Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English: Ch Ch Changes!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

what a perfect eliot question!! I couldn't have asked for anything better. I managed to get seven pages on eliot!! an the macbeth question was pretty easy too! I just used by kingship essay that i had prepared and manipulated it in relation to the power question:cool: Wrote 32 pages in total...but I have reasonably large writing (around 5-6 words per line)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thought English actually went quite well, and felt I did better than I thought. Hopefully manage a C1, and if I'm incredibly lucky, even a B3, although thats so unlikely.

Heart ws in my mouth for a few moments at the poetry. Thankfully Plath came up though. My first, and last, ever poetry essay. Macbeth question was nice, plenty of quotes. So far so goodhaha, I started singing Walking Barefoot in my maths exam today:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Overall it went very well, though I think I fared better in Paper 2.

Paper 1:
    Comprehension questions: Text A. I was a bit put off that part (b) had nothing to do with the text but for the most part it was fine.

Part B: Did the letter to my friend about the smoking ban. I'm hoping the examiner hasn't watched Ed Byrne's DVD because I used some of his material. The guy I was writing to was a smoker and I signed off saying "Please support this motion out of the goodness of your admittedly rather weak heart"

Composition: Did the article on the importance of the imagination. Probably not the most popular choice around the country and my essay wasn't great by any means. Hopefully it got me 75-80 marks

Paper 2:
    Macbeth: The power question. Basically kingship in disguise, delighted it came up and I managed to get 4 and a half pages out of it with quotes abound

Comparative: Cultural context 70 marker, also delighted this came up. Got 5 and a half pages out of it

Unseen poem: Managed to scribble a page about it. Methinks it went well

Prescribed poetry: Plath came up. Yes!!!!! The question was pretty nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

PLATH! The smile on my face when I saw that beauty of a question. Wasn't completely happy with all my answers but I'm hoping for about a B. Paper 1 was alright, kind of waffled for a while, but had some good bits in it too. Doubt I will reclaim the A though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

I really really liked the two papers.

Paper 1, I think I did ok in it.
    Was so delighted about the radio talk, wrote a page for that.

Did question A on the pictures, think I could of done better.

I chose the picture of the protest for my essay question. I used some pretty controversial words, I hope I get an extremely open minded marker.

Paper 2.
    Lady Macbeth, Macbeth question, wrote three pages hope it went well.

Chose the second question for the comparrisons, wrote three pages on that as well.

So delighted aobut Plath coming up, It brightened my day. Was a bit messy at the end but wrote four pages.

The unseen poem. Jesus, I dont know, I threw stuff down on the page for the last 10 minutes of the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

i started saying total nonsense about how the words he used for talking about the hair spilling sounded like spilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Emu McEmuerson

ditto to the sound of relief when the right poets came up.. and so did FROST! :D the second we got the paper, i flicked to the back to see what poets we got (as everyone in the room)

and same with the answers. they all started off pretty cools, then by the end i didnt give a ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Yeah I kinda fecked up with the unseen poem. Just spoke about about the crisp short sentences adding immense power and strength to poem.Waffled on about an 'unfinshed' element to the sentences...he seems to be skipping and very disorientated. I talked about how this may be viewed as an indication to his despair and hyteria without his love. Also spoke about attention to detail. Regards the futile details of the musician as beautiful. Attention to detail and almost intimate knowledge of musician conveys his immense love/obsession with musician. Didn't get this question done fully. Luckily, I knew I wouldn't get it finished so I prepared a spider graph illustrating my point so hopefully this will get me a few extra marks:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Paper 1: QA from Text 1, QB from Text 2. For the composition, I did the Modern Shopping Centre one, but wrote about greed and consumerism in our society.

Paper 2: Second Macbeth question (power), journalist comparative question, John Montague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

English was wonderful. I almost hit the roof when I saw T.S. Eliot- a personal journey, and what a personal journey it has been studying his work. soulful.

Unseen poem was a really beautifully crafted poem. One which i really found myself engaging with. i took the symphony hall to be a metaphor for their relationship and the distance between them. He squints to see her but she goes on unflinching, determined in her work unaware of his presence. What is so brilliantly captured is how low the speaker feels, he feels he cannot offer her anything- he sits in cheap seats cannot getclose to his aficionado. - he doesn't even have the self esteem to draw attention to himself the first line opens without 'I'.
    I also looked at the use of sibilance in the first two line to create a sense of secrecy, like he doesn't want her to know he is there, such is the nature of unrequited love. But what is so tragic is that despite her being so inward looking, he displays an unwavering desire for her, not showing any intrest in any other girls -blocking out the other instruments. It really was a beautiful poem poignantly capturing the speakers sense of inertia and infatuation.

I must say i have never engaged with a unseen poem that much before in such a short space of time. all the rest of the questions were fine too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

bright wrote:
    English was wonderful. I almost hit the roof when I saw T.S. Eliot- a personal journey, and what a personal journey it has been studying his work. soulful.

Unseen poem was a really beautifully crafted poem. One which i really found myself engaging with. i took the symphony hall to be a metaphor for their relationship and the distance between them. He squints to see her but she goes on unflinching, determined in her work unaware of his presence. What is so brilliantly captured is how low the speaker feels, he feels he cannot offer her anything- he sits in cheap seats cannot getclose to his aficionado. - he doesn't even have the self esteem to draw attention to himself the first line opens without 'I'.
    I also looked at the use of sibilance in the first two line to create a sense of secrecy, like he doesn't want her to know he is there, such is the nature of unrequited love. But what is so tragic is that despite her being so inward looking, he displays an unwavering desire for her, not showing any intrest in any other girls -blocking out the other instruments. It really was a beautiful poem poignantly capturing the speakers sense of inertia and infatuation.

I must say i have never engaged with a unseen poem that much before in such a short space of time. all the rest of the questions were fine too.:)
    Wow that is very similar to my interpretation unrequited love etc.
    And good choice th Eliot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Paper 1: Answered part A on the text "Films that change your life". Wrote a page for each 15mark queston, one and a half form the 20mark.

Answered Part B of the images bit, I think it was- the letter on the smoking ban. Reckon I did a pretty good job.

Essay- I tune in to conversations around me. Used a pre-prepared essay I did in class and got ninety something percent in. Was very pleased with it.

Paper 2: Macbeth- answered on the relationship between the two protagonists. Slightly waffley, hoping for 2/3 the marks.

Plath- lovely! I feel I answered rather well. Used a lot of material I used answering exam questions on Plath I did during the year and got high B's and low A's in.

Comparitive- cultural context. Answered on how the cultural contexts affects the behaviour of central characters. Used The Dead (Joyce) Wuthering Heights and A room With a View (Ivory).

Unseen poem- thought the poem was lovely and I felt I answered the questions reasonably well.

Volume of writing: 2.5 pages for smoking ban letter, 3.5 for part A questions, 3.5 pages Macbeth, 4 pages comparitive, 4 pages Plath, 2 pages Unseen poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 juicy-couture11

fucin sickened. NO KAVANAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

2.5 pages for smoking ban letter

I thought there was a limit for that question. I thought you were to write between 180 and 220 words. Anyone else heard of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

man its weird, everyone seems delighted about english, i couldnt be more sick as a parrot!

I was BANKING on Kavanagh or Yeat's.....i was convinced there were a certainty. Hell i got 48/50 on kav in the mocks...gutted

Also, the comparitive...im not too sure, wrote about 4 pages but i just cant tell if its any good or not. :confused: no idea what i got out of 70....hope for about 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

I thought there was a limit for that question. I thought you were to write between 180 and 220 words. Anyone else heard of that?

Yeah we were told to try and not go over1.5 pages or you might lose marks.

I wrote a really wierd essay on the pic of the smoking ban. I avent talked to anyone else who did that? I kinda went off the point but im hoping to still get some marks. I wrote about a really sad story of how two people met because of the smoking ban (personal experience of the brilliance of standing outside a pub in the freezing cold) and how they spent there life together till he died of cancer.

Advertisement