Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon training is 5 + 5 same as 10 in one run

• 06-06-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am training for the Dublin city marathon and I am wondering if running 5 miles in the morning and 5 miles in the evening is as useful for your stamina as running 10 miles in one run.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Gerry, I'd say from personal experience no.

Reason being, your body needs to be built for stamina and only by covering the distances at once and making your body run for say 1hr 30 instead of 40mins is where you gain the benifits.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Training needs to be as diverse as possible for a number of reasons. As you are training for a marathon mileage is the major factor in improvement. A couple of 5 mile sessions in a day could serve as your speed work i.e. cover them fast. This type of work will pay divedends at the end of a race when you are looking to speed up. But it must be served on top of an already ample endurance base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Agree with above. Doing two sessions a day is a crucial part of some (advanced) training plans, as it means more mileage can be done and also can be done at a faster speed.

However, for novice/intermediate runners the main focus is on building mileage and endurance. Splitting runs into two sessions is counter-productive in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Have a look at http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/twoadays.shtml

He's a US marathon olypmpics trial winner and his advice always strikes me as excellant. He's against doubles for the marathon distance until you're running 75mpw.

5+5 really doesn't equal ten.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

agree with all the opinions above 5+5 doesn't equal the endurance gains that 10 does. However they are easier to handle and may be a good way to build your mileage to being able to do more 10 milers..

• Advertisement
Advertisement