Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ride a Moped on a Category B?

• 06-06-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a bit confused. Do I need a different license for a moped that is less than 50cc. I have a full Category B license. The Motor Taxation office said I can drive as moped on my B license? but some bikers say I need to get an A1. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

A moped less than 50cc and no faster than 30mph is fine on a Cat B (i.e. car) license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But most, if not all mopeds have their restrictions taken out and can do more than 30mph(I think the exact speed is 45km per hour).

So would the licence be invalid then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

it sure would, you'll need an A1 for those I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

a full category B lisence allows you to drive vehicles in category M (mopeds up to 50cc) without having to get another lisense.

Regarding the restrictors making it invalid, i wouldnt agree with that. Nearly all 50cc scooters have the restrictors removed.

That would only apply to 600cc bikes that are required to be restricted to a certain power e.g. Provisional A lisence= restriction limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

purely as a matter of interest how fast can a 50cc scooter go with the restictor taken off? And will it not destroy the engine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

bjmotors wrote:
    a full category B lisence allows you to drive vehicles in category M (mopeds up to 50cc) without having to get another lisense.

Regarding the restrictors making it invalid, i wouldnt agree with that. Nearly all 50cc scooters have the restrictors removed.

That would only apply to 600cc bikes that are required to be restricted to a certain power e.g. Provisional A lisence= restriction limit.

Category M is not only a 50cc restriction, it is also a 45kph restriction, which is roughly 30mph.

There are some mopeds that will do almost 80kph or 50mph without restrictors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

purely as a matter of interest how fast can a 50cc scooter go with the restictor taken off? And will it not destroy the engine?

I have seen (with my own eyes) a 50cc scooter with the restrictor and airbox / pipe mods getting up to nearly 80 mph :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

KTRIC wrote:
    I have seen (with my own eyes) a 50cc scooter with the restrictor and airbox / pipe mods getting up to nearly 80 mph :eek:

funny how they only upgrade the engine and never the tires/suspension/brakes - gotta worry about that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

KTRIC wrote:

yep il second that.:D Gilera runner 50's are one of the quickest 50cc scooters

• Advertisement

spockety wrote:
    Category M is not only a 50cc restriction, it is also a 45kph restriction, which is roughly 30mph.

There are some mopeds that will do almost 80kph or 50mph without restrictors.

yes i agree your right, but i dont think its taken as seriously on a 50cc scooter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can get close to 80k going downhill with a tail wind on mine, and if there is a bus to get behind I might get a bit more out of it if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

CN will insure me on it with a Cat B so there ya go...... Tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Got get just over 70km on mine - Gilleras seem to be the fastest, Ovettos the slowest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Interesting, I've a Peugeot TKR50 sitting next to the Ducati awaiting a respray and a starter motor. I must look into this speed thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ned78 wrote:
    Interesting, I've a Peugeot TKR50 sitting next to the Ducati awaiting a respray and a starter motor. I must look into this speed thing :)

Sell the Duke, Scooter FTW :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You're just a bad influence you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fingalian wrote:
    CN will insure me on it with a Cat B so there ya go...... Tks.
    Most insurance companies will gladly take your money. It's getting it back when it goes tits up that's hard.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its always been that you could ride a 49cc scooter on a full B licence, but I think this is going to change. The local motor tax office tell me that because of changes to the theory test, anyone getting a B licence from now on will no longer automatically have class M on it. And thats going to make the situation darn confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

Without reading all of the replys i can see where people are coming from but i just found out for sure myself today. If you have obtained your Car 'B' licence in the last year you'll have to now sit a new test for a bike. You are no longer automatically covered which i think is right because its completely different driving to that of a car. In saying this, if you have had a B licence before last year you'll be grand. Check your licence sure and see what it says :P Otherwise you'll have to re-apply your licence to just simply get it added to your current licence (i.e. you wont have to sit the test).

• Advertisement
Advertisement