Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No drinking under any circumstances?

• 07-06-2007 4:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

So I'm in the office of a friend of mine last week. There's three of us shooting the breeze about nothing in particular. Eventually the conversation came around to the Guinness Storehouse (reason not relevant here). So we had 'the great view from up there' conversation and then talked about Guinness itself. So I personally hate Guinness but managed to drink half a pint the last time I was up there - barely, when in Rome and all that. And the other girl said pretty much the same thing, really doesn't like Guinness but while she was up there she had some, why not it's included in the ticket price. So my friend is a non-drinker, never drank ever as far as I know. So I asked if she was up there would she give it a taste and she said no. I think that is really strange, I appreciate she doesn't drink but while you were up there why wouldn't you have a taste, it's not poison after all. There are no religious convictions about alcohol or anything like that. Just seems afraid to drink even a taste. Is this strange? (Although she's also a vegetarian so...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not unusual at all. Some people don't gamble - would you insist they buy a lotto ticket if they passed the GPO during some sightseeing? Seeing as they were right there and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Victor wrote:
    Not unusual at all. Some people don't gamble - would you insist they buy a lotto ticket if they passed the GPO during some sightseeing? Seeing as they were right there and all?

Not the same thing Victor (long time no see btw). You're paying a reasonable amount to get into the Storehouse and they are giving you a FREE pint as part of the admission. So why not even have a taste if you never have before? I'm not talking about being a non-drinker here but to never ever taste it seems odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

meglome wrote:
    Not the same thing Victor (long time no see btw).
    Indeed.

I don't think I've ever tasted Guinness, it just doesn't appeal to me, nor most other beers (I'm not a beer man).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I knew a militant non-drinking guy, who ended up having his first drink on Holidays. Never realised the fun that could be had, and always viewed being drunk as an outsider to be something bad, and uncouth. So, people's minds to eventually change ... but I'd prefer to be the type of person who would try something, not like it, than not try it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

The whole gambling comparison wasn't really right, I guess it would be like if a person that doesnt gamble went to Vegas, I presume they would use a slot machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I know someone who doesn't drink because alcoholism runs in the family, Parents, uncle, Aunts. It's just a decision they made as they have seen the effects alcohol abuse can have and don't want to take the risk, which is fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She wouldn't drink it anyway due to being a vegetarian. I have never drank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I don't drink a great deal - maybe 5 or 6 nights a year I will have a glass of wine or a few beers. I have never understood the fascintation some people have when a person (with no intention of driving anywhere later on) is in a licensed establismenet and turns down a drink. The thing that amuses me most is that it never seems to happen with any other substance. Imagine having a free all-you-can-eat in some kind of sea food restaurant...

A: Will you have some fish?
    B: No thanks, I don't want any.
    A: Ahhh go on...
    B: No thanks..
    A: Just a little one...
    B: No I'm alright... thanks all the same.
    A: Is it some religous belief?
    B: No its just not my thing.
    A: Not even a small one?... look just try some of mine.

Ridiculous isn't it? But replace the word "fish" with "pint" and you probably have a conversation that many people will have been involved in at some stage in their life.

Worse still I have had a number of people (who didn't know that the odd pint now and then) ask me if I don't drink because my father was an alcoholic who beat me and it brings pack painful memories!!! (No, I've just chosen not to drink tonight.)

The fish equivalent presumably being....Was your dad killed by a great big fish? Or did he literally slap you around the place with a wet fish when you were young and it brings back too many bad memories.

If it was a tour of a Carrolls cigarette factory would you be as fascinated if a non smoker turned down the option of a free cigarette?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Does anyone else feel like a pint?? Jesus I'm thirsty! Hard to get a nice pint in Stockholm!

She wouldn't drink it anyway due to being a vegetarian. I have never drank it.

Emm why not? even a taste?

(Don't get me wrong Guinness is horrible but I had to taste it to establish that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

meglome wrote:
    Emm why not? even a taste?

(Don't get me wrong Guinness is horrible but I had to taste it to establish that)
    They use isinglass, which is made from fish innards, as a fining (clearing) agent, ergo not suitable for vegetarians.

stipey wrote:
    I don't drink a great deal - maybe 5 or 6 nights a year I will have a glass of wine or a few beers. I have never understood the fascintation some people have when a person (with no intention of driving anywhere later on) is in a licensed establismenet and turns down a drink. The thing that amuses me most is that it never seems to happen with any other substance. Imagine having a free all-you-can-eat in some kind of sea food restaurant...

A: Will you have some fish?
    B: No thanks, I don't want any.
    A: Ahhh go on...
    B: No thanks..
    A: Just a little one...
    B: No I'm alright... thanks all the same.
    A: Is it some religous belief?
    B: No its just not my thing.
    A: Not even a small one?... look just try some of mine.

Ridiculous isn't it? But replace the word "fish" with "pint" and you probably have a conversation that many people will have been involved in at some stage in their life.

Worse still I have had a number of people (who didn't know that the odd pint now and then) ask me if I don't drink because my father was an alcoholic who beat me and it brings pack painful memories!!! (No, I've just chosen not to drink tonight.)

The fish equivalent presumably being....Was your dad killed by a great big fish? Or did he literally slap you around the place with a wet fish when you were young and it brings back too many bad memories.

If it was a tour of a Carrolls cigarette factory would you be as fascinated if a non smoker turned down the option of a free cigarette?

I understand the pressure that non-drinkers get in this country and that's not fair. But all I'm talking about is a taste, nothing more.

A few drinks are NOT harmful but one cigarette is so not the same thing.

Alun wrote:
    They use isinglass, which is made from fish innards, as a fining (clearing) agent, ergo not suitable for vegetarians.

Jesus being a vegetarian must be a great laugh. I LOVE FOOD, it's one of my favourite things I just couldn't do it.

Although I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about this fish additive so that's not the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

meglome wrote:
    But all I'm talking about is a taste, nothing more.
    I don't see the difference. The person doesn;t want a drink. Thats their choice. The person doesn't want to taste. That, again, is their choice. How they may or may not be related is frankly none of your business, and any expected or pre-decided relation between the two is no excuse for you to try to override their decision with your insistance.

I don't see the difference. The person doesn;t want a drink. Thats their choice. The person doesn't want to taste. That, again, is their choice. How they may or may not be related is frankly none of your business, and any expected or pre-decided relation between the two is no excuse for you to try to override their decision with your insistance.

Not insisting just very curious. For me I'm willing to try most things especially if they are not harmful. Life is for living afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

meglome wrote:
    Jesus being a vegetarian must be a great laugh. I LOVE FOOD, it's one of my favourite things I just couldn't do it.

Although I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about this fish additive so that's not the reason.
    It's get more complicated ... isinglass is also used in wine, and then there's the use of rennet (extracted from calves' stomachs!) for making cheese.

Alun wrote:
    It's get more complicated ... isinglass is also used in wine, and then there's the use of rennet (extracted from calves' stomachs!) for making cheese.

Was in the big Chinese on Moore Street earlier with a friend. We had four different dishes, just randomly picked off the menu. No idea what some of it was until we got it and even then I wouldn't have much of a clue about the ingredients. I love the element of surprise in this kind of food selection.

Didn't this start off about drinking :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Alun wrote:
    Only very expensive wine is nice and there are plenty of vegetarian cheeses. :)
    Meglome, vegetarians can love food too, there is a lot more than meat out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Why is there a perceived need to try something before deciding on abstinence?

How many people avoid eating offal, but have never tried it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my god, how old are you...thats plain old peer pressure. if someone flat out doesnt do something,why think it weird for them to stick by that when in a place that creates it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Minder wrote:
    Why is there a perceived need to try something before deciding on abstinence?

How many people avoid eating offal, but have never tried it?
    I have no problem with people abstaining without ever trying something. Its just when they get preachy about whatever their abstaining from that annoys me.

I think I tried a sip of the parents' guinness once when I was little and hated it
    Wouldn't try most beers either - I've tried one and I know I can't stand their taste so no point in trying more

I think the OP wasn't being insanely insistent btw, just curious
    thankfully I've never met anyone who doesn't make an issue out of my rarely drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

eh actually the post was written about me by a friend. Its all true. i don't drink or eat meat. Its no big deal and i don't ever feel i miss out (on drink or nice food!) but it is funny how people who don't know me react on being told i don't drink. if i went to Guinness i'm sure i would enjoy the tour but the fact i don't drink would not change.. the fact that it is free would not make me want to drink, i often get offered free drink (when i go home to my folks or out with friends!!). Honestly to me its not that big deal.. i don't really understand why just because its free i would want to start... (by the way the fact i don't eat meat and i don't drink are not linked...) I don't really get why the people want to see me drink (my friend who posted it not the only one... why do irish people want to see other people drink...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

... why do irish people want to see other people drink...)

Did we ever have the ability to enjoy alcohol in moderation ? The last two decades have seen a huge increase in the affluence of the general population. We have more money to spend on entertainment than our parent's generation ever did. Is there a correlation between that and the rise in binge drinking ?

Or is there a link between the loss of self control that alcohol induces and the ability to say "I have had enough".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

meglome wrote:
    why wouldn't you have a taste, it's not poison after all.
    Well technically ethanol is classed as a poison. If alcohol was illegal and people were drinking it the media would be saying "these teens are drinking poisonous industrial solvents, used for degreasing jet engines".

I know people who drink and went to holland yet would not sample any cannabis, even though they would admit to thinking that alcohol is more harmful and not consider cannabis to be addictive.

And as mentioned guinness is not suitable for (strict) vegetarians.

That 'strict' vegetarians thing makes no sense. Mars used that term n an annoucement recently too. Isinglass is not suitable for vegetarians. If you drink guinness and don't eat meat that would make you, technically, a pescetarian. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

pescetarian... I love it...
    The fine line between Vegetarian and vegan is becoming blurry for me …I just try not to eat meat.. going into products which may have some animal in them become complicated and one might end up starving.. it’s a worry…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That 'strict' vegetarians thing makes no sense.... technically, a pescetarian. :)
    It makes sense to people who are not strict pedants ;) It infers the person considers themselves a vegetarian yet technically is not in the eyes of people like yourself. Like how some people would think a catholic who uses a condom is not "real" catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Only very expensive wine is nice .

Utter BS, what do you consider "very expensive" ?

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote:
    It makes sense to people who are not strict pedants ;) It infers the person considers themselves a vegetarian yet technically is not in the eyes of people like yourself. Like how some people would think a catholic who uses a condom is not "real" catholic.
    I'm just going by what the word means in the dictionary, not being very pedantic really. If I consider myself the king of England and in the eyes of people like yourself, I am not... ;)
    Oh and a catholic that uses a condom is a catholic that is sinning, all catholics sin, I don't think anybody says they are not real catholics.
    Utter BS, what do you consider "very expensive" ?
    How can you call my taste preference 'Utter BS', pff.
    Cheap local store wine tastes like crap to me, have to spit it out.
    When I went to a winebar in dublin, the wine was lovely.

Advertisement