Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Ins and Outs

Options
  • 06-06-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I can only do a very little amount when it comes to maintenance and my biks and i am tired of going to bike shops where mostly i have to endure dreadful customer service, not everywhere but most, when i come back to ireland in the summer I want to learn more about bicycle maintenance and I am just wondering what would be the best way to do this, through a club? a course? or would i have to try and just fiddle around with my bike til i get it right, i have been looking at the forum for a while and i dont remember such a thread as this

so yeah essentially i am wondering what is the best way to learn more about bicycle maintenance?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

One approach is to wait until there's something wrong with your bike (or a friends one) and then set about fixing it. There are loads of useful resources on the internet to help you, some listed here: http://www.madmtb.com/links.html#repair.

You'll have to get some bike-specific tools for particular jobs but these should be bought as you need them to spread out the cost (although I'd splash out on this if I could: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=6&item=MK%2D129).

Joining a cycling club is also a good way to get advice from other riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

"The Bike Book", published by Haynes (of car manual fame), is an excellent book on the subject. My copy, which I bought in Eason's of Dublin about five years ago, has become suitably oily over the years:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11575&langId=-1
    wahlrab wrote:
    I can only do a very little amount when it comes to maintenance and my biks and i am tired of going to bike shops where mostly i have to endure dreadful customer service, not everywhere but most, when i come back to ireland in the summer I want to learn more about bicycle maintenance and I am just wondering what would be the best way to do this, through a club? a course? or would i have to try and just fiddle around with my bike til i get it right, i have been looking at the forum for a while and i dont remember such a thread as this

so yeah essentially i am wondering what is the best way to learn more about bicycle maintenance?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (or Zinn and the Art Mountain Bike Maintenance)

Or

www.parktool.com

Advertisement