or if thats money I can direct towards a table at another con. The Dublin con tables won't be expensive but other cons table can cost up $350 [what I've paid for my SPX table] plus flights and hotels. Yes they are having small press tables but I want to know if its going to be promoted or not.

Comics in ireland is becoming this exclusive club thats not welcoming to new readers esp if they are not into people being covered in spandex. From a retail stand point by focusing on the uber fan boy section your bringing in people who already shop in your shop why not try and get new shoppers in.

Ok i've emailed all this to jon and co, all be it pharsed slightly differently [I cc'd fysh in case anyone thinks I didn't email], and I'm sure they think I'm the biggest bitch going and if they do thats fine. Worse case they blacklist me and won't sell me a table and i have bit extra cash to put towards other cons, best case they might actually say hey lets have a comic jam on the sat night or lets promote this thing outside of the usual places.

Whatever about the small press situation the fact that they've 14 men listed as guests and not a single woman is a ****ing joke and on that I will not cease moaning

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

ztoical wrote:
    the fact that they've 14 men listed as guests and not a single woman is a ****ing joke and on that I will not cease moaning
    So what percentage of writers/artist are women and what percentage would actually be interested in going to an Irish comic con? It's not surprising that in a male dominated field a guest list would be over whelming male.
    I would also consider inviting someone solely because they were a woman and not on the basis of their work and local interest in meeting them sexist in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 M. Sean McManus

I can't wait for this show. I hope I can go...

Draco wrote:
    So what percentage of writers/artist are women and what percentage would actually be interested in going to an Irish comic con? It's not surprising that in a male dominated field a guest list would be over whelming male.
    I would also consider inviting someone solely because they were a woman and not on the basis of their work and local interest in meeting them sexist in the extreme.

I do agree that I would want someone there because of their work and not because of their sex but 14 to 0? I am well aware of the inbalance of men to women in this industry I bloody work in it but it is not that bad.

ztoical wrote:
    I hate to pop your bubble honey but your little fail comic group would be classifed as small/alternative press at any con and you should be sticking up for the promotion of small press esp seeing as this is an irish con that should make at least a little effort to promote home grown work.

If I though we had the population for a small press festival in this country then hell yeah I'd put one together but we don't, we simple don't have enough people producing self published comics and we won't get small press people from overseas to come as they would see it as a better investment to focus on cons nearer them....we should be aiming for something like what Bristol has done a good mixture of indie/small press and dealer tables. The organisers there even put aside a couple of tables each year to give free to first timers and local artists to encourage them to get out and show their work. And I am well aware of the amount of time and money that goes into putting these things together, I've voluntered and exhibited at enough cons in the past 6 years.

Exhibitors are investing time and money into attending cons just as much as the people who organise them.....I emailed today asking about the small press situation because i want to know if its worth my time and money to attend or if thats money I can direct towards a table at another con. The Dublin con tables won't be expensive but other cons table can cost up $350 [what I've paid for my SPX table] plus flights and hotels. Yes they are having small press tables but I want to know if its going to be promoted or not.

Comics in ireland is becoming this exclusive club thats not welcoming to new readers esp if they are not into people being covered in spandex. From a retail stand point by focusing on the uber fan boy section your bringing in people who already shop in your shop why not try and get new shoppers in.

Ok i've emailed all this to jon and co, all be it pharsed slightly differently [I cc'd fysh in case anyone thinks I didn't email], and I'm sure they think I'm the biggest bitch going and if they do thats fine. Worse case they blacklist me and won't sell me a table and i have bit extra cash to put towards other cons, best case they might actually say hey lets have a comic jam on the sat night or lets promote this thing outside of the usual places.

Whatever about the small press situation the fact that they've 14 men listed as guests and not a single woman is a ****ing joke and on that I will not cease moaning

Of course we are small press, hell we are non-press at the moment cause we've had 1 single sample edition out and wont have any full issues till November. I've been in a band for 6 years and have never been given anything, we've worked out arse's off for anything we've ever achieved. I apply the same set of rules to comics, I expect nothing from anyone. Why should anyone help me unless its in their best interests? A con like this is obviously aimed towards mainstream readers so its up to me to try and get the punters there to read my stuff, not John.
    Obviously anything 3rd place can do to promote the convention in anyway is going to help me out as small press, the more people there, the more people I can talk into buying fail stuff. To expect John to go out of his way to push small press and small Indy stuff to the same level as someone like Jim Lee or Mark Millar is crazy.

bombidol wrote:
    Obviously anything 3rd place can do to promote the convention in anyway is going to help me out as small press, the more people there, the more people I can talk into buying fail stuff. To expect John to go out of his way to push small press and small Indy stuff to the same level as someone like Jim Lee or Mark Millar is crazy.

first off I just want to point out that I'm not attacking john or anyone at the 3rd place or the way they are putting this together.....I told them after last years one that I knew they'd work their collective asses off to put it together and fair play to them.

And no i don't expect them to push small press to the same level as mainstream but as it stands its not pushed at all. And it is cus I'm looking after my own interest that I am making noise about this. More people does not mean more sales it just means more people.

If we are going to look at this like music look at a music festival that sells its tickets on the headline main stage acts but then has a smaller stage for local acts and up coming acts. Whats so wrong with saying hey any chance you can put aside 20 mins of panel to Irish artists. sit the likes of Bob and Declan Shalvey and Barry Reynolds down for 10 mins.

Also, be mindful that its only June. Obviously the whole thing hasnt been planned to the finish yet. Anything could happen.

There's a difference between pushing indie stuff to the same level as the Jim Lee, and making the event about more than just a dealer floorshow and a couple of generic Q&A sessions.

Given that small press people will probably be there *anyway*, a comic jam or artist challenge would be a fun alternative to the somewhat static "listen to famous people answer questions they've been asked many a time before". Or some sort of discussion or how-to session. (Although yes, I'm biased, in that I'd be more interested in hearing Bob, Cliodhna, the Sancho lads etc talking about making comcis than in hearing Jim Lee talking about drawing Batman or whatever.)

bombidol wrote:
    Also, be mindful that its only June. Obviously the whole thing hasnt been planned to the finish yet. Anything could happen.

which is why I emailed.........maybe Its just wishful thinking on my part but i thought they might like to get feedback from people who are attending this thing. Looking back over this thread other then my issue with the lack of female guests which i accept is my issue, I don't see were myself or anyone else was really moaning as you put..........we started talking about what we'd like to see at the con outside of the standard signings and dealer tables. Whats the point in 20 people replying to this thread with same thing - "o boy I'm going to go to that"?

Last year one of the highlights for me was sitting at 11.30pm in a packed pub drawing a comic about nailing hamsters to a wall........we didn't plan that, it wasn't done via the con. If the organisers of the con don't want to or have no interest in supporting something like that thats ok, those of us who are interested might put it together ourselves. There does seem to be an interest from people I've talked in just the last day in having a comic battle type thing and it might be worth putting some effort into it and saying to john and co hey we'll put it together, pay for it, organise it whatever, any chance you could stick the details of it up on the myspace page? they don't have to push it on the poster or advertising but maybe stick a notice up at the event.

I dont see what the harm is in trying to expand the con and get more people involved.

• Advertisement

I'm sure John is open to anything that add's to the fun level of the event. Personally I'd like to see some stuff for kids there too. Paint painting and some free comics etc, Cause A: Apparently theres still a few kids reading! and B: I personally know a few mammys and daddys with kids that would like to go, so im sure theres more.

bombidol wrote:
    I'm sure John is open to anything that add's to the fun level of the event. Personally I'd like to see some stuff for kids there too. Paint painting and some free comics etc, Cause A: Apparently theres still a few kids reading! and B: I personally know a few mammys and daddys with kids that would like to go, so im sure theres more.

i have to say i hate kids but at stumptown last year somone had this little baby dressed as batman and it was beyond cute. And I ain't the biggest anime fan but a cosplay event would add some entertainment and colour. At bristol they didnt have a cosplay event per say but gave discounted tickets [or was it free tickets?] to people who came in costume.

Having something like a comic battle between dublin artist vs the rest of the country or ireland via the uk or something like that makes the con stand out.......the monday after 24 hour comics day last year 2fm rang me and gave out that I hadnt rung them before the event to push it. It never entered my head to call them but they thought the event sounds really mad and unusual and was something they would gladly give some air time to. A comic con thats got alot of people coming over that only comic heads are really going to know isn't going to be that interesting but an Ireland vs Uk comic draw off? now that might get you a few extra lines in a paper or an extra few seconds on the radio thus getting more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Ooh yeah add me to a Irish team I wanna kick some Brit butt. :P

I'll let you all return to your little war now ;)

BTW ztoical I love you lol

But, but, but...this is more than some little war! We're posting in threads online!

Well we haven't got anywhere near Godwins Law yet so figure we've got at least 4 more pages of rants to go before that happens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

bombidol wrote:
    Cause A: Apparently theres still a few kids reading! and B: I personally know a few mammys and daddys with kids that would like to go, so im sure theres more.

A there are and B I would be one of them
    and C I agree with ztoical about the lack of irish contributors and female contributors so far.

Seriously I want to bring both my brats and have them feel like comics are for them and not have my daugther wonder if they are not as she does not see any female creators the same way that she assumed that driving a bus was not for girls as she had ever seen a female bus driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 J Hendrick

We just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions regarding the Dublin City
    Comic Con this November.
    Firstly thanks for your interest it's always good to know that there's a
    healthy and thoughtful audience for events such as these.
    Now regarding the perceived lack of Irish talent at the con, I'm not too
    sure where you're getting your information from but there's an ever growing
    contingent of Irish talent signing up to attend.
    On the mainstream side of things we've got Nick Roche (Transformers
    penciller and writer) a native of Wexford appearing and Steven Mooney a
    Dubliner (Penciller on Angel) also signing.
    We have many independent creators Irish and otherwise, from differing
    mediums lined up also, Sancho, the Shiznit and Drastic to name but a few.
    Just because we have not listed a program of events online yet - and
    remember the event is being held November 17th and 18th - 5 whole months
    away - does not mean that we are going to devise a schedule that ignores
    the existence of such.
    In fact a good portion of the conventions events will be dedicated to
    highlighting and discussing the emergence and continued efforts of Irish
    comic book professionals whether Indie or otherwise out there.
    The idea that the event is somehow exclusively male is quite frankly
    preposterous. In our planning for the event, which might I add began the day
    after last years and has been going on since, we approached various talents
    from around the world, some male, some female and we put the schedule
    together based on the responses we got. We're already at the planning stages
    for next year and some of the talents who could not make it to this one
    should be available in 2008, let's wait and see.
    There has also been, since the posting of the guest list, dates and venue on
    line, a small but vocal minority of individuals who appear intent on
    influencing the program of events, the content of the convention and even
    the application of the cons resources. Let us make this very clear - No one
    interest, mainstream, niche, whatever shall influence the Dublin City Comic
    Con in any way shape or form. Our management committee is more than equipped
    to devise a program of events that will cater to the audience attending. If
    we require any external input we'll be sure to ask for it.
    So please let us look after the details.
    Looking forward to seeing you in November

The Dublin City Comic Con.

J Hendrick wrote:
    There has also been, since the posting of the guest list, dates and venue on
    line, a small but vocal minority of individuals who appear intent on
    influencing the program of events, the content of the convention and even
    the application of the cons resources. Let us make this very clear - No one
    interest, mainstream, niche, whatever shall influence the Dublin City Comic
    Con in any way shape or form. Our management committee is more than equipped
    to devise a program of events that will cater to the audience attending. If
    we require any external input we'll be sure to ask for it.
    So please let us look after the details.
    Looking forward to seeing you in November

The Dublin City Comic Con.

there's a 1984 joke in here somewhere.

And there we have it, straight from the horse's mouth. I'm looking forward to seeing the event schedule, as having 2 days for the con should allow for a lot more flexibility :)

Though I have to state that, at this point, my biggest question is "Are there plans underway to have Rob Liefeld attend the con at some point in the near future, and if so am I allowed to throw things at him?".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ztoical wrote:
    there's a 1984 joke in here somewhere.

There are several, clearly they have an idea of who thier target punters are and
    are going to work to that idea and sod anyone who is not that narrow focus demographic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement