Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths PP1

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

It's going to be unveiled fairly soon!

And i'm bricking it! I know understand why the lure of the blue paper is too much for some on the day!:D

I'm going to have to be strong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im doing ordinary level and im hoping for an a1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

OL and I think I'm fecked :(

Ugh pray for a paper I can do.. I need this :eek:

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Wasn't the worst paper we could have got by any standards but i still managed to trip fairly hard on the complex numbers in question 3 , it probably gonna cost me alot of marks. How everyone else do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pretty meaty paper one, the sequence and series were very difficult and the de moivres was surely impossible?

Differentiation may have saved my bacon, paper 2 will be deciding alot for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

SIMPLE!!! haha Nice paper, didnt even look at 4&5 though!

• Advertisement

DeMoivre's was very reasonable i thought? Lovely simple Calculus in 6 7 and 8 !

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

ordinary paper was fairly simple... did Q1,2,3,4,5,7,8 stumbled a bit in Q2 but overall i think it went very well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Calculated I should get 61% in that (pass). Question 1- full marks, a good half of question 2 and 3, question 4...about a third of the marks, question 6- half and question 7- two thirds...

The differentiation was a bit awful, couldn't fid the formulas around them, BUT for the first time, I managed to get the car- stopping calculus bit, woo...

Not counting it, paper 2 should be slightly better..mmm..statistics/line/area...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

i calculated and think i got 96% on paper 1... very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Unfortunately I messed up on part B and C of Q3 but other than that (and including that) the paper was simple.

Loved the integration question with working backwards!

• Advertisement

Simple:eek: Oh dear.

I totally blanked on Integration it was a disaster! Then i skipped to question 5 and probably picked up like 15 marks :o

Couldnt do Q1 Biii or C ii
    Q2 couldnt do C
    Q3 couldnt do de Moivres (B)
    Q5 couldnt do B or C
    Q6 went a bit wrong with part C but nothing major
    Q7 again part C

Probably a D for paper UNO

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Jesus that was the easiest OL Maths paper in years!!!My god!Couldn't believe it.I probably got a good 80% on it,the only difficult question was 6, and the last bit of 8, so I skipped 8 and only did parts (A), (B) and (C)(i) in 8.I'm so happy!!Now I can afford to do **** on paper 2.....and its the easier paper anyways!!Hurrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

i reckon i failed paper 1, gonna spend the whole weekend studying for paper 2, :(

couldnt do any whole question right, i even think i messed up on 1a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

i thought it was a pretty fair paper for HL...:D my least favourite was the q3.. integration q was a gift really...i was able to check back over it all at the end so i was pleased enough..whatd ye think of q1 b? i dont think i got out the 3rd bit...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I am not sure about it, don't think I did outstanding. (HL). Question 7 was the easiest I think. Didnt like 6c and think I did something wrong in 8c. The other Cs were ok except in the second part of question three after using the forumla I didn't know how to finish.

i reckon i failed paper 1, gonna spend the whole weekend studying for paper 2, :(

couldnt do any whole question right, i even think i messed up on 1a

I nearly got Q7 all right, messed up on a few little bits of C and unsure about the solutions to them!

Irish listening in a bit ughhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

paper1 (OL).. i thought it was excrutiatingly easy.. i worked out that i should get like 90%.

Q1-- full marks i'd say.. found it really easy
    Q3-- I did this as an extra, cos i had an hour to spare.. should get full marks.
    Q4-- all grand except B(iii)
    Q5-- Fine except C(ii) (iii) my worst question:(
    Q6-- grand except C(ii).. though according to others i got it right:confused:
    Q7-- All fine, easier than i expected.:D
    Q8-- grand except C(iii)

i attempted all.. though im really bad at paper 2 so... i hope i did do well in paper one to bring marks up for paper 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Jesus that was the easiest OL Maths paper in years!!!My god!Couldn't believe it.I probably got a good 80% on it,the only difficult question was 6, and the last bit of 8, so I skipped 8 and only did parts (A), (B) and (C)(i) in 8.I'm so happy!!Now I can afford to do **** on paper 2.....and its the easier paper anyways!!Hurrah.

Same here!, I probably got at least a B1 in that paper.
    It looked tricky at first, but it was ok I reckon.
    Mind you I can see how the presentation would put some people off considering the B(ii) in 3 involved simple fractions that even though easy, people would not expect.

It "looked" a little different to previous years.
    Q6(B)was a joke IMO.
    I forgot the last bit of c(ii), but I got 50/50 in the second algerbra question.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Just predicted my result for paper 1 (HL): 81%...thats an improvement of 38% from the mocks, im so happy!!!

Q6 (c) was impossible, got the first part....but the other two parts...no idea!!

Hopefully we will get the same type of paper for paper 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

The higher level paper was nice. Easier than last years but there were a few little complicated parts.

Q1 - I think I got it all right. But the part (b) seemed too easy. I think they were trying to trick us!

Q2 - Great but couldn't do C(ii) Put down something like (x-(a-3))to the power of 2! I was trying to factorize a massive equation. So funny!

Q3 - Great! I wasn't sure if I did c(ii) right though. I used the -b+- formula to get the roots. Was that right?

Q6 - Couldn't do part (c) at all! Did part (i) of (c) but didn't do (ii) or (iii). Was really annoyed with this question.

Q7 - Great! Wasn't sure about c(ii) though. Wrote that because (1/3, -1) is a max point the curve doesn't go higher than it and thus doesn't touch x-axis. Is that right?

Q8 - Fine except (c) was hard. Got 22/3 and 20/3. I did it twice!

I reckon I got a B. I was a bit disappointed cause I feel I could hav gotten an A but hey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Yeah HL was okay except for 6c that just didnt make an sense to me.. Did anyone get that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Sam Hamilton....yeh...I wrote that as well as a plain stab in the dark.

I used the b+- formula and couldnt finish?
    Complex Numbers was complicated this year with no easy simple solutions.

Reckon I got 65%+ at the moment from the ones I got right which is up from 42% in my mock, so I'm happy at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

i got the first part out...but was completely lost in the second. i did reasonably well. nowhere near full marks though...except in integration i aced that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

I thought the paper was really different this year. Dunno how else to put it! Wat was with that f(x) g(x) thing?? i didnt even know how to start it. Question 5(c) was also kinda hard. and question4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

the key to the f(x)+g(x) think i think was that a constant differentiates to 0 so therefore f'(x)+g'(x) would equal 0. Unfortunately i differentiated them wrong in part (i) so that screwed me over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I was happy enough with it.
    Q1 - All very easy
    Q2 - Very last part of c was slightly tricky, but I think I got it
    Q3 - Again it was nice, but the last part of c was tough, tried the -b formula and got a mess of algebra..
    Q5 - Very nice
    Q6 - Was pretty standard, c(i) was very easy, for c(ii) I let the two differentials equal eachother and got 0, which means when the functions are added they equal a constant. Took a guess that that was a rule and it turns out I was right. For c(iii) i just couldnt get it!
    Q7 - No problem.. b(ii) couldnt have been easier!
    Q8 - Again it was nice, loved the working backwards one and having to work out c. Possibly confusing rote learners!!!!!!! For the area, I think I got it right, not too sure. Certainly had my method right. Everyone I spoke to had a different answer. I think I'll try it again now.

Lets hope paper 2 is just as nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

aw no never even thought of that!! And is the answer in part (ii) the same as part (iii)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Anychance of anyone posting a full soloution ??:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Maths went ok for me. Was able to get in bits and pieces all over the shop. I'd say I got up around 65% on it, which is quite good. Need to keep the head now for papaer 2, and if all goes well, I may be sneaking in an honour. Lets hope now

• Advertisement

Theres a rule in the log books tan inverse x/a in case nobody spotted it

Advertisement