Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL join query

Options
  • 07-06-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

SELECT cf_topics.id,cf_topics.board_id,cf_topics.topic_name,cf_topics.orig_poster,cf_topics.replies,cf_topics.views,cf_posts.topic_id,cf_posts.date,cf_posts.time,cf_posts.poster 
    FROM cf_topics,cf_posts 
    WHERE (cf_topics.board_id = '.$board_id.') AND (cf_topics.id = cf_posts.topic_id) 
    ORDER BY cf_posts.date DESC, cf_posts.time DESC

There is two results for the query but both results are returned twice!??

There is two tables one has the topic information and the other has all the posts for the topic, if a topic has 3 posts in it the topic will show up 3 times in the topic listings when each topic should only show up once!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Use GROUP BY ...
    SELECT cf_topics.id,cf_topics.board_id,cf_topics.topic_name,cf_topics.orig_poster,cf_topics.replies,cf_topics.views,cf_posts.topic_id,cf_posts.date,cf_posts.time,cf_posts.poster 
    FROM cf_topics,cf_posts 
    WHERE (cf_topics.board_id = '.$board_id.') AND (cf_topics.id = cf_posts.topic_id) 
    GROUP BY <unique_field>

Also, strictly speaking, this is not a JOIN. AFAIK, multiple WHERE clauses are less efficient than JOINs. INNER JOINS show unique entries from the first selected table, with the appropriate fields from the joined table. JOINs implicitly include fields from the joined table for selection.

Could rewrite the above like this:
    SELECT <fields>
    FROM cf_posts
    INNER JOIN cf_topics ON cf_posts.topic_id = cf_topics.id
    WHERE cf_topics.board_id = '.$board_id.'

HTH
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The fields i enter in the rewritten code, do i put the table name before them? its giving me errors if i do it like this:

Got the joins working fine, now i have added in the group by but its only showing one post on a topic even if its got more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Missing the FROM criteria in your first one..

Dont put in the GROUP BY clause with INNER JOINs, the statement will return unique records using your WHERE criteria, and "join" the fields from other tables using the identifier you have specified.

What are you trying to return? All posts under a specific topic? Or topic information for a specific post?

What does this statement return?
    SELECT cf_topics.id, cf_topics.board_id, cf_topics.topic_name, cf_topics.orig_poster, cf_topics.replies, cf_topics.views,cf_posts.topic_id, cf_posts.date,cf_posts.time, cf_posts.poster
    FROM cf_posts

SELECT cf_topics.id, cf_topics.board_id, cf_topics.topic_name, cf_topics.orig_poster, cf_topics.replies, cf_topics.views,cf_posts.topic_id, cf_posts.date,cf_posts.time, cf_posts.poster
    FROM cf_posts

This returns all the topics/threads. Its retrieving info from two tables, one had topic information and the other table has all the info for all posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Use GROUP BY ...
    ...Also, strictly speaking, this is not a JOIN. AFAIK, multiple WHERE clauses are less efficient than JOINs. INNER JOINS show unique entries from the first selected table, with the appropriate fields from the joined table. JOINs implicitly include fields from the joined table for selection.

HTH
    Stephen

Strictly speaking it was a JOIN. Depending on the flavour of SQL you use it might be the only way to do a join. Efficiency wise I have never seen it make any difference whether you use ANSI or non-ANSI joins and everything I've read confirms that.

Ziycon wrote:
    FROM cf_posts

This returns all the topics/threads. Its retrieving info from two tables, one had topic information and the other table has all the info for all posts.

So what is it you actually want this query to return?

i want it to return one copy of each topic to be listed cause at the moment when the topics are displaied if there is say 3 replies to a topic it will list that topic 3 times in the topic listings instead of just once.

Ziycon wrote:
    i want it to return one copy of each topic to be listed cause at the moment when the topics are displaied if there is say 3 replies to a topic it will list that topic 3 times in the topic listings instead of just once.

In that case why do you even need to include the Posts table in your query? Just select the columns you want from the Topics table.

Beano wrote:
    In that case why do you even need to include the Posts table in your query? Just select the columns you want from the Topics table.
    The way the tables are laid out is to stop replication of data, below is a brief decription of the tables:

cf_topics

id
    board_id
    topic_name
    orig_poster
    replies
    views

cf_posts

id
    topic_id
    body
    poster
    date
    time
    ip

Im retrieving everything from cf_topics and retrieving poster, date and time from cf_posts to display the last poster on the topic!

• Advertisement

Got it sorted, thanks for all the help!

Advertisement