Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English: Ch Ch Changes!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Lads I have a mate who done Plath and wrote ''Fish'' one of bishops poems for plath . poor fella !!! he also wrote the persons address on the smoking ban letter instead of his own

I didn't address mine.. were we meant to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kingship did come up on Macbeth more or less > "Use and abuse of power" I more or less did my kingship answer, my teacher said it was grand and so did the guy on the 606 radio show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I didn't either, it is informal. I was looking over notes this morning and the person simply wrote 'Dear XX' I doubt there was a need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

i presume your ment to !! its ''Letter'' After all !! it is essential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Emu McEmuerson

for my compositional essay i did the Modern Shopping Centre yolkie (which everyone seems to be doing)

..opened with "If i was to ask you to describe your perfect shopping centre, one to satisfy all your needs and desires what would you describe?" (or something to that affect..

made it really colloquial.. then after describing this real weird 21st century shopping centre with moving floors, chrome walls and all that crap i said -

"how many shopping centres, each bigger then the last one will it take for us to realise that the most perfect one is right infront of us -

The Computor - The Modern Shopping Centre"

...then waffled on for a while yada yada... i thought it was kinda an obvious essay but when i told people about it after they seemed suprised.

too obvious, or frankly, ****E? x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The log proof looks sweet! So easy..... but no doubt it will say from first principles. Good night folks and good luck tomorrow ;)

i presume your ment to !! its ''Letter'' After all !! it is essential
    You don't have to if it is informal, which it was. You could if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well overall I thought that was quite a decent exam.First part of paper one was ****.Did the part A on changing London, and the part B on the smoking ban letter.I mean a ****ing letter!!Complete bull****.Second part was easy enough.Wrote a decent essay on why the past shouldn't be glorified.Just wrote about death and war for 3 pages, so its all good.

Paper 2 was much better.Got exactly what I wanted with Plath and Cultural Context, although my Macbeth answer wasn't great (i'd only prepared Kingship, and so all I really wrote was 3 paragraphs on regal power, and then 2 small paragraphs on supernatural power and Lady M's power over M).Also what was up with the unseen poetry?It was complete ****.I only got 3 **** paragraphs on it.I'll be lucky to get half the marks for it.

Still though overall, i'm certain I got a C, pretty sure I got a C1, and if i'm lucky I may even get a B.Heres hoping anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

had an short story prepared on ''shopping with mother'' linked it into the war picture !! sayin that going shopping with mother was like going to war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Unseen I disliked a lot, just couldn't get into it. Wasn't much poetic devices to talk about either.
    I liked it. Some points I got were:
    -Said a lot in few words.
    -Bright, colourful register.
    -Contrast between the ordinary "cheap seats" in the first line, and the grandoise "Symphany Hall" in the second.
    -This contrast is symbolic as it represents the ordinary people in the audience and the "elite" on stage.
    -Ultimately sad, since the woman playing the viola doesn't notice him and probably never will, meaning she is probably the girl he is in love with but shall never get.

• Advertisement

I went on about how the whole poem appeared allegorical and it must have a more profound, complex meaning.

i couldnt stop smiling when i read the poem!! thought it was the sweatest thing ever..

i completly milked it though. had - "my response as a reader blah blah blah but my response as a violinist is blah blah blah"

..i put it ALOT better then that, but i was pretty damn pleased with my answer :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brickno1

i thought paper one was a nice paper did text 1 for question A adn found it pretty interesting and the smoking ban for quesion b.....pretty much like everyone else...

unfortunately paper 2 was not such a success as i banked on kavanagh or yeats tbh but i could still go back to my mock answer on frost, Macbeth i just did kingship and other bits and bobs...comparative i was hopin for theme so i was unfortunate there but i managed to do an average cultural context, onli 4 pages though. the unseen i didn't write much but seen as it onli 20 marks i din't think we had to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I read it completely differently.

Did the viola player not play hard so the sound would reach those cheap seats in the back?

Given more time, I could have written much more on it. There was a lot of symbolism hidden in it I thought.

Unseen poetry will give a wide array of repsonses!

i couldnt stop smiling when i read the poem!! thought it was the sweatest thing ever..

i completly milked it though. had - "my response as a reader blah blah blah but my response as a violinist is blah blah blah"

..i put it ALOT better then that, but i was pretty damn pleased with my answer :D:D:D
    How does being a violinist affect your interpretation of that poem?

I felt her playing the viola was merely symbolic of her radiating her "eliteness" on the ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Nehpets wrote:
    I read it completely differently.

Did the viola player not play hard so the sound would reach those cheap seats in the back?

Mid-way through the question (one A4 written, starting to waffle) then I realised that repetition of cheap seats and I was like YES, something else to talk about. Got another about half page out of that

Unseen poetry will give a wide array of repsonses!
    Yup.

What I love about it is you just read it and write what hits you instantly about it. And unless it's completely off the wall, you won't lose marks as long as you explain why you thought so.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.

nn.

nah, the description of the instruments tuning up, the flickering of pages and all that.. i said that the way the poet described yada yada, brought back personal memories of my own from perofming in a concert hall since the question was write a personal response...

..any clearer?

• Advertisement

I didn't mean to be hostile, if that's what you thought. I was merely asking.

oh no no, me too... did i come across mean?

emma's not mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Mid-way through the question (one A4 written, starting to waffle) then I realised that repetition of cheap seats and I was like YES, something else to talk about. Got another about half page out of that

Lol, me too!! I actually liked the poem, I thought it was so sweet, and I went on about how the poet conveyed all sorts of emotions, without actually naming them....yada yada yada. They just seemed to jump out at me from the page, plus the free flowing-ness (it's late) of the sentences and the capital letters and stuff....
    I hated Paper 1 on first viewing, and had a few wine gums to cheer myself up. Then I wrote on the film comp. for question A, and did the smoking ban one. I put an address and a date. I thought marks went for that, though when my friend came out lamenting that she hadn't put a date, I told her she didn't need to. oh, confusing.
    Anyways, kingship yay!! My Favourite Macbeth question. And Plath....I was hoping for Kavanagh, and if not him then just a personal response for Plath, but I'm sure it went well. GVV screwed me over though. I was late starting it, wrote three and a half pages of half-arsed comparisons. Crap question too I thought. meh. I hope I did well. I got an A in the pres, which was crap, cause I'll probably go down and that'll feel awful. Oh well... Onward bound to Maths tomorrow lol *Fingers crossed for death on the roads in Irish aiste!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Paper One=ok

Grand paper fair enuf i sapose,,
    I done Text1 QA and then the letter aswell! It seemd to be the most popular in our school!

The Essay i picked how i intend to change the world 4 pages of waffle!

Paper Two=piece of piss
    Macbeth who woulda predicted a nice question like that about M and LM's relationship! Handy!!

GV+V went well my hand was killing me after it tho it was a wrong choice to do it first!!

Plath ..meh ..i think it went well!

Unseen .. Class !! Easy enuf to understand

Selphie wrote:
    (snip)Then I wrote on the film comp. for question A, and did the smoking ban one. I put an address and a date. I thought marks went for that

I was the same way in there, thought that it might be like French with the marks for the layout. Either way, I did add the address (mine only, top right corner) and then one line and date right beneath it. A few people used the formal layout which clearly is wrong looking at the question, I wonder though will they drop marks for that? Afaik you have a choice in the informal with regards including the address or not, seems though it would be even more appropriate not to include it since the person seemed to be quiet a close friend.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I liked it. Some points I got were:
    -Said a lot in few words.
    -Bright, colourful register.
    -Contrast between the ordinary "cheap seats" in the first line, and the grandoise "Symphany Hall" in the second.
    -This contrast is symbolic as it represents the ordinary people in the audience and the "elite" on stage.
    -Ultimately sad, since the woman playing the viola doesn't notice him and probably never will, meaning she is probably the girl he is in love with but shall never get.

lol didn't mention any of that at all.
    What I did say a lot about was the sense of irony in the way that their actions are similar in strength, but almost opposite in what they are trying to achieve.
    And I also said the opposite of that last one, that she doesn't notice him because she was so focused on her preparation - for some reason I felt that there was already a personal relationship between them, in the way he refers to her.

Probably though was the shíttist part of paper 2 for me, followed closely by that god-awful Cultural Context question. I suppose it doesn't matter though, since I don't plan to include it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

I must've been feeling the effects of staying up all night,creative flare was gone so naturally paper 1 went terribly,write the other persons address:mad:
    essay was quite poor.P II was much better although it was rushed (took too long celebrating over Plath,answered unseen poem poorly but single and comparative went well...no chance of a B now me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

6 pages Comparative, 4 Macbeth, 3 Plath and paragraph (timmme) for unseen. So 13 and a bit.

Paper 1 was 4 page essay, 2 and a half for A and 2 and a tiny bit for B..so 8 and a tiny bit..writing was bigger than normal, about 11 words a line, except towards the end of paper 2, it got more frantic...13 words a line.

Grand papers.

I used some stuff from the Campion huge notes book, including a lovely quote for my Plath essay. "The pain fades, but the beauty remains"- Renoir :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

i was delighted with the papers. i had a feeling eliot would come up because alot of people avoid him like the plaugue...what a question...'write a personal response'...other than that i felt it was grand on the whole, nothing that i looked at and was like...:eek: i was elated coming out of the exam!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

the papers were ok...
    i did:
    text 2 (question A)

letter (question B)

story on 'science and technology'--- it was kinda bad, but i didnt like any of the others... the general oppinion of those that i spoke to after the exam agreed that the compositions were quite difficult.

paper 2:
    i could almost hear the silent "YESSSS", that most people were thinking when they saw the poets... i did montague... thank god he came up (i love his poetry)

Macbeth was ok but we didnt realy discuss their relationship in class but looked at it myself though... not excellent but not the worst..

the comparative.. we had recently done one on optomistic/ pessimistic so it was ok.... i didnt have time to finish it though!:(

unseen: i think icompletely miss interpreted it... i thought it was like a father child relationship.... oh well... (though on reading it after the exam i realised that it won the 'young poet of the year award' so my answer was completly wrong i'd say).:(

anyway, overal: I needed more time!!

Advertisement