Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Didnt even make it out of the test centre

Options
  • 06-06-2007 1:08pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

failed my test today at 12.30pm, well, when i say test - one of my brake lights was out and they wont let me replace it there and then, as i had a spare in the boot!!!

they were all fine on monday - bastard lights, ah well, at least i have a nice day off work :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Can't believe they wouldn't let you replace it there and then, still, enjoy your day off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Can't believe they wouldn't let you replace it there and then, still, enjoy your day off

ah sure, you have to laugh, only me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

irishbird wrote:
    failed my test today at 12.30pm, well, when i say test - one of my brake lights was out and they wont let me replace it there and then, as i had a spare in the boot!!!

they were all fine on monday - bastard lights, ah well, at least i have a nice day off work :D

Appeal. Lights blow all the time and they're supposed to allow you to replace the light if you've a spare handy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, I wouldn't be paying for the re-test, how much does the test cost now?

Well the test itself is still dirt cheap at €38, but it would be the principle of the matter and the fact that you're thrown to the back of the waiting list again because someone wouldn't give you a fair deal that would get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ah that's madness.

sure it takes about 2 minutes to replace a bulb :rolleyes:

the fact you had spares in the boot shows you were prepared and it was an honest/genuine mistake.

it's not like you knew about it and had no spares.. bulbs can go at any stage - just as you pull in to the test centre or pull out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

Jebus, I thought they'd even given you brownie points for knowing how/willing to change the bulb.

<snip>

EDIT: hermit - please do not refer to testers in derogatory terms. WA

ah sure these things happen, will know the next time to turn up half an hour early and check the lights, i will have all manner of spares with me :D anyway, it might have been a good thing, as the tester had to bring her tester with her - it bloody nerve wrecking enough without some 6ft 4" (i am not kidding) monster in the back seat of my little seat, i dont think this legs would have even fitted.

lads, calm down - the testers have jobs to do, its not their fault we have failed at some point - thats there job. why would i want to make their life even more difficult, you are all being silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Er if you are in Dublin, it might take a while before you get another date! Bottom of the list again as far as Im aware! Id be snappin.. What test centre was this out of curiousity.

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote:
    lads, calm down - the testers have jobs to do, its not their fault we have failed at some point - thats there job. why would i want to make their life even more difficult, you are all being silly

:rolleyes:

The tester's job isn't to fail someone, it's to sort the good drivers from the bad drivers so we might actually get to a stage in this country where we know who the bad drivers are and can actually start penalising and restricting them. Picking a technicality to fail someone and keeping them on provisional status for another waiting list period isn't helping anyone.

Lorax wrote:
    Er if you are in Dublin, it might take a while before you get another date! Bottom of the list again as far as Im aware! Id be snappin.. What test centre was this out of curiousity.

finglas, jamestown business park, they have an 3 month waiting list - so no biggy, this is another new centre that has opened up now, so there are three centres in finglas/ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Sure isn't one of the technical questions along with "How would you check the oil" how would you know if a light is working? you could've got some extra points for changing it! go for the appeal

irishbird wrote:
    finglas, jamestown business park, they have an 3 month waiting list - so no biggy, this is another new centre that has opened up now, so there are three centres in finglas/ballymun

Thats mental I applied to finglas in january and still havent got a date yet, wonder could I get it transferred to the new centre or is it automatic?

irishbird1 wrote:
    finglas, jamestown business park, they have an 3 month waiting list

Since when? I had my test there 3 months ago after waiting a year for it. As far as I know, there's been no dramatic reduction in the waiting times since.
    irishbird1 wrote:
    so no biggy, this is another new centre that has opened up now, so there are three centres in finglas/ballymun

Where did you hear this?
    Lorax wrote:
    Thats mental I applied to finglas in january and still havent got a date yet, wonder could I get it transferred to the new centre or is it automatic?

It's automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

irishbird wrote:
    it might have been a good thing, as the tester had to bring her tester with her

Wait a sec...

The tester had their tester with them, and this "tester tester" said nothing about you not being allowed to change your blown bulb?????

So either you shouldn't have been let change it, or its a poor comment on the standards to which testers are tested....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

irishbird wrote:

My gf is waiting over 6 months for her test for the same centre.

Oh and don't forget the few bob (not much I know) that you MAY have saved on insurance from getting your full licence.

If you are waiting a year for another chance, you will llose out on a couple of hundred euros.

When I passed my test a year ago I got €190 taken off my policy right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bonkey wrote:
    Wait a sec...

The tester had their tester with them, and this "tester tester" said nothing about you not being allowed to change your blown bulb?????
    Yes but the tester's tester can't intefere at all with the test. Hopefully they got a bollicking over it later. In this situation though a bit of common sense should have been applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

irishbird wrote:
    ah sure, you have to laugh, only me :D

maybe not! the same thing happened to me, almost the same anyway. My insurance disk didn't arrive in time, it had expired the day before the test. I renewed and went to Quinn Direct in Blanch to get a letter saying that I was covered and the new disk was on the way (it was waiting for me at home:() but the tester wouldn't let me do it. I wrote to Ballina, explained what had happened and got a new test date for two weeks later.

Lorax wrote:

its automatic but if you phone the company RSA or whatever, they will give a date over the phone, i phone up to check they had received my applicant and they "yes, when would like to do your test, we have these dates free" - as far as i see there isnt any waiting lists at all anymore

• Advertisement

Thanks. I must pass my test. Might stop getting hassled by the gards then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you stop doing all the other stuff you have posted about you might stop getting hassled by them, it sure aint the L plates ;)

To get your test quick: Apply -> Send in employers letter -> Ring up and hope you get outsourced to RSA -> Ring RSA and they give you a date then and there.

Test can be had within a few weeks this way.

I work in a bank lol, dont exactly need a car for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Irishbird wrote:
    Same thing happened to me, but I was saved by the fact I had one of those high LED brake lights. The shock of meeting someone who had a spare bulb and knew how to replace it probably scared the tester a bit.

Advertisement