Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths PP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Considering I posted here earlier this morning saying I was going to fail big time, even I found it quite easy. I was delighted, Q's I have never seen before or the arrangement I never seen, I manipulated them and came out happy :) I answered q's that people I know who are very good at maths didn't. I'd say I got a good 65-70% considering I was panicking this morning thinking I was going to fail - It's quite good :)

Paper two I should be able to match that or if not get better. Better get my head down. I've done no work over the last 2 years foolishly :mad:

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Theres a rule in the log books tan inverse x/a in case nobody spotted it

That worked for the f(x) part, but the g(x) was 2/x, so it doesnt work. I said g(x) was equal to cot-1(x/2) since 1/tan=cot. That worked fine. The other option was to use a substitution and chain rule it. Let u = 2/x

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

mathew wrote:
    That worked for the f(x) part, but the g(x) was 2/x, so it doesnt work. I said g(x) was equal to cot-1(x/2) since 1/tan=cot. That worked fine. The other option was to use a substitution and chain rule it. Let u = 2/x

i got something like -2/ square root (4+xsquared) for g'(x) :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

playa3 wrote:
    the key to the f(x)+g(x) think i think was that a constant differentiates to 0 so therefore f'(x)+g'(x) would equal 0. Unfortunately i differentiated them wrong in part (i) so that screwed me over

But how would you then go about part (iii), also any one have a full solution for Q.2 c (ii), their beginning to bug me at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

was the answer for the area on 7c 34 or 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ordinary Level

Question 1 : perfect

Question 2 : Grand, cept for C, made an attempt but i know its wrong.

Question 3 : perfect

Question 4 : perfect

Question 6 : couldnt get the part (ii) of C

Questiobn 7 : Such an easy question and i got the last part of C wrong! im so pissed off :mad:

Question 8 : Couldnt get the last part of C

I really want an a1 so i think i need to do a near perfect paper 2, *Sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

______ wrote:

I didnt get any answer for 7(c) because they were just show questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

______ wrote:

What was 7c again??:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

OL Paper 1 went very well for me! Aced questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 which means I'm in with a shot for the A1. I had some trouble with the Gps in Q5 and parts of Q6 (not the graph part obviously...). Roll on Paper 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

Q7 - Great! Wasn't sure about c(ii) though. Wrote that because (1/3, -1) is a max point the curve doesn't go higher than it and thus doesn't touch x-axis. Is that right?

you have to show that the second derivative is always negative after the max point, ie always decreasing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

did every question on the higher level paper.. Was a pretty straightforward test. Messed up 6 C and I forgot to relate the root(15 + 8i) from the C (1) in C part (2)... The bastards didnt say hence... haha! :D Pretty stoked though, hopefully got around 94% in that.

What was 7c again??:o

i mean 8c, last question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OL paper was fantastic, though im no good at maths generally. I thought they were just handing out marks in Q1, but that's normal. 2-4 were manageble, after that it was dodgy (me not the paper). Did 6+8 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Q1
    (a) Piss
    (b)(i) Let b^2-4ac = 0, no bother
    (ii) Used factor rule here, think I made a mistake though, since one root was a constant
    (iii) As per last, messed up here too methinks
    (c)(i) No bother, needed to insert p^2 to get second part
    (ii) Easy if you grouped P^2 outside, otherwise messy

Q2
    (a) Textbook
    (b) Again textbook
    (c)(i) No hassle
    (ii) No hassle if you realised its almost exactly the same as previous and you were able to keep the question tidy/bearable.

Q3
    (a)No hassle
    (b)(i) Long, but textbook.
    (ii) Nice because you could check the answers
    (c)(i) No hassle
    (ii) No hassle, using the result from (i)

Q4
    (a) Textbook
    (b)(i) Piss
    (ii) Not bad at all, afaik I got 5/n
    (iii) This bastard took me about 10 minutes to get it. I got confused between the n>=1 in the question, and the Un+1 in the question. So messy, but I think the examiner had got to accept it.
    (c)(i)Not bad,
    (ii) Not bad, got 17 afaik

Q5
    Didn't do it, the binmial looked rather messy.

Q6
    (a) No bother
    (b) (i) Textbook
    (ii) Textbook
    (c)(i) Textbook to be honest, g(x) is simply a chain rule, or you could have used a trig rule.
    (ii)I summed the differentials and got zero yadda-yadda
    (iii) The way I did this is I said since it sums to a constant for all x, then any value of x summed is that constant (fx + gx), couldn't finish it though ran out of time.

Q7
    (a) Textbook
    (b)(i) Implicit differ. textbook
    (ii) Piss tbh.
    (c) What the hell is with this question? Almost seemed too easy.

Q8
    All textbook.
    IVP problem in (b)(ii) applied maths peeps were away with it.

All in all quite an easy paper. Seems they may be learning their lesson after last years.
    Personally, still not completely happy about it esp. parts 4(b)(iii) and Q6(ii)(iii) just ****ín didn't time it properly, and didn't have time to go over the entire thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

the induction was a sham. there was no need for any inductive step, it could be proven algebraically, but you have to do it by induction cos it says to...sham

[(n+1)/n](Un)
    = [(n+1)/n](n/5)
    = (n+1)/5
    = Un+1

some people seem to remember the paper phenomonally well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

mathew wrote:

You could have used the triangle thing where you make g(x)=y and thus it becomes tany=2/x which when diffed gives sec^2 which is then changed to the cos equivalent and you have cos from the triangle. and stuuf. its harder to explain than do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

______ wrote:

I think you mean 8c, and I got 18 too. Well -18 but the area was below the x axis so the minus was expected.

Nice paper I thought

6c 4biii 2cii were tough, as in I didn't get the answers.

3cii was very long and hard but I think I got it.

Done 7 questions, didn't go near Q5 because of 5c

Bring on paper two and French....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Q1

(ii) Used factor rule here, think I made a mistake though, since one root was a constant.

Nah, you didnt make a mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Thought OL was quite good, didn't get one or two little parts fully out but I attempted them as much as I could. Seriously though what did you guys write for 8 c iii) It wrecked my head, I waffled something about no real values.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

______ wrote:
    Or just have a copy of it?

I think you mean 8c, and I got 18 too. Well -18 but the area was below the x axis so the minus was expected.

Nice paper I thought

yeah i knew i made a balls of that, subtracted top from bottom or whtever it was, quite painful when you realise as time ends:(

i was so lazy in this course i dont really desereve anything higher than an E, should get higher though.

so... whats in paper two and whens it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

______ wrote:
    Theres nothing strange about it at all, you do spend 2 hours looking at it and in reality there isn't that much on the exam paper so its not hard to believe that peopel can remember most of it, plus as said above, they could have it in front of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

I done it in Just over an hour !!! anyone else?? 2and a half hours is way too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

For 6 c iii I think the answer was 90 degress, anyone else? I checked out a few different numbers on the calculator and got 90 each time. Was there a working required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

In 3c(ii) when you use a=1 b= something and c=something and use -B+-b2-4ac/2a...and get square root of 15+8i or something....I squared everything...but think this is wrong.....how is 3b done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Nice paper I thought

you got 18??!!! i got 20/3 and so did everyone else in my class!! damn i was sure I had got that right:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

HL. Was very pleased with it, I must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Please!!!!!!!!!! Can Someone Post The Marking Scheme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I calculated a nice 65%+ for me which Im quite pleased with :(

Advertisement