Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Poker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

OK well Im trying to get myself in there as Auditor!

I dont know exactly what the story is as Im e-mailing Richard Butler now tomorrow so I should know all by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boba_fett3099

I'd like to be involved with the running of good poker soc in UCD as its about time we had one to rival Jeff and Anto! Theresalwaysone i think i know you from the jackpot and we've talked a couple of times, if you need more committe members give me a shout. Im sure myself and probably joe (gl2m) with our experience working in the poker industry for the past year and a half would be able to help make UCD Poker Soc the best in the country from a players point of veiw!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Good luck to you guys with this.

This Butler guy sounds like a right ass. Surely he's not responsible for the allocation of funds to every soc in UCD?

He is the societies officer so he is, and he thinks he is responsible for anything that moves in the college. I will jus have to try and get around him. BMcG has been very helpful and hopefully is steering us in the right direction.

yeah Boba, I think I know you, Was at your table a couple of times, U were tellion me who the other boardsies were one night at the 20freezeout? Pretty sure thats you?

Once I get the Official Go ahead, I will start banging around emails to Poker sites seeing what I can blag and what they can give us.

As far as I know, new chips may be our biggest problem as I think last years were robbed although I have a feeling UCDVO have them. They might have used em for that charity event they ran.

Thanks Lads, hopefully we'll get this going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boba_fett3099

Yup thats me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

We may need to take a small% from prizepool to cover costs for chips and rental of certain venues ( I am not 100% sure though)

just no... its all good for us, we can see why you would do this and how it is beneficial. but if you are joe soap randomer and you here "We may need to take a small% from prizepool to cover costs" while it is legit, all you start to do is think cruooked gits... dont!!!

Yeah I see where your coming from.... and thats why I am hoping that the 2euro reg at the start of the year will at least cover some costs, I dont mind being outta pocket a small bit for this, I'll take it from my bankroll.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Talk to the poker sites about sponsoring your chips and a venue for big events. I'm pretty sure Mike would listen to a good plan for the UCD poker soc. I know we have worked with DIT in the past and it has worked well...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Good work man...

As you know I'll help out in any way shape or form possible (If I'm back next year that is...It is an if...). I'm in America until early september however, but should return with a WSOP main event braclet and some percentage of the prize money could be used to fund the soc I suppose...

I think as we've said to each other infinitely there's a huge demand in UCD for a decently run pokersoc with good, fun events (Inter varsity, scalps etc is definitely the way to go here. Add a bit of variety the odd time). I have to agree with Jeff about the way the tournaments should be for the most part to attract the casual punter as much as possible. Beyond them, there's a core group of players most of whom will be back next year, and they're all good lads with a few characters (We all know who I mean here :p ) and there's no reason at all we can't run a good regular tournament, I mean we've basically been organizing tournaments ourselves on the spot every week for the last few months anyway with no planning, notice or ability to market. We all saw what happened towards the end of the year when there was finally some advertiseing done and we had four full tables going just from literally one or two posters.

Anyway, as I'm in America for the summer I'll be out of the loop so keep us uptodate with PMs here or something. As for who gets what positions in the new look pokersoc, surely a good old SNG is the only way to decide this kind of thing!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yeah I see where your coming from.... and thats why I am hoping that the 2euro reg at the start of the year will at least cover some costs, I dont mind being outta pocket a small bit for this, I'll take it from my bankroll.

buy poker chips etc etc before college starts so you can work out the registration fee then, i am sure people wont mind paying €3 or so at the start of the year to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i reckon dcu poker soc should play ucd poker soc heads up for society bankrolls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i reckon dcu poker soc should play ucd poker soc heads up for society bankrolls...

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I may actually be going to College in UCD next year and could help out if needs be....
    I think your plans for diversifying games etc may be a bit too far forward at present, I would assume, as with DIT poker soc, that the majority of potential society members usually just play the 5er SNG with their mates. I think as a start it is key to play a good few of these 5 euro rebuy type games, I know that some people may find it daunting playing a scalps tourney etc unless they are already comfortable with the society and its members,
    Ie. once people have played a few tourneys in the society they will know a few faces and wont feel embarrased by asking what a scalps chip is etc.

This is tired ramble so I may change it all in the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

We would but they don't have a society bankroll...

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooohh :D:D:D

Edited to say that shoutman makes a good point re scalps.

Yes. I agree with keeping the 5er rebuys until we generate a base of players that are consistently coming. I have thought this through and last year anyway it seemed like people were getting bored of the 5er rebuys after a while and thats why I would like to introduce new types of games ( even if its just once every 3 weeks) as this will keep the "casual punters" interested and add new spice for all the "poker players" present.

I must add I would rather steer clear of the "poker player" vrs "casual punter" stigma as I believe this also had a detrimental effect on soc last year as people were made to feel stupid if they weren't "big names"!

I am in the process of getting the soc handed over, its just a matter now of e-mailing Richard Butler and seeing how he is going to react. from what Ive heard also, we dont have a chance and are fighting an uphill battle to begin with.

However, there is going to be a poker soc next year, no matter what.

thanks lads

ps. Dev, I will be in touch as soon as I get this whgle Auditor/Recognisation of Society/ Bullcrap sorted out. Thanks.

OK lads, so things are lookin up.

I have all the forms and stuff I need to fill out and hand in. I just need to find the previous accounts and forward them to Richard Butler.

I dont believe there are accounts so I might go with the line that the last committee not doing things right although this mite cause uneeded complications later on.

Let me know what ye think or if you have any idea's.

Thanks Lads

OK lads, so things are lookin up.

I have all the forms and stuff I need to fill out and hand in. I just need to find the previous accounts and forward them to Richard Butler.

I dont believe there are accounts so I might go with the line that the last committee not doing things right although this mite cause uneeded complications later on.

Let me know what ye think or if you have any idea's.

Thanks Lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

bumpity bump bump

Pokersoc RIP

• Advertisement

why?

Well, I sent butler an email outlining why we have no accounts, why there are no records of any sort of how society funds were spent but I didn't get a reply, since I received no reply form butler I sent one more email asking for clarification on the subject and was asked to send in accounts, I had already explained all that so I gave up.

UCD Beauracracy......meh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fight red tape with red tape. Get a friend to apply for a new society.

He looked into the socs and found out the poker soc is dead.
    He wishes to start a soc to take its place. The Texas Hold'em Soc (THES)
    Start from scratch. There is no point starting from where the last crowd screwed you, re no accounts and skimming.

BUT i have to agree with jeff, NEVER take a reg on this. EVER. There is no need, all other club tourneys have other overheads, pub games are there to make money. You are neither.
    All you need is chips and cards.

Cards: Contact the Card rooms around dublin, most will easyily give you a set of cards to run a game. The Fitz supplied bolton street with branded decks for one of their years.

Chips:Contact clubs about used chips, they might be free or at cost
    On socs day you should easily clear 500 members, most will never play. Invest in somesort of freebie, contact coke/tayto/lollypop people give something away to increase numbers.
    500 people @ 2euro is more than enough to get started. If it is run well request soc funds at the end of the year, along with your accounts that show you have been none profit, and put on a big game with added prizes

its prob too late to do all that now, freshers week is week after next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

pretty sure all the dit stuff is just going... well no where... myself and anto have left and no one has expressed an interest in taking it over...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hasn't Shoutman left too?
    The bolton street game crashed last year, i stopped going as they wouldn't make common sense changes I suggested.

The Jackpot student soc has a decent game with good runners on thurs, its a 20e FO mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Sorry this didn't work out, Pokersoc was one of the first places I ever played and they were a crowd of thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

It wasn't unheard of a few years back for unofficial socs to just hijack tables that weren't in use. hint....hint

God bless you for trying to deal with Richard Butler, so many funny (libelous, but mostly true) stories about that goober.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

We've been trying to get a weekly cash game or sng going in the student centre, Most people can make it on Thursdays at around 5, first one hopefully we be on the 27th...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

good luck with it, its a disgrace how it fell by the wayside, and should be persisted upon to set up a decent new one

fairplay

Advertisement