Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guestimation

Options
  • 06-06-2007 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

I just failed my DOE today and luckily, it doesn't seem like too much has to be done. Would anyone hazard a guess as to how much the following will cost to get sorted?

Service Brake Performance
    Sub Fail: Mechanically propelled vehicles
    reason: braking efficiency

Service Brake Imbalance:
    Sub fail: Wheels on same axle
    reason: more than 30% difference in braking power

Rear Lamps/Reg Plate Lamp
    Sub fail: registration plate lamp
    Location: Both number plate lamp covers (missing plastic covers around bulbs)
    Reason: not working or not fitted (1 lamp out)

Headlamp Aim
    Sub Fail: European type headlamp --Focus headlights (low)
    reason: the junction in the 15 degree cut off and the horizontal cut off line does not lie beteen the 0% and 2% vertical lines

Steering Linkage
    Sub fail: Track Rod/Steering Arm
    Reason: Obviously loose

That's everything, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be given my luck with the van. At least it doesn't sound too bad:confused:

Does anyone have any notion what I should expect to pay for all that to be put right?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say about 250 euros, depending on where you take it. You should start writing a log about this van and all its problems cormie, Ford might take pity on you and give you a present of a new one.;) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

junkyard wrote:
    I'd say about 250 euros, depending on where you take it. You should start writing a log about this van and all its problems cormie, Ford might take pity on you and give you a present of a new one.;) :)

Yeah thats a good option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

feck the doe and get this new 1 your on about then our eyes will be safe from "van" posts by cormie lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

cormie wrote:
    Does anyone have any notion what I should expect to pay for all that to be put right?

The price of a new van?

In the long run I think it would be better for you and your business to invest in a more reliable motor now rather than later and rather than pouring more money into the van you currently have as everyone knows what trouble you have had with it now!!

Just think if potential customers of yours were to read this forum and all about your van... certainly wouldnt inspire confidence if they read all the mishaps you have had :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well I have the funds waiting to buy a new one, I'm just waiting for the right one and if I get this one up to a sellable standard with full tax and DOE, I might be able to get some money back:)

I might try that log for the laugh, including all the links to my many threads! Where would be the best place to send it I wonder? :) Sure what's an extra van to them? lol.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Service Brake Performance
    Sub Fail: Mechanically propelled vehicles
    reason: braking efficiency

Service Brake Imbalance:
    Sub fail: Wheels on same axle
    reason: more than 30% difference in braking power

€230, needed new brake drums as something was leaking.

Rear Lamps/Reg Plate Lamp
    Sub fail: registration plate lamp
    Location: Both number plate lamp covers (missing plastic covers around bulbs)
    Reason: not working or not fitted (1 lamp out)

€8 from scrapyard

Headlamp Aim
    Sub Fail: European type headlamp --Focus headlights (low)
    reason: the junction in the 15 degree cut off and the horizontal cut off line does not lie beteen the 0% and 2% vertical lines
    €250:eek: :eek: Apparently the adjusters on my headlights are broken so I need new headlights, then pay for alignment and labour!

Steering Linkage
    Sub fail: Track Rod/Steering Arm
    Reason: Obviously loose
    €30 from fastfit

With regards the headlights, does this not seem a bit mad? Can they be adjusted without adjusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junkyard wrote:
    You should start writing a log about this van and all its problems cormie
    I think we need a new sub-forum in Motors - Cormie's Van.

Who's up for Moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

How much of the 250 euro is for the lamps and how much is for the fitting/alignment? Maybe look for them in a scrapyard then fit them yourself then get them aligned in a garage? You could possibly get brakes from a scrap yard too. There is a breakers called traynors in northern ireland, i think they mostly do commercial vehicles, might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The whole Cormie's van debacle has served as the greatest living example of the maxim "You get what you pay for". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The price of a new van?

In the long run I think it would be better for you and your business to invest in a more reliable motor now rather than later and rather than pouring more money into the van you currently have as everyone knows what trouble you have had with it now!!

Just think if potential customers of yours were to read this forum and all about your van... certainly wouldnt inspire confidence if they read all the mishaps you have had :eek:

Is this the same van that had the starter motor hanging out of it a few months back after a clutch replacement???

I'd say you need rear brakes replaced for a start. What make & model van is it again???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The main problem with Cormie's van is not his posting here looking for answers, it's the damage that image is doing to his business. I'm sure he'll get it sorted eventually, but when self-employed, word of mouth is your best friend and worst enemy rolled into one.
    I had to endure something similar with my first cheapo van, it ran well but was on its way out. As soon as I got the chance to get a new motor I didn't wait around.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cormie wrote:
    Well I have the funds waiting to buy a new one, I'm just waiting for the right one and if I get this one up to a sellable standard with full tax and DOE, I might be able to get some money back:).

If you have even a vague belief in Karma you should scrap that van.:)

In fairness, the van was bought for €2300. I'm sure at least that has been spent on it since, if not a multiple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Let me get this right... cormie posted for ages about buying a van four courier work. Then posts for ages about the van being a piece of **** that's about to fall apart at any moment, potentially killing him and destroying its cargo, and THEN puts an ad in his sig for the courier work he's doing in the POS van he's posting about?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Let me get this right... cormie posted for ages about buying a van four courier work. Then posts for ages about the van being a piece of **** that's about to fall apart at any moment, potentially killing him and destroying its cargo, and THEN puts an ad in his sig for the courier work he's doing in the POS van he's posting about?
    yep, now you're up to speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Savman wrote:
    The main problem with Cormie's van is not his posting here looking for answers, it's the damage that image is doing to his business. I'm sure he'll get it sorted eventually, but when self-employed, word of mouth is your best friend and worst enemy rolled into one.
    I'll probably look elsewhere when I need transport for ice sculptures ;)

Well you'll all be glad to know I'm just waiting on a newer van to be sorted out by a dealer and then I'll be sorted, hopefully have it by the end of the week:)

I've had many return customers because even though my van may break down, the service is still top quality;) I even had return business from some guys who had to give me a push start when my van broke down doing a job for them and actually, I had another job last week for a guy who had to borrow jump leads off some carnies to power up my battery when my van broke down in Cork before, so I must be doing something right:D

what van did you end up going for cormie?

Well I haven't agreed on anything, but providing the van the dealer is bringing down from the North is in as good condition as described, I'll be getting a 02 Ford Transit 350, long wheel base, high roof, white, with 71,000 miles for 10K inc vat with a 3 month warranty and a full DOE and if I need to bring it in for repair, I will be given a replacement van (hopefully for free). Which is a pretty good deal I think, or I can pay 500 extra for a 12 month warranty with breakdown service. So if it's all as I hope it will be, I'll be buying it asap:)

By the way, just on the headlight issue, I got 2 new headlights in a scrapyard for E90. The problem with my ones was that one of the adjuster knobs was broken and the other was too stiff to move, but on the new ones, I can't move them either. What's up with that? Seems to be the same on all 8 nobs on the 4 headlights:confused:

• Advertisement

why would you buy broken headlights? :confused:

WD40 TBH

Goodwill++

I didn't inspect them before I bought them:o I must try a bit of wd40 alright! The thing is though, the screws are all plastic so it's not like it's rust or anything that's making them hard to turn, unless they are supposed to be stubborn?

a garage should be adjusting your headlights anyway, unless you have the equipment you can't get them aimed correctly.

Well the first I saw of a problem with my headlights was when the mechanic showed me the right screw had broken and the left headlight screw was too stubborn. So that makes me think there might be a chance he broke the right one himself and didn't want to break the left one too so just said it needs new ones:confused:

jeez, you need to find a new mechanic, you're not getting much value out of him, is this the same guy that "fixed" your starter?

He's probably 'cheap' though. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stop tormenting yourself (and us) Cormie. Just buy a good van.

lol, he's anything but cheap! The reason I went back to him is because instead of fixing my starter, he put in a brand new one at no cost to me (on top of the mounds I'd already paid for repair). So that was nice enough of him but he's already made half it back on doing the brakes. I have another guy I'm going to start going to who I've been told is good (and cheap:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Cormie, I have a pair of headlamps to suit your van if you want them for free. I'm pretty sure they're O.K. I'm in county Cork if you want to arrange collection.

Advertisement