Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone identify this plant/tree/bush?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Its growing over my garden shed and was here when I arrived although not as pronounced as it is now, it needs a bit of a trim :)

06-06-07_2152.jpg

06-06-07_2150.jpg

The flowers look like magnolia and smell like magnolia but I've checked out some magnolia trees online and as you can see, this looks more like a bush and the flowers are small in comparison. The trunk stems from behind the shed and is fairly hardy at this stage.

06-06-07_2153.jpg

sorry the pics are not great quality and so small, had to use phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Clematis montana.

Clematis%20montana.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thanks a million. not sure if its exactly the one, the leaves are a little different and I think the flowers have more petals but clematis sounds about right.
    cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

They look a bit like frangipanis. I know they're not though.

I bought one of these clematis (hydrangea peteolaris) a little while ago and while they're not the same, the flowers do come out in clusters like this before opening
    hydrangeapetiolarislarge.jpg
    its probably another member of the clematis family (very matured) I just couldn't have imagined clematis having such coverage but it is beautiful and smells divine :)
    love it

may not be of great significance but had a guy in from a garden centre today and he said it was a rose.
    just wanted to let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm inclined to think its a rose too, a Rambling Rector I think http://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/container/r/rambling_rector.html
    have a look at that link.

yep, thats the one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have seen a RR growing all over a large archway then up into a mature tree and draping down again. Amazing sight, absolutely beautiful, but I hope you have plenty of space for it!

I've spent the morning out there fixing up a few other bits and pieces and I'm wondering exactly how I'm going to manage it. I don't have a huge garden but at the moment thankfully it seems to have confined itself to that building.

It was here when I arrived and the houses are at least 30 years old so I have to assume that its been here at least half that (i've been here eight) and it hasn't roamed any further in that time, although it has gained in height and depth.

When it comes to it I figure I'll just take some shears to it when the flowers have fallen because its just way too big for delicate pruning :)

and yes, it is an amazing sight. I've totally fallen in love with this plant and can't wait for it to flower every year. The scent takes your breath away too.

thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Advertisement