Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn D or Eagle Star

Options
  • 07-06-2007 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Which is better for Car Insurance.

Eagle Star Quote 610

Quinn Direct 586

Any Reason why I should not go for Quinn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Depends on the policy.Do they both include similar cover, or does one offer a better cover than the other.You really need to check what you are covered for?If both are the same go with the cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

They're probably quite similar - at a guess I'd say the only major difference might be the excess you'd have to pay in the event of an accident. QD's excess is €190, maybe Eagle Star is a little less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Quinn direct is always the cheapest one, but their service is not so great in the event of a claim and can be difficult dealing with them (so i've heard) .

I am with quinn but luckily I have not had to deal with them in that respect.
    *fingers crossed* !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was with QD for 3 years. Was always the cheapest. Now with Eagle Star cause they were €200 cheaper. Difference in my policies:

Higher excess on QD
    Windscreen Cover on ES
    Breakdown Assistance on ES
    Step back NCB on ES (Quinn never mentioned this, but they may have had it

Overall I was happy with QD, but at the end of the day, when 2 offers of 1050 or 840 come in, I know which one Ill choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Id go with Eagle Star, longer more established company, too many accusations flying around about Quinn from other board members, no smoke without fire.
    For the sake of €30 Id go with eagle star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I would go with Eagle Star. I have heard awful stories of people trying to settle claims with Quinn. E.S. comp cover has breakdown assist , windscreen
    driving other cars 3rd party. Are you sure quinn has all of the above at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm with QD and i have windscreen cover; also, i thought they added break down assisstance to their package towards teh end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

QD now have breakdown cover, you can also pay a bit extra for windscreen cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I have QD cover for 3 years now, they have no claims protection and glass cover for a bit extra. I can drive any other car 3rd party once it's insured by its owner, and have breakdown assist. They were also very helpful in the one accident I did have (which wasn't my fault), though stayed within their bounds and didn't get involved when it wasn't really to do with them. Can't fault them for that though and have no problem renewing with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Go with Eagle Star, i'm not in the humour to start on a rant (keeping it short) but i've had problems with them when it comes to claims. A mate of mine has had problems with their customer service (eg. loosing stuff like records etc..). They can be very ignorant as well.
    For the sake of €50 difference don't even consider quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

God help you if you have to claim off Eaglestar. I know that many people complain Direct - but believe me .. Eagle Star claims are incompetent. Have had to claim from them and Quinn and they are by far the most incompetent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have dealt with QD's claims dept on several occasions and have found them excellent to deal with tbh. Switched to them from Axa this year (because of price).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

My car was written off by a quinn driver and they paid up fast.
    According to a garage - quinn are amongst the most efficient at paying out.

Where do they get the bad name from?

Oh Im with FBD - the cheapest I tried – 1890617617

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Quinn direct is always the cheapest one, but their service is not so great in the event of a claim and can be difficult dealing with them (so i've heard) .

I am with quinn but luckily I have not had to deal with them in that respect.
    *fingers crossed* !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP - go with the guys that seem to offer you the best deal in terms of turnaround times and service. People complaining here about QDI and ES aren't telling you anything other than "I had trouble with them once". Fair enough, maybe they did but that doesn't tell you anything about the companys.

Worst case scenario you cancel your policy and switch mid way through, or a year down the road change to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

worded wrote: »
    My car was written off by a quinn driver and they paid up fast.
    According to a garage - quinn are amongst the most efficient at paying out.

Oh Im with FBD - the cheapest I tried – 1890617617

Quinn have an average claim payout of around 8 days, which is alot faster than most other companies. Im with them four years and never had a single prob. I quoted AXA, Eagle Star and FBD and was far more expensive than QD for the same package.

Your best of tryin to ring around a few places, even ring a few brokers, like FBD, Mike Murphy which run Insure.ie or Coyle Hamilton Willis. Thats a few i know off the top of my head. Big brokers like that get decent rates due to the amount of business they give QD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

worded wrote: »

Ok ill give you an example of my dealings with them. My car got stolen, they pay out, I loose my no claims (which is fair enough, you don't loose it with most companies but then they are cheap)
    What really annoyed me is that not only did I actually loose the no claims for something which didn't reflect my driving skills, they actually were asking for 2k per year more for renewal than they would have charged me if I had never driven before.
    So not only do you loose a no claims and get lumped with an extra premium because of it, they actually add a large additional charge onto that. F**kin ridiculous imo. Never went near them again

Another example is a lad I work with told me today that his renewal is coming in the next few days and they sent him out the figure for fully comp (as he was fully comp before). He rang them up and asked them how much was third party, was happy with what they said and said that's grand. He decided today that he was better off going with the fully comp and they now want more that their original quote, he asked why and they told him that it was because he was changing quote. His renewal isn't due yet so why cant he get his original quote which they gave him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Try Munster group 065 6841766,very competitive.

Advertisement