Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia firmware updateing

• 07-06-2007 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering & i'm sure it may have been posted before. On the selected nokia handsets that can be firmware updated by the user. would it be possible to flash the mobile with the manufactures standard software update or will you only be able to update with the networks own branded software?? if this makes any sense to you lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Hey guys, just wondering & i'm sure it may have been posted before. On the selected nokia handsets that can be firmware updated by the user. would it be possible to flash the mobile with the manufactures standard software update or will you only be able to update with the networks own branded software?? if this makes any sense to you lol

From the Nokia web site it will the latest version of the operator's firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Be careful with this... I know someone (read as: me, I'm a big fool!) who backed up everything to the memory card, left the card in, flashed it and then found a security code had been put on the memory card after and lost all my content! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

use a programme called nss to change product code and then u can get the generic firmware :) voids the warranty tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd be very wary of doing this yourself. I brought mine (N95) into a Nokia service center and while flashing it they killed the phone :(. Luckily since it was them that did it and not me it'll be repaired or replaced but its still a pain in the ass. Wont get mine back for another week yet and I only had it for a few days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

I flashed my nokia 6680 a few months ago, easy peesy once you follow the tutorial. Cant remember where i got the tutorial though but here it is. The only phones it will work with are listed here http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate
    Here’s a tutorial that will teach you how to update your phone’s firmware to a Nokia original version (without your operator’s personalization) with NSU (Nokia Software Update – the official Nokia program).
    NSU reads the product code of your phone and it searches its database for a newer version of the corresponding firmware in order to upgrade it. This is why you will need to change the product code of your phone into a non-branded product code, before running NSU.
    Download the « NSS » software in order to change the phone’s product code. This is a beta version of a program that you can download on the site of its author here : http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS10383.zip
    After that, download NSU here: http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate

NOW WE CAN BEGIN:
    Install NSS
    Install NSU
    Connect your phone and wait for Windows to install the drivers.
    Open NSS and click on “Scan for new device” on the right-upper part of the window
    Click on the icon « Phone info »
    Click on “Scan”
    Now you can change the product code (on the right of the « phone info » window of NSS). For a Nokia 6680, type the product code 0521637 (this is the product code for France!) and then mark the case “Enable”.
    Now press “Write”, and your phone’s product code will be changed (you might think that nothing happened, because the phone is still in normal mode, and the changing of the product code only takes a couple of seconds, but don’t worry, the product code changed !).
    Close NSS and you can proceed now with the NSU flashing.
    When the flashing with NSU is over, start-up your phone and you’ll have the pleasant surprise that your phone’s firmware is the latest Nokia non-branded firmware in date!

NOTE: I advise you to disable any antivirus and firewall on your PC during the flashing.

In order to find out the product code for other phone models, download the firmware for your phone model, connect your phone to NSS, click « Scan », then « Flash », and after that look for your product code when on « Market » you will see your country. Write down this number, then you can start the manipulation as described above. Anyway, we will soon have the product codes for all the models, so we won’t need this step.

Since i cant remember where i got the tutorial i cant tell you where to get the product code for you phone, but id say a few minutes alone with google will sort ya out. But if you have a 6680, the one above will do.

I also read that once you have finished the flash you should change your product code back to the one you had before using NSS. Prob so if anything goes wrong with your phone later and you have to send it back to O2 or whoever, they wont be asking why you have a french phone:cool:

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

cheers for the info guys.

Advertisement