Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English: Ch Ch Changes!

Options
  • 06-06-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Paper one, easy enough I thought. Heres hoping for paper two to be the same!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Yeah how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

It's over, ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

yeah i thought it was alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

P2 was better than P1
    Yay Plath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

thought paper 2 was grand, everything i wanted came up, too bad i messed up my essay big time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

messed up with the essay... paper 2 is easy... go on frost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

did people write more than 7 pages total on paper 2 ??

Well obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I know I said I wouldn't return here til Saturday, but quick comment:

Paper 1:
    Answered Question A on Text 3, the pictures. It was mediocre. I wasn't really "warmed up" I guess.
    Answered Question B on Text 2, the radio presentation. I thought I did it very well.
    The Essay: Did no. 7. I managed to change a pre prepared essay to get Natural Disasters to fit in with it. It kicked ass.

Paper 2:
    Macbeth: Easy question!!!(Lady Macbeth! Who'd have thought it!) I did very well here! Funnily enough the predictions were ALL wrong for this question.
    Comparitive: Did Cultural Context. This was my weakest question. Didn't write enough and it was a bit sloppy.
    Unseen Poetry: So easy! I kicked ass here.
    Pre Prepared Poetry: Plath came up, as predicted. Wrote a pretty good essay I thought. Perhaps was a little sloppy in places.

All in all I'm very happy with how it went. I'm sure I've secured my B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

On Paper one I did 5 page essay, spent 3 pages on the B Part on Student Council and 6 Pages on the three part queson on the images.

On Paper two, I did 4 Pages on Plath, 6 Pages on Comparative, 3 Pages on MacBeth and 2 Pages on Unseen Poem.

I think I wrote too much although the exam went well for me. My essay I think was over the top, the basic plot was:

A father sexually abuses his daughter, the mother catches the father, he gets jailed, the new son that was born in now 12 and wants to meet his father and that.....it's worse than it sounds, but I think the portrayal of the issue was dealt with satisfactorily.

• Advertisement

Of course....

Sure you should have written at least 3 pages each for the Single Text, Comparitive and Pre-prepared Poetry, and around one page for the Unseen Poetry - that's a minimum of 10 pages.....

Lucas10101 wrote:
    On Paper one I did 5 page essay, spent 3 pages on the B Part on Student Council and 6 Pages on the three part queson on the images.
    :eek:

I did less than 3...

It's only worth 50 marks though, and you did a page more than for your essay, which is worth 100 marks....

Yeah the unseen poetry was pretty good. I forgot to conclude my answer unfortunately :( Yeah I didn't do Macbeth for the single text (did it for comparatives) and the questions were simple! I was tempted to do them for my single!

Anyway, maths now,, integration. I keep forgetting C! :| Also can't remember the damn area questions.

Oh JC, you'll probbaly know this, for proving the product and quoitent rule do we HAVE to use first principles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Was very happy with the papers overall..
    Did Question A from the First Text
    Question B from the third text
    Essay number 4 on the Modern Shopping centre.

Think I did 8 pages in total!

For paper 2
    Macbeth - Relationships
    General Vision, question 2
    Unseen Question 2
    John Montague
    12 pages in total

Heres hoping the rest of the papers will be as nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Unseen Was pure muck i thought !!!

Out of interest For question B on The Radio Thing !! Were you supposed to write it in ''I'' or ''teens are...''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

People get way too fussed about the amount they write.
    I got an A1 last year and for P2 I wrote like 6/7 pages. (Wrote alot more in P1 cos I really enjoy essay writing) It's quality not quantity that matters.

Also depends on how big people write..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

My view: Paper 1 was very good. I did the change the world talk and argued about the evilness of religion (as I had planned). When I did this essay in class i got 96% and I wrote the same essay with a different opening paragraph and a few ladies and gentlemen thrown in too.

Paper 2: Eliot, thanfully. Felt I did an excellent answer. Macbeth: blended material from both my Macbeth and Lady Macbeth essays and tried to evaluate the realtionship at different junctures.
    The cultural context was annoying, the question was restrictive (second quest) only managaned a 4 page answer.
    Unseen poem, well wrote a page and a half hard to call that.
    Overall: content.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

How important is it to stick to the title for the composition! I went abit crazy and it may have cost me lots of marks.

In the Essay, write a serious article for a magazine title "The Modern Shopping Centre" i used the shopping centre as a metaphor for Africa and Iraq and the 1st worlds pillaging of their resources!!?:confused: Should that be acceptable?

Also i wrote far too little for my letter re Smoking, 1 1/3 page.

Boards off all day! No bickering on here so disappointed!

Maths tomorrow! oh dear! De Moivres better come up now seen as i have learnt it and please no quotient or product rule proofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Paper was allright, tomorros what im dreading. Wish i hadnt repeated 5th year :(

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:
    Anyway, maths now,, integration. I keep forgetting C! :| Also can't remember the damn area questions.
    There's nothing new to learn though.

Area beneath the curve from x=a to x=b is the integral of the curve with the limits a and b.

Draw diagrams and shade in what area integrating a curve will get you if there are multiple curves.
    Nehpets wrote:
    Oh JC, you'll probbaly know this, for proving the product and quoitent rule do we HAVE to use first principles?
    As in, so you can use the kickass natural log proofs?:
    y = uv
    ln(y) = ln(uv)
    ln(y) = ln(u) + ln(v)
    (1/y)(dy/dx) = (1/u)(du/dx) + (1/v)(dv/dx)
    dy/dx = (y/u)(du/dx) + (y/v)(dv/dx)
    but y = uv
    dy/dx = (uv/u)(du/dx) + (uv/v)(dv/dx)
    dy/dx = (v)(du/dx) + (u)(dv/dx)

As far as I know, you can. But I think they often say "prove from first principles", so if they say that there's no way around it.

Still, it's not hard, just remember the whole ...u(x).v(x+h) - u(x).v(x+h)... part and you're grand.

"Also i wrote far too little for my letter re Smoking, 1 1/3 page."

That was a question B, that much seems acceptable unless your writing is massive

How important is it to stick to the title for the composition! I went abit crazy and it may have cost me lots of marks.

In the Essay, write a serious article for a magazine title "The Modern Shopping Centre" i used the shopping centre as a metaphor for Africa and Iraq and the 1st worlds pillaging of their resources!!?:confused: Should that be acceptable?

Also i wrote far too little for my letter re Smoking, 1 1/3 page.

Boards off all day! No bickering on here so disappointed!

Maths tomorrow! oh dear! De Moivres better come up now seen as i have learnt it and please no quotient or product rule proofs!
    Sticking to the point is crucial. You can only equal your score from this area in each of the others ie if you get 26 for P you cannot get higher than that in C or L. I am not too sure if you would get away with it. I know the interprtation is liberal so you could be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Lads I have a mate who done Plath and wrote ''Fish'' one of bishops poems for plath . poor fella !!! he also wrote the persons address on the smoking ban letter instead of his own

please no quotient or product rule proofs!
    See my post above ;)

Honestly, just remember ...v(x).u(x+h) - v(x).u(x+h)... for both those proofs. It's the only tricky part there is to them.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    There's nothing new to learn though.

Area beneath the curve from x=a to x=b is the integral of the curve with the limits a and b.

Draw diagrams and shade in what area integrating a curve will get you if there are multiple curves.

As in, so you can use the kickass natural log proofs?:
    y = uv
    ln(y) = ln(uv)
    ln(y) = ln(u) + ln(v)
    (1/y)(dy/dx) = (1/u)(du/dx) + (1/v)(dv/dx)
    dy/dx = (y/u)(du/dx) + (y/v)(dv/dx)
    but y = uv
    dy/dx = (uv/u)(du/dx) + (uv/v)(dv/dx)
    dy/dx = (v)(du/dx) + (u)(dv/dx)

As far as I know, you can. But I think they often say "prove from first principles", so if they say that there's no way around it.

Still, it's not hard, just remember the whole ...u(x).v(x+h) - u(x).v(x+h)... part and you're grand.

Yeah that's the way I know, logs + implicit differentiation ftw :D Yeah I'll look over that in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sticking to the point is crucial. You can only equal your score from this area in each of the others ie if you get 26 for P you cannot get higher than that in C or L. I am not too sure if you would get away with it. I know the interprtation is liberal so you could be ok.

I knew that at the time and considered it to be more the case for other questions apart from the composition! Anyway here's hoping, i will find out in due course! Might have to check it over after August to see exactly what happened!

Paper 2 was grand although my Comparative Answer was abit summarisy for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Very nice paper one. Did text 1, really interesting piece found it easy to write about. Did the letter for question B, again quite nice.
    Essay was great. So many options on the argumentative/persuasive.

Paper 2, satisfactory. Really happy Frost came up, Macbeth was piece-o-piss tbh, comparative was rather average though, did that "investigate the locations on a trip" and messed up part II. Unseen I disliked a lot, just couldn't get into it. Wasn't much poetic devices to talk about either.

Lads I have a mate who done Plath and wrote ''Fish'' one of bishops poems for plath . poor fella !!! he also wrote the persons address on the smoking ban letter instead of his own
    Nasty. But he didn't need to write any address, for an informal you can simply put: Dear X. A person in my class answered on viewpoint even though we never studied it, what a tit!

• Advertisement

Phew! Thanks colm

Advertisement