Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellets

Options
  • 07-06-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone got pellets from Balcas at end of Feb/early March and if they experienced any issues with the quality of the pellets, delivery etc?

Really would appreciated feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 watchingandwait

Builder woman we got a bulk delivery from Balcas on the 16th march (Cork) and there appears to be little or no dust in them. The first batch though delivered in October/November had alot of dust. The first lot burned away fine though, dust and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Do you mind me asking watching what kind of boiler and silo you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

You guys already had this conversation builderwoman....see your "Gerkros WP boiler & Storage Silo.....anyone??" Thread......

So we did! Thanks Billy. My head's wrecked with these crowd and their pellets! Sorry waiting...for silly repeat questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I got a delivery in March and noticed a lof of smoke from the boiler but after a bit of adjusting to decrease the amount it was being fed it appears to be ok now. I don't think there is a lot of dust in the pellets.

A tip I have done is to get a thermostat installed on the boiler so it only heats the water in it when it is below a certain point. I have noticed I am using a good bit less pellet since I got this installed.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Lastbuilders..sounds good idea...do you have a gerkros boiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cossie1

Has anyone any experience with Kedco?? I'm considering their system...I like the fact that they will guarantee supply of pellets.

Are the worth considering.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Constanople

Builderwoman, Gerkros boilers.......heap of junk, speaking from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Constanople

Builderwoman, ignore last comment......Gerkros boilers are surprisingly good for the price. The problems you are having are most likely due to bad quality pellets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Builderwoman, ignore last comment......Gerkros boilers are surprisingly good for the price. The problems you are having are most likely due to bad quality pellets.

You'd wanna make your mind up there Constanople!

Cossie1, A friend of mine has the Kedco franchise out west so I dealt with him, I only have it in a few months but happy enough so far. They have local reps in all areas so if you check there website you should be able to locate the guy down your way...

Chimpster.

• Advertisement

Constantanople...it is a heap of junk...then it isn't?? Having one I'd have to agree with your second comment and ignore the first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cossie1

Thanks Chimpster

Do you get your pellets from Kedco also?? Is the quality of the pellets ok??

Yeah, I got the pellets from them aswell. Pellets quality seems to be good so far anyway. There is a very fine grey ash in the ash pan which is a sign that the pellets are of a good quality and the boiler is commissioned correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So we did! Thanks Billy. My head's wrecked with these crowd and their pellets! Sorry waiting...for silly repeat questions!

QED on the whole Wood Pellet Fairy Tale if you ask me............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sorry...QED? You've lost me??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry, just a throwback to school, and maths problems.... Quad Erat Demonstrandum

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The whole wood pellet fairytale was been proven....you are not a believer then??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cossie1 wrote:
    Has anyone any experience with Kedco?? I'm considering their system...I like the fact that they will guarantee supply of pellets.

Are the worth considering.

Many thanks
    cossie, my mates the Kedco rep in Kildare so give me a shout if you need any help with some info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

Must be a fairy tale. A year ago every second post was raving or installing wood pellet stoves, now I don't see as many queries. I will divulge from the OP but we all want to use cleaner or cheaper fuel to help the enviorment and it does give one a buzz to know that we are doing our bit. But the manufacturors of alternative energy are taking advantage of this lets say goodwill and are selling or conning people into expensive alternatives. Oil is still the cheapest way to heat a house and the best alternative is to insulate thr house to a high spec. Apolagies OP for piggybacking your post

arghh wrote:
    Must be a fairy tale. A year ago every second post was raving or installing wood pellet stoves, now I don't see as many queries. I will divulge from the OP but we all want to use cleaner or cheaper fuel to help the enviorment and it does give one a buzz to know that we are doing our bit. But the manufacturors of alternative energy are taking advantage of this lets say goodwill and are selling or conning people into expensive alternatives. Oil is still the cheapest way to heat a house and the best alternative is to insulate thr house to a high spec. Apolagies OP for piggybacking your post

You sure arghh?

We all try and justify what ever we have put into our own houses and here is why I choose Wood Pellets.

Based on current prices bulk pellets work out over 35% cheaper than home heating oil. You can get a good quality pellet boiler for less than 6k. Take your grant out and your left with a net cost of 1800. You then have the additional cost of getting a silo so you can go bulk. There are many options on this, lets say an outdoor silo as its saves on garage space. Typical cost of one of these is 2200. Total net cost. €4k. Add to this that you have a modulating boiler which runs far more efficiently than an on/off oil boiler. ANd with AIB giving 2k back on your mortgage if you put renewable energy into your house so net cost is down to 2K.;)

Take oil. A boiler and a tank will set you back less than 2k.

So the difference is minimal and with rising oil prices and the threat of carbon taxes I'm happy enough I've made the right decision.

• Advertisement

Builderwoman,

I have a Dor opop boiler,

Lastbuilders

Did anyone see George Lee's programme on RTE 1 Monday night about oil running out? It may not all be down to cost in the long run!

Regarding wood pellets and quality it would appear from research that the way the pellets are being blown in i.e. above 1.5 bar pressure could well be the cause of excessive amount of dust we are experiencing. Can anyone tell me how long their delivery takes to fill their silo and who they are using for bulk deliveries at the moment please?

I got my boiler name wrong Builderwoman. The Opop is the smaller version. I got the Dor / Scotte installed .

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CiaranF

I no longer deal with balcass as they are too unreliable, a colleague of mine put me in touch with www.bioenergy.ie who are now supplying our home, their efficient and reliable and seem to be able to guarantee us with a years supply of pellets available when needed saving us on storage space

Thank you CiaranF, really appreciate that link. Have put in a request for quote with them. I too am tired of Balcas! Are Bio energy pellets pretty much same price per tonne? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 therussian

I just got an order of bagged pellets from leinster pellets in blessington. Good price and quick delivery. www.leinsterpellets.com

the russian, ditto we have just started dealing with leinster pellets for bulk deliveries and they are excellent. And guess what at the moment they are selling balcas pellets and because they blow them in properly the quality is excellent. Plus LLyod is a really nice guy to deal with...much more reliable than Balcas and only a little more expensive. We are happy to pay more for much better service and proper delivery. At least now we have pellets and not dust!

Advertisement