Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Email Change Problem

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

hi

is there anyone else having problems with the new email changes. I have changed the incoming and outgoing mail servers, and my email address in my outlook account settings. The letter from NTL states that my user name and password doesnt change.

Even still i am getting the poup to type in my user name and password. I have done this but it is still happening.

When I look at my outlook send/recieve process it seems that the nlt one is sending but it is not recieving.

Any one have any ideas? Is there something i missed out?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

From the letter sent out by NTL a couple of weeks back and from their website:
    1. From the 6 June 2007 your username@ntlworld.ie webmail address will change to username@upcmail.ie
    2. From the same day when you need to log on to your email or account management facility you will need to enter your complete email address e.g. username@upcmail.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

My wife was getting the same problem last night. She followed the instructions but it still didn't work. She is going to give NTL a call today about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I had this problem recently, I only use my NTL outgoing server, I use another ISP for incoming, it turned out I had never set an NTL password (or they only started authenticating recently) when I eventually found where to set this in Thunderbird it fix the problem instantly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tazzer wrote:
    hi

is there anyone else having problems with the new email changes. I have changed the incoming and outgoing mail servers, and my email address in my outlook account settings. The letter from NTL states that my user name and password doesnt change.

Even still i am getting the poup to type in my user name and password. I have done this but it is still happening.

When I look at my outlook send/recieve process it seems that the nlt one is sending but it is not recieving.

Any one have any ideas? Is there something i missed out?

thanks

I had exactly the same thing yesterday. Make sure you used pop3.upcmail.ie instead of just pop.upcmail.ie - there was no '3' when it was for NTL.

I still got the password prompt - I had never changed my password so I don't know why it prompted me, but I just stuck in the password again (when I eventually found it!!) and it worked.

Try re-entering the password. Also try using your full email address for the user name rather than just the name part i.e. use firstname.lastname@upcmail.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

PauloMN wrote:
    I had exactly the same thing yesterday. Make sure you used pop3.upcmail.ie instead of just pop.upcmail.ie - there was no '3' when it was for NTL.

Looks like both of those exist and point to the same IP address, so I don't think that makes any difference.
    $ host pop.upcmail.ie
    pop.upcmail.ie has address 213.46.255.2
    $ host pop3.upcmail.ie
    pop3.upcmail.ie has address 213.46.255.2
    PauloMN wrote:
    I still got the password prompt - I had never changed my password so I don't know why it prompted me, but I just stuck in the password again (when I eventually found it!!) and it worked.

Try re-entering the password. Also try using your full email address for the user name rather than just the name part i.e. use firstname.lastname@upcmail.ie.

Yes, your POP3 login is now your full email address, so if you don't change that you'll get the 'invalid password' prompt from most email clients. Keep your password as it was before and just add '@upcmail.ie' to the end of your login name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

thanks for all your help boarders....
    this is what seemed to be the problem.
    PauloMN wrote:

i was only using firstname.lastname instead of firstname.lastname@upcmail.ie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Tazzer wrote:
    thanks for all your help boarders....
    this is what seemed to be the problem.

i was only using firstname.lastname instead of firstname.lastname@upcmail.ie

Same here....
    So the people here can explain it better than NTL. What a surprise.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

inforfun wrote:
    Same here....
    So the people here can explain it better than NTL. What a surprise.....

I agree, they could have explained it better in the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

More comical ineptitute from the ****e that is UPC/NTL. I rang them yesterday about this for my uncle and was promised a call back within 48 hours...... wtf!?!?!

Anyway, it's the '@upcmail.ie' added to the username that was the problem, thanks PauloMN.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

An Irish team winning the champions league next year is a safer bet than betting on a call back from those NTL/UPC ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement