Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roland SH-201 or Juno-D * Newbie question *

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭

I'm completely new and green to all this, but I want to play keyboards again and make music.

I've just got a Dell Inspirion 1501 with dual core processor and have ordered Sequel by Steinberg. I hear its great as an entry level.

This forum has provided me with lots of information as has Harmony Central. I've had my eye on a Roland SH-201, does anyone have any first hand info on it?

Also I've read about E-MU X-board, what about this?

I used to play keyboards in an indie band in the early 90's, but lately I have an emptiness that seems like it could be filled playing and creating music. I love Orbital, Royksopp etc and if I could spend my time creating electronic music and not watching tv, I would be one happy bunny.

Any advise on Rolands or any other "starter" synths are much welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd advise neither tbh. They're both a bit pants.

If you're looking for a contemporary VA you could do worse than try either the Alesis Ion or Ms2000. I've both (well, the stripped down Micron version of the Ion) and they're nothing short of amazing. Similarly, search for any Novation gear second hand, or even go further afield and look for a Juno 106 or similar. I really don't like either of those synths, especially at their RRPs - there's far better deals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Thanks jimi_t.

The Ion is hard to get as its discontined but I've looked around on youtube at that and the Micron, they seem great, I may yet get the Micron.

Also I've been scoping out the EMU x-board 49, are you familar with that, its looks/sounds cool and its at a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Let us know how you get on with Sequel!

Advertisement