Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

My sister is after falling pregnant and she is a single parent or will be. We are quite close and we were discussing the way forward. Money is not plentiful for her. We were wondering how much it would cost approximately for the childbirth in any of the hospitals. She was onto a private hospital and that is nearly 5,000 for two nights. What would private care cost in a public hospital? Thanks folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

She can be a public patient at no cost to herself.

I would suggest that she contact the hospital and enquires about private and semi private care and get the figures.

I wne tpublic with my first and semi privte with my second but I had VHI and it covered just about all of the semiprivate charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

If your sister doesn't have any health insurance - it'll cost serious money >10k. If she has VHI/BUPA it'll cost approx 3.5k (and some can be claimed back against tax). I had a baby last year in Coombe, private - consultant cost 3k, scans 250, bloods (triple test/AFP) 150. VHI covered all my costs for stay in hospital (12 days - normally 5 days, but was admitted for a week before delivery due to complications) ) and also section. HTH
    To be honest if money is tight - its an awful lot of money for the chance of a private room and quicker (ish) appointments - especially if straight forward delivery and she is only in hospital for 2 nights. the level of care you receive is the same whether public, semi private or private. Best of luck to your sister whatever way she decides to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thaedydal wrote:
    I wne tpublic with my first and semi privte with my second but I had VHI and it covered just about all of the semiprivate charges.

This is our story too. For semi-private, if you have health insurance, you only pay 500 euro (you need this at the 3 month checkup iirc) and that's the end of the cost to you. You can claim tax back on this too.
    ArthurDent wrote:
    the level of care you receive is the same whether public, semi private or private.

That's worth reiterating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Another thing worth pointing out is that there is absolutely no guarantee that you will get a private room if you are a private patient.

We went semi-private and the care we got couldn't have been better. We have VHI and total costs for us were about €750.

Advertisement