Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPRS Data on Prepay in Ireland?

• 06-06-2007 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone!

I saw a lot of expertise here on GPRS and the various Irish providers so I thought I'd ask my question here. I've already used the search but I couldn't find anything relevant, except one post that said that 3's internet is only available to postpaid customers (so that one's off my list)

I'm looking for a provider in Ireland that offers full GPRS (or UMTS, even better) internet access to their prepay customers. I already have a prepay sim with Vodafone but there is no way to connect to the internet with them, I can only access their live stuff which is of no interest to me. I called their support but they told me to sign up for postpay which is not an option for me.

I looked at O2's and 3's sites and O2 seem to have it but it's very expensive (1c/kb) and it doesn't say if it's unrestricted or just their portal. And 3's doesn't mention a price / kb. Meteor seems to have good pricing packages (25MB for 12 euro) but it also doesn't mention if it's full access.

I just want to check my own mail regularly without having to get a contract, I'm using 9600 baud dialup to eircom at the moment but it's very slow and expensive.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas!

Regards,

Gekke Prutser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2s is unrestricted completely once you have them provision it on your account (no charge, but best to call data support to make sure the person knows what you're talking about).

I believe Meteor is unrestricted aswell (but again .. could take months to find an agent who knows what you're asking for on the phone!) - someone will no doubt confirm Meteor for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

o2 Data support number: 1850601740

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Vodafone Prepay should work. I have used it before with a mobile phone to connect my laptop to the net when VERY badly stuck abnd it works fine and its only a prepay card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 unavaca

Where did you see the 25MB for 12 euro package? That would be an awesome deal for me. (I'm looking forward to paying 5 EUR/MB...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    Ah, darn. Billpay only users. :) I'll be on PAYG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Vodafone is expensive on PAYG but definitely works
    2c per kb
    http://www.vodafone.ie/dataservices/gprs/prices/index.jsp?datatariffs=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

... I'm using 9600 baud dialup to eircom at the moment but it's very slow and expensive.

It's about 1kb per second, and costs at worst about 6¢ a minute
    (1892 number). That's 0.1¢ per kilobyte or 25MB for €25.60.
    At night and weekends that drops to 25MB for €6.40
    That assumes a 9600 connection. More normal dialup rates will
    be a quarter of that. I'm just comparing what you have already
    in terms of price with the best deal you've seen on mobile broadband
    (which also seems to be just available to postpay users).

Are you looking to just replace the Eircom link or are you looking for a mobile solution.
    With the money you'll spend on trying to go mobile WITHOUT going billpay,
    you'd comfortably pay for a two way satellite link.
    Before anyone moans about it "not being broadband", it's more than good enough to handle regularly checking mail.
    Of course, it would require a contract of a different kind.

Can you not get something done about the quality of the phoneline?
    Requesting an upgrade to ISDN will improve things no end even if
    you can't get broadband (I assume you can't).

Where are you based? Any answers given need to take that into account.
    For example - there's no 3 service for miles around my house, vodafone and O2 are barely detectable, but Voda 3G is just about usable with an antenna, and meteor is rock solid. Some places have wireless internet access that
    can be bought over the counter in local shops.

As for 3's broadband only being available to postpaid users,
    I've seen plenty of posts claiming this to be both true and false!
    I just don't know yet! I'll post to this thread when I know for sure.
    I think you might get email access at least over it.

There are other options on prepay though.
    If you've a meteor prepay you can send mails directly to
    your phone for free by forwarding the mail to
    your-phone-number@mms.mymeteor.ie
    (It's free on meteor billpay, I think it also is on prepay,
    but I couldn't afford to go prepay so I don't know.)

It costs 30¢ to reply to such a mail from your phone,
    but you get to read it and know there's mail
    waiting without having to go online.

Hope you get something sorted,
    but refusing to go billpay is removing almost
    all of your options before you even start.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This is my second rant about 3pay internet in 24 hours :)

the bill pay internet is very good and im using it with opera mini to post this (until im finally rid of 3 on the 17th)

the pre pay internet is run through a proxy whose existence is denied by customer care. The proxy reformats the data for a phone and takes its time doing it. The result of the proxy is:

only very slow http access. No https

no applications except the built in browser

no using the phone as a modem with a laptop

its basically useless

Thanks for the clarification Vimes.
    Could you type up the internet settings
    used by the prepay and the billpay?
    If you could list the APN, IP addresses, proxies etc. it would be really useful.
    Seems crazy not to be able to access https sites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

niallb wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification Vimes.
    Could you type up the internet settings
    used by the prepay and the billpay?
    If you could list the APN, IP addresses, proxies etc. it would be really useful.
    Seems crazy not to be able to access https sites!

web settings
    connection name:3
    data bearer: packet data
    access point name:3ireland.ie
    user name:none
    prompt password:no
    password:default/blank
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

advanced settings:
    network type:ipv4
    phoner ip address automatic
    name servers: automatic
    proxy server address:none
    proxy port number:0

mms settings:
    connection name:3 MMS
    data bearer: packet data
    access point name:3ireland.ie
    user name:none
    prompt password:no
    password:default/blank
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

advanced settings:
    network type:ipv4
    phoner ip address automatic
    name servers: automatic
    proxy server address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port number:8799

the settings are the same on 3pay

You my friend are a star.
    I'd worked out most of them, but a few errors.
    I'll try it out next time I'm in Dublin.
    Coverage is non-existant out this way.

Should probably be added to one of the stickies up top.
    They're likely in need of a bit of an update anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

whisht wrote:
    Vodafone Prepay should work. I have used it before with a mobile phone to connect my laptop to the net when VERY badly stuck abnd it works fine and its only a prepay card

Which access point do you use with Vodafone Prepay? isp.vodafone.ie doesn't work for me, I get a GPRS error. It used to work for me before while I was on billpay with the same account, but I switched back to prepay as it was much cheaper (I'm still on the More To Say plan with 3c/min rates)

By the way, thanks everyone for your replies! I was looking for GPRS mainly to leave my mailbox open on my phone all day and I have since gone with Meteor, as they are the cheapest I could find on prepay. The 25MB/12euro(I saw this on the business site so it was ex VAT) offer didn't work but I pay half a cent per KB now, which is not too bad if you use IMAP for your email in Idle mode, this uses very little data.

This topic helped me a lot as well!

[...]The result of the proxy is:

only very slow http access. No https

no applications except the built in browser

no using the phone as a modem with a laptop

its basically useless

Just to confirm: Does the proxy block email ports too? If it would allow IMAP access it would work for me, but otherwise it's useless for me too.

niallb wrote:
    It's about 1kb per second, and costs at worst about 6¢ a minute
    (1892 number). That's 0.1¢ per kilobyte or 25MB for €25.60.
    At night and weekends that drops to 25MB for €6.40
    That assumes a 9600 connection.

[...]

Hope you get something sorted,
    but refusing to go billpay is removing almost
    all of your options before you even start.

Hi NiallB, thanks for your extensive answer!! I cut it a bit short in the quote part to improve readability for others reading this thread but I appreciate it!

The 9600 baud dialup I mentioned I use on Vodafone Prepay, hence the 9600 baud limitation (they don't support HSCSD on ready to go). I purely use it for email/some webbrowsing on the road, and it works ok albeit a bit slow. I'm on the great (now-cancelled) "More To Say" tariff which offers me weekend calls for 3 cents per minute to 1892150150 (1.80 per hour). (Week calls for 10 cents/minute). So I used to use this on the road. I don't use it at all at home (I have broadband at home). But it's of course too expensive to leave it on just for checking my email, and also impractical because it's circuit switched and locks my phone into busy.

About the bill pay thing: I may not be in Ireland anymore a year from now so I don't really want to go on any contract. Also I like the protection from excessive charges: The worst that can ever happen to me now if I download something big on GRPS by mistake is me losing my call credit. And the voice rates I'm paying are way better than any bill pay tariff can offer at this time.

The MMS option on Meteor is very interesting, thanks for that!! I currently got a Meteor card with the GPRS ISP enabled, and I'm running it for a few days to see how much money my IMAP connection consumes per day (at 0.5 cent per kB). It should be OK as it's very lightweight in terms of data. But if it costs too much the MMS would be a good option, thanks for the hint!

ciaranfo wrote:
    O2s is unrestricted completely once you have them provision it on your account (no charge, but best to call data support to make sure the person knows what you're talking about).
    Is this true of O2 in the UK as well? (Yes, I know this is an Ireland board :) I was going to pick up a O2 PAYG SIM while I was in London. My primary concern is being able to use GPRS data without any proxying.

Thanks!

Advertisement