Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sat nav for <€300

• 06-06-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Whats the best sat nav to use in ireland for under €300?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭wba88

can anyone help??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Airis T920

Read the other threads in this forum.

thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I've got the Garmin 250, just under the E300 mark a few weeks ago, have no complaints.

have you been outside of dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 MOD

The tomtom one europe is 299 euro in Halfords.
    It has latest Navteq Maps + 1 GB of interal Memory. I have used it around Dublin and gone to Mayo with it - very impressed with the detail on it even around rural parts of Mayo (I am from Mayo so I can say that).
    Halfords also do the Garmin 250 for 299 euro - same Navteq maps although I prefer the tomtom screen - it gives an visual (left/right turn and distance)
    to the next maneuver at the bottom left of the screen, Garmin "write" it at the top of the screen.
    However if you go for the tomtom make sure it states Navteq and not Teleatlas on the back of the box. These are the map providers and for Ireland the best one is still Navteq.
    Avoid the tomtom one UK & Ireland as it uses Teleatlas maps and because tomtom have recently contracted to use Teletlas in all their units if you go for the tomtom europe make sure it does not mention Teleatlas on the box - this would be a very lalest release and they may not have reahed the shops yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

wba88 wrote:
    have you been outside of dublin?

Have brought my Garmin 250 from Dublin down to Cork and around Cork city, pretty good coverage, down to house numbers in a lot of places. Also had in down in west Cork in the heart of the country side, was happy with it here aswell. Also had it around the midlands, showed up places I didn't think it would. If u have anywhere in particularly ur interested in I can check if its loaded on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭aben3313

Hi I have the Airis T 920 and find it to be excellent it comes with route 66 using the latest version of Navteq maps and it only costs €265 ish on pixmania.ie, that includes full european mapping. The Airis is very user friendly which I could fully appreciate after messing around with a mates Garmin 350i, his cost way more than mine but his was a bitch to use, hope this helps?:D :D:D

Are they all upgrade-able?
    Not minding the price what is the best between the following
    Airis T920
    Garmin 250
    Tomtom One Europe
    Do they all have POI?

What is route 66 navigator 7 like in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

wba88 wrote:
    What is route 66 navigator 7 like in ireland?

It's a pretty decent piece of navigation software. However, if the Route 66 website is to be believed, depending on whether you opt for the mobile, PPC or PND versions you'll get Navteq maps dating from Q3-2005 to Q2-2006. It's very confusing trying to work out what you should expect with any given version.

I bought a Route 66 Chicago PND with Navigate 7 on it with Q2-2006 mapping for UK & Ireland and I'm very happy with it. At €259 (Halfords) it wasn't as cheap as the various Airis options, but I have much greater confidence that there will be long term support and updates for the Chicago.

thanks wibbler, i can get 15% off halfords so €220 isnt too bad. is that just the software? Im not looking for software for a pda or mobile either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

wba88 wrote:
    thanks wibbler, i can get 15% off halfords so €220 isnt too bad. is that just the software? Im not looking for software for a pda or mobile either.

The Route 66 Chicago 6000 is a dedicated personal navigation device, like the TomTom or Garmin Nuvi devices, only cheaper. It comes pre-installed with Route 66's Navigate 7 software and Navteq Q2-2006 mapping for UK & Ireland and major roads of Europe. There are other Chicago units with full mapping for Europe, but Halfords don't seem to have them.

cool, might head down and check that out 2moro. thanx for the help wibbler

Advertisement