Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on UK reg in ireland

Options
  • 06-06-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi,

my first post here so excuse if this is answered somewhere else - i've been through the import threads.

anyhoo...
    i bought over a uk reg car in January.
    foolishly i let paying the vrt drag on and never got round to doing it.
    now last week my uk car tax ran out so i stuck my documents in the post for my brother in the uk to get at the post office.
    even more foolisly i didnt notice the MOT ran out two days previously so i cannot get the road tax without the MOT.

how do i get around this?

can i get an NCT?
    will the irish dvla allow me to pay vrt and import a uk caar without roadtax or mot?
    can i get the mot in northern ireland?
    could i get on aferry back to the uk and get then get my MOT.

i'm in a mess:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Why do you want to get UK road tax on a car thats located in Ireland???

"will the irish dvla allow me to pay vrt and import a uk caar without roadtax or mot?"

Yes, provided you can produce the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hiya,

Forget about everything to do with the DVLA, as the car is now in Ireland.

Go to the VRO, pay the VRT on the car.
    You'll get a form RF100, use this to tax the car online
    In a week or so, you'll get your VLC (Vehicle Licensing Certificate) in the post
    You can use this to NCT the car.

I'm assuming the car is insured by an Irish insurer? You'll need to give them your new reg. no., you'll be given that when you pay the VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 choz

thanks for the quick reply guys...
    gyppo wrote:
    Why do you want to get UK road tax on a car thats located in Ireland???

gyppo - i was hoping to avoid the vrt for a bit longer ;)

anan1 - great stuff, thanks :cool:
    do i need to take the car to the VRO? is that legal - to be driving a uk reg car in ireland with no roadtax or mot ? (and yes i have irish insurance)

i now have to wait for my bro to send the documents back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

choz wrote:

not a very good comment to make on these boards !!! get the flame retardent suit on!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Be careful - they can seize the car from you if you are taking the piss with the VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

whippet wrote:
    not a very good comment to make on these boards !!! get the flame retardent suit on!! :p
    Yes, strange how in the first post it was ..
    foolishly i let paying the vrt drag on and never got round to doing it.
    .. and then ..
    i was hoping to avoid the vrt for a bit longer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

choz wrote:

Thats illegal, and could result in your car being confiscated.
    choz wrote:
    anan1 - great stuff, thanks :cool:
    do i need to take the car to the VRO?
    No- but they can request to inspect the car.
    choz wrote:
    is that legal - to be driving a uk reg car in ireland with no roadtax or mot ? (and yes i have irish insurance)

No, its not legal. Irrespective of whether you have insurance or not, it is illegal to drive a foreign registered car here, if you are "ordinarily resident" here.

choz wrote:
    i now have to wait for my bro to send the documents back to me.

Ownership documents?
    You need to register your car, and pay Irish VRT and road tax. Fullstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reagrdlessof illegal or not, or the issue of VRT (I'm on the side of the law here, believe it should be payed staright away) but is paying road tax in England not pointless? It will have no effect to the car when its in Ireland, so in effect you may as well give me the money your going to send to England for road tax, for all th egood it will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

choz wrote:
    do i need to take the car to the VRO? is that legal - to be driving a uk reg car in ireland with no roadtax or mot ? (and yes i have irish insurance).
    Unless the car is a classic, they will definitely want to have a look at it, so yes you need to bring it with you. Don't worry about the UK road tax or MOT, they are only of interest to the UK authorities and are worthless here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you lived and owned the car in the UK for an extended period, you may have little or no VRT to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wrote:
    If you lived and owned the car in the UK for an extended period, you may have little or no VRT to pay.

Note: residency in the UK as a student does not count when calculating VRT due. There are different rules regarding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 choz

thanks for all the advice (and concern...)

i am not 'ordinarily' resident here and understood that if i wasnt bringing the car over permanently then i didnt have to pay vrt. i have been stopped three times already by the garda and they havent said anything?

anyhoo.. it seems the concensus is that i'm off the uk roads and therefore do not require uk road tax (duh? why didnt i think of that)

i'm off to the the VRO to get an irish plate and some good ol' NCT!

thanks again !

Advertisement