Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DX10 may suck afterall

Options
  • 07-06-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Pretty damming look at Dx10 technology over on the Custom Pc website. Cant link directly to the article but THQ claim people who own 8600 cards should play their game Company of heroes in DX9 mode :eek: http://www.custompc.co.uk/

The 8800 Ultra couldn’t do the game justice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well i'm sticking with my 7600GT until the games demand an upgrade. i wont bother with a dx10 card (despite having vista, dualcore etc. etc.) for another 6 months to a year because there's no actual dx10 games that are worth the upgrade as of yet... and even pretty games that use dx10 (like coh) are far better in dx9, and don't look an awful lot better in dx10 mode anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Personally I can’t afford to upgrade right now, but this may be a blessing in disguise. I really haven’t come across anything my machine could not cope with so far, except supreme commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

bah dx10 "PATCH"...thq just broke the game

....still waiting for crysis XD#

oh my good rofl i just spotted this?

531433776_de3a045d89_o.gif

see the test setup? see the lack of vista? the only os able to support DX10? what a giant failure test......either Dx10 now magically works with Xp....or its not real dx10?

My guess is its DX10 allright, the numbers are abysmal for such expensive hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It's not the hardware or software in my opinion just a "bad patch" the changes in game no way justify such a dip in performance.

The same thing happened with some of the first DX9 games for example one of the Tomb Raider games had a DX9 mode and it was terribly slow for a small bump in IQ (or even the original Halo which was a travesty of a port from DX8 to DX9).

Wait till you see other studios with lots of experience like Crytek or Valve jump in before making final judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its not a full dx10 game. Its just a patch to add some dx10 features. If it was a full dx10 game they would not be able to play it on xp.

Hardwidge wrote on the Custom Pc forum:
    “It was indeed a misprint, as I copied and pasted the specs from our usual graphics test rig and completely forgot about the OS.

The tests were indeed done under Windows Vista Ultimate (32), as opposed to Windows XP SP2.”

Because it may be the patch at fault, I will reserve my judgment with DX10. Having said that the fps are total crap for the money on every demo we have seen so far, I won’t be buying DX10 hardware until Crysis proves itself worthy. On another point the new Opengl 3.0 standard is due out later this year as well, and will apparently need opengl 3.0 hardware to run! Doom 4 anyone?

EDIT: from the general thrust of the artical, it appears to be a problem with 2x AA or higher, and the volume of objects onscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

imo , if you making a Dx10 game make it so from the start , dont release a patch that screws up the game....slight fail by thq....the balls in cryteks park now , hopefully il get running nicely on ma soon to have 2900xt

Advertisement