Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cobra alarm re-sync after new battery?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Friend went to replace old battery in BMW 523 (Oldish, around 96 I reckon)

It has a Cobra alarm, not too sure what model, but the fob has 2 buttons, however only one was used to open/close central locking. The original BMW key is just a key, no buttons on it

Now the car won't turn over, not even crank. Does anyone know if this is something to do with the Cobra alarm needing re-syncing (Fob to alarm) or is it the car immoboliser (If it has one?). The fob is working fine, little red LED lights up when button pressed

Many thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm assuming the fob used to lock and unlock the car but now it does nothing even though the little light on the fob works? This happened to me on my last car with a Cobra alarm - it just needs to be re-synced. That was last year, and I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. I've just pulled this out of Google though, and it does sound familiar: "Re- synchronisation......If at any time, the remote key does not operate the system, stand close to the vehicle and press and hold down both buttons until the LED on the remote goes out - approx 10 seconds. Release both buttons - the LED will come on constantly.Then press button A for approx 1 second - the LED will flash - this should re sync."

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Have a Cobra myself and haven't had to do this - does sound familiar though. I have the manual for it at home and I can look it up. I think there may also have to be some turning on and off of the ignition too, cos otherwise you could teach your remote from any Cobra alarm you may come across in a car park... One thing to note though is that this will reset the code on the main alarm, so any other keyfobs will also have to be reprogrammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bring it to MJ Systems between Merchants Road and the Docks, or In Car Technology in Liosban, Tuam Road, if you can't get it sorted.

Advertisement