Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of changing banks..

Options
  • 07-06-2007 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Is there much hassle involved in changing banks?

Specifically i'm thinking of moving from Ulster Bank to AIB.

It's not that i've had any major problems with Ulster Bank but i'm beginning to tire of them. After being refused a credit card (accepted that) then having another application denied 6 months later and being told you must wait 8 months between applications I though I would apply with another bank.. so to do that I need my last 3 months statements. Grand so, only I dont have them because they were never sent to me so I ordered them in my branch (that was about 6 months ago) and I still havnt seen them. I applied then for a laser card so that I could withdraw money in the U.S while I was there... application denied?! That's all in the past now but still annoys me when I think of it and now i'm thinking of a change.

My account is actually a student account (i think :rolleyes: ) with Ulster Bank because of the €650 overdraft they offered when opening..which was promptly spent and I still havnt properly repaid it, always end up dipping into it every month so I just want rid of it now.

I like AIB's online banking which is the main thing I would be looking for so they are out in front but I just have a few questions.

Not sure if its a problem but i have a personal loan with ulster bank which i would still need to keep paying and also my wages and insurance would need to be switched to any new account also - do banks do this or does it have to be done yourself? I think I remember some banks offering to do this.

With a holiday coming up I need the full use of that overdraft at the moment so if I did switch accounts I would want to withdraw all available funds to put in the new account and then pay back the overdraft a bit from every paycheck kinda way, again would that be possible?

Sorry for the long rambling post just wanted to get my thoughts and questions out there, I would appreciate any views that people can offer or suggestions for me. Thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you are doing a full switch (i.e. do the official switcher service and close your UB account) then the banks will switch over all your direct debits/standing orders without you having to do anything really. However, by doing this AIB would alert UB that you were switching accounts and even if you did request the UB account was left open they may revoke the overdraft facility on it.

If you need the overdraft for a holiday maybe it's better to initiate the switch once you get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

because credit card applications go through the ICB (Irish credit bureau) its unlikely you'll get a CC just by moving banks. there is a reason for being refused. is it because you're listed as a student?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

It very well could be. I'm not changing banks purely to get a credit card I just have had enough of Ulster Bank at this stage losing forms and such. And also to reject a laser card application, I mean its just a debit card for my own money so it is kind of rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I was looking to open a new bank a/c recently. TBH my experience was somewhat shocking. At the moment I have a BOI a/c and an AIB a/c with all the goodies (i.e laser and credit cards, loans and overdrafts etc).

Before I start I wanted to put 150 a week into this a/c and I needed a laser card. You can call this a/c my slush money for the week :D . All the branches were in the city centre.

Went to PTSB first. No problem opening the a/c but wouldnt give me a laser card unless I had 6 months statements. Otherwise I would have to wait 6 months. From my point of view that is ridiculus and even more ridiculus because I work in a bank. I quietly walked out the door.

Went to Ulster Bank next. Same story.

Went to NIB next. They looked like the most uninterested bunch ever. "You'll have to make an appointment" :rolleyes: Same story as the rest, six months bank statements for a laser. I was actually very disappointed with NIB, my dad has his business a/c with them and they were without a doubt the most unprofessional bunch ever. Staff had no interest.

Fed up, I went up to AIB. However they only open a/c's from 10-12 and 2-4!!!! What about the customers on lunch!!!!! They would have given me a laser card with out the bull**** but their account opening times leave a lot to be desired.

The Halifax hadnt their current a/c offering ready but I suspect that they would have had a problem with having a laser card.

I didnt go to EBS but the last experience I had with them was about opening a deposit a/c (just incase they demutualise). Again I got the "You'll have to make an appointment" bull****. I didnt go back.

I ended up opening another a/c with BOI. Less hassle, less bull****. Okay its easy for me to say that because I work for them but as a "customer" I found that compared to the other banks there was less hassle and less dilly dallying about laser cards and bank statements yada yada yada. So there you go, BOI first and AIB next if you can get up to the bank in time.

Advertisement