Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downtime...

Options
  • 06-06-2007 10:37pm

Glad to see site back, but just to let you know when I was logging in I received an error page. It went to the normal page (the 'welcome to boards' one) and then failed while trying to move to whatever page I was viewing.

Received a database error a minute or two after the site came back up (SMcCarrick mentioned on boards.us that it was up, so I wandered back) but it seems back ok now.

Any news on what caused it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lag is something crazy- I've tried both Muppet and Pie with no difference whatsoever. Random db errors too- cannot open some fora until second or third attempt. Must get fix....... (for me that is......)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

smccarrick wrote:
    I've tried both Muppet and Pie with no difference whatsoever.

That's because there's no difference. None, nada. Dunno how many times I've said that now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for all the hard work Admin types :) Great to have the site back.

/breathes deeply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Did someone let sput loose around the DataCentre again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

The downtime was very bad today. I was waiting for a pm off somebody. Could whichever of you tech geeks is responsible not let this happen again.
    thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

The downtime was very bad today. I was waiting for a pm off somebody. Could whichever of you tech geeks is responsible not let this happen again.
    thanks.

thats a bit harsh it's very rare these things happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

thanks.

That's a shame. Beruthiel only sends out the admin passwords once. If they got lost, then tough totty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

thanks.

It won't happen when you make admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

thats a bit harsh it's very rare these things happen,

yes they do. If you've been around boards a while you'd know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Myth wrote:
    Any news on what caused it?

The old hamster died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

quarryman wrote:

I mean for such long periods, it often goes down but not for a long time usually

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

quarryman wrote:
    I'll take a shot in the dark and say that boards has gone down in an unscheduled fashion maybe twice (including last night) since Christmas. The first time was only an hour or so.

For a massive-volume website run entirely by volunteers, that's pretty damn good. Some corporate sites don't have that good a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

thanks.

Maybe when you get your Admin powers you can take over the job of caring for the hamsters. You know do things like shift rota, medical checks and the greasing of the wheel. I'm sure boards could do with somebody who has those skills. It's all a little too much for the tech geeks to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

thanks.

Shut your pie hole you tard!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In all fairness it's a massive site with a lot of users and a lot of traffic, the fact that this doesn't happen more often is a miracle. But man did it suck not having boards.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Shut your pie hole you tard!!!
    I thought he was trying to be funny (and failed miserably.....)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thanks.

If they PM'd you while the site was down then how the hell would you be able to read it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If they PM'd you while the site was down then how the hell would you be able to read it. :confused:

If he was expecting a pm reply from a user, but boards was down so they could not send it. Any better?

And I don't think he needs to be called a tard, most people are not aware of the amount of effort it takes to keep something like boards running. Maybe enlighten them to that before insulting them.

krazy_8s wrote:
    If he was expecting a pm reply from a user, but boards was down so they could not send it. Any better?

Sorry kinda misread what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

seamus wrote:
    I'll take a shot in the dark and say that boards has gone down in an unscheduled fashion maybe twice (including last night) since Christmas. The first time was only an hour or so.

For a massive-volume website run entirely by volunteers, that's pretty damn good. Some corporate sites don't have that good a record.

actually it hasn't gone down that many times but there's regular database errors and before the server move; major lag in pages loading.

it seems it ain't fixed still, i'm getting timeouts now every 3rd or 4ht page i load.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, still not right for me now either, getting database problems a lot today, but usually ok when I try a minute later. Very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have any of our betters deigned to tell us what the f-u-c-k went wrong again yesterday and if they can give us an assurance that it won't happen again short of a calamitous systems failure.

Mike.

ps I won't be renewing my sub - why pay for shoddy goods?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Next thing you'll stop posting. We'll miss you mike65.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Paying all this money to the boards.ie staff is really terrible when this semi-state service goes down so often.

Ecksor I doubt you miss me somehow. If I did stop. If.

Mike.

ps the front page was 'hanging' for 30 mins, I put it out of its misery. The site is pretty much unnavigable. And still no explaination. Maybe we don't deserve one. *shruggs*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Afaik, Asok got up of the servers to actually do the Jack Bauer of craps and then all went haywire. (I think his pussy needed feeding tbh)

Regi had a night of fun. So much that he has decided to buy shares in Lyons tea and not actually give up his smoking.

Spankeh wrote:
    Afaik, Asok got up of the servers to actually do the Jack Bauer of craps and then all went haywire. (I think his pussy needed feeding tbh)

Regi had a night of fun. So much that he has decided to buy shares in Lyons tea and not actually give up his smoking.

Lol Spankeh- that Hamster (or is it a guinea pig) dance rules....

I don't see what people's problem is- Boards.ie is an excellent site and the admins do a good job. The subscription is only a token gesture towards the running of the site. Well done on getting the migration over as well as it happened- I've seen sites vanishing for weeks on end during migrations......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

There was some database corruption that led to the site being taken down for maintenance while the damage was repaired. With the boards database being the beast it is this took time, No one will give you any sort of assurances on the stability and availability of this site. It is pretty much a guaranteed fact that most software will throw a wobbly every now and then and what matters how the issue is dealt with and rectified. I'm sorry that this was not done at the speed some people wished it to be done however as far as I can remember tom's hair cannot bend the rules of time and space and sometimes fixing something just takes time.

• Advertisement

Thankyou Asok, what those in charge seem to forget so quickly is that no information is what really pisses people off.

Mike

ps Opera 8.54 is useless atm for boards, I'm now using v9.21 and its fine.

pps while trying IE6 (ugh) I typed out a long PM to Victor and the flipping
    "could not connect to server" mesage apeared and the message was lost so I'm just seriously peed off right now.

Advertisement