Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FLASH-FLASH - This can't be good?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I was driving inbound on the N4 at Lucan late last night and, out of nowhere, there were two big blue flashes and an ominous camera-sound. At first I thought it was the men in blue pulling me over but then I saw none. I'm assuming it was a speed camera? I'm not sure what speed I was doing but it may have been above the speed limit. Am I definitely busted? Didn't I read somewhere before that these things hardly ever have film in them, as it's so expensive? I have no points / fines / endorsements so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

Doesnt sound good. My friend got caught by a speed camera. He got 2 points and an 80 euro fine.This was about 2-3 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Damn. My car's speedometer is in kilometres, but I was driving my girlfriend's which is in miles. Not much of an excuse, really, but it did make it that bit more awkward staying aware of my speed.

What's the maximum fine / points you can get for an offence like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Wossack

You're not definately busted till theyve put the points on your license. Take a look at www.irishspeedtraps.com and see if the incident occured near a camera I guess. Wouldnt worry about it though (well, other then the blue lights and the camera noises... on any medication? :p j/k!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah you'll more than likely end up with a 80e fine & 2 points.

Seriously though ,I doubt you would be able to hear a camera noise , I think you were just imagining things

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You never know, it could just have been an arc-light blowing or someone doing a spot of welding. I wouldn't say anything to your girlfriend just yet.:)

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure I heard the click-click! Maybe my mind filled in the blanks when the flashing started. Thanks for that website, but it could only have been a speed trap :(

Two points and eighty quid isn't so bad, but maybe it'll be more severe that that. I'd been driving on the empty (it was about 11pm) M4 not long before, and you know how your sense of what the appropriate cruising speed can become flawed on big, good, clear roads in good driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't worry about it either way,

If you were driving your GF's car, she will get the letter. ;):D

Anan1 wrote:
    You never know, it could just have been an arc-light blowing or someone doing a spot of welding. I wouldn't say anything to your girlfriend just yet.:)

I'm all for witholding information from girlfriends but unfortunately she was in the car with me at the time. So alarmed was she by the eerie flashing that she initially thought we were being abducted by aliens (she'd been drinking Prosecco all afternoon though).

Seriously though, I was nearly BLINDED by the flashing! These things must cause crashes, especially given that those they dazzle are generally speeding dangerously to begin with.

rediguana wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I heard the click-click! Maybe my mind filled in the blanks when the flashing started.
    This is why i'm thinking it may not have been a speed trap. You wouldn't have heard a camera, but many other things that make flashes make noise too.

Anan1 wrote:
    This is why i'm thinking it may not have been a speed trap. You wouldn't have heard a camera, but many other things that make flashes make noise too.

I like your optimism and I hope you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

rediguana wrote:
    I was driving inbound on the N4 at Lucan late last night and, out of nowhere, there were two big blue flashes and an ominous camera-sound..
    If you heard somebody say "Cheese" then you are definitely nicked ;)

rediguana wrote:
    I like your optimism and I hope you're right.
    At the end of the day, you can't change the outcome at this stage. Your only choice is whether to be happy or sad for the next couple of weeks.;)

rediguana wrote:
    Damn. My car's speedometer is in kilometres, but I was driving my girlfriend's which is in miles. Not much of an excuse, really, but it did make it that bit more awkward staying aware of my speed.

If you thought you were doing 80kph but were really travelling at 80mph thats nearly 130kph in a 80kph zone.

Anan1 wrote:
    At the end of the day, you can't change the outcome at this stage. Your only choice is whether to be happy or sad for the next couple of weeks.;)

I like your serene fatalism. I'm going to PM you with all of my problems from now on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

If across from the Spa Hotel. 2 points.

That cameras works

DonJose wrote:
    If you thought you were doing 80kph but were really travelling at 80mph thats nearly 130kph in a 80kph zone.

Nah, I'm not a moron! It's just that signs are in Kilometres, my own speedometre is in Kilometres, but the new car I was driving was in Miles. It's a minor contributory factor but, realistically, I may well have been over the speed limit even if I'd been in my own car. But at least I would've known my speed. I have no idea what I was clocked doing.

Trampas wrote:

That cameras works

What a world :(

Trampas wrote:

That cameras works

But they rotate the cameras in the housings between all the sites though..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds ominous.

I was doing exactly 100kph indicated last Friday evening on the N17 Ennis bypass. I saw the cops miles ahead. "No problem" I thought and didn't alter my speed.

Cop then walks out onto road pointing to pull in, and I indicated and did so. I point a hand towards myself, and say "me"? Female cop alongisde starts laughing and says "No, not you".

God it was embarrasing :o

Sounds ominous.

I was doing exactly 100kph indicated last Friday evening on the N17 Ennis bypass. I saw the cops miles ahead. "No problem" I thought and didn't alter my speed.

Cop then walks out onto road pointing to pull in, and I indicated and did so. I point a hand towards myself, and say "me"? Female cop alongisde starts laughing and says "No, not you".

God it was embarrasing :o

burn! guess you werent her type :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

ronoc wrote:
    But they rotate the cameras in the housings between all the sites though..

You can't be serious are you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Was there one of these at the side of the road, by any chance?-
    iraqiphotostudioin6.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That one opposite the Spa Hotel has been operating properly for years! The reason? Most people have just come off the M4 and have been happily doing 120 kph for a good few kilometres and you are suddenly entering an 80kph zone. Therefore it's gauranteed to keep pulling in the cash from unsuspecting motorists!

There are speed limit signs but if you're not paying attention it is very easy to miss them or keep your speed above 80 kph. During the day it's not so easy to get caught as most people travelling there no the camera works and thus slow down to about 70 kph, forcing you to slow down as well. At night it's a different story, if there's not a lot of traffic you will sail past it unaware until you see the flashes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

r3nu4l wrote:
    There are speed limit signs but if you're not paying attention it is very easy to miss them or keep your speed above 80 kph

If you are not paying attention to see all the road signs indicating end of motorway, lower speed limit etc.. then you aren't paying enough attention.

r3nu4l wrote:
    That one opposite the Spa Hotel has been operating properly for years! The reason? Most people have just come off the M4 and have been happily doing 120 kph for a good few kilometres and you are suddenly entering an 80kph zone. Therefore it's gauranteed to keep pulling in the cash from unsuspecting motorists!
    If they are stupid enough to miss the end of motorway sign, the 80kph signs and the speed camera sign, they f***ing deserve a fine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I've driven past that camera on the n4 from training at night and you get the very odd time that some ****er flashes headlights twice! I've driven past a car that did it and glanced to see 3 blokes pissing themselves laughing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you are not paying attention to see all the road signs indicating end of motorway, lower speed limit etc.. then you aren't paying enough attention.

No arguement there, I totally agree and wasn't arguing otherwise but as we all know, it happens all the time! If people payed attention and obeyed the law on every occassion then nobody would have penalty points but that's never going to happen now is it?
    DonJose wrote:
    If they are stupid enough to miss the end of motorway sign, the 80kph signs and the speed camera sign, they f***ing deserve a fine ;)
    My, who's a grumpy bear then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

OP: As the others were saying was probably the camera at the Spa Well. A lot of cars are probably missed there as it's usually fills really quickly with the large volume on the road so it's not too often it actually able to record. Know someone who got done there twice in one day because of thinking this though :D

cgc5483 wrote:
    OP: As the others were saying was probably the camera at the Spa Well. A lot of cars are probably missed there as it's usually fills really quickly with the large volume on the road so it's not too often it actually able to record. Know someone who got done there twice in one day because of thinking this though :D

typo? there aint no camera at the spawell, at least I bloody hope not :o lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cgc5483 wrote:
    OP: As the others were saying was probably the camera at the Spa Well.
    Wossack wrote:
    typo? there aint no camera at the spawell, at least I bloody hope not :o lol
    cgc5483 is thinking of the Spa Hotel along the N4

Advertisement