Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery charger ....

Options
  • 07-06-2007 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

I currently use a mains powered 350mA charger for a 1800 mAh NiCd battery ..... Can I use the same charger for a 3300 NiMH battery ? ......

Is the time required to charge calculation simply battery power devided by charging rate? .....

i.e. 1800 devided by 350 .... call it 5 hours ?

3300 devided by 350 .... call it 10 hours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yes. You are correct.

However, it's better to invest in a decent peak charger, for the following reasons:

1. You can charge packs faster.
    2. Discharge function
    3. Charge NiCd, NiMH, lead, LiPo/LiON
    4. Peak detection
    5. Cycle

And one of my personal favourites:

6. Charge cordless drill, camcorder, still camera, kids' toys, glowstart, Tx, Rx, uhmmmm, what else is there......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Many thanks for quick response ..... any particular type/model you would suggest? .....

This is the one that I have. Very pleased with it - does exactly what it's supposed to without all the bells-&-whistles. Take note that you need a power supply as well - I've rigged an old PC power supply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You will not need to buy a separate power supply if you choose the right charger.
    Some of the latest delta peak chargers have the power regulator circuit inside.

So one unit does all.

At the moment I am using both systems:
    a "new" charger with mains plug and its internal power supply.
    a" not so new" charger which needs either a 12V battery or a 12V power supply to "feed" it with DC current.

My Ultramat which has the internal 12V power supply regulator I got from www.greenhobbymodel.com the hobbyshop in Harolds Cross, Dublin.
    The Ultramat 10 and Ultramat 14 are the ones with the circuit you need inside.
    Being of European origin The Ultramats will take 240 volts like we have in our houses this side of the Atlantic.

6410.jpg
    Ultramat 10

6414.jpg
    Ultramat14

The chargers I use for my own models are designed for the European market. I settled on the Ultramat from Graupner for my own usage - although I have other make chargers that I bought earlier still working happily.
    (If you happen to be interested on a used model charger send me a PM because I'm constantly updating my gear.) "Euro chargers use 240 volts which is what the ESB supplies.

That is because the US is on a different (lower) mains voltage to us in Ireland. Only 110 volts. That is why a lot of "American" chargers would require a US-UK/Irish voltage adapter to be purchased in addition before they work from the ESB domestic power supply in Ireland.
    Many people rip a power supply box out of an old PC to do that, but you should not have to do that, since the right charger does it for you, no extra bits.
    So if you decide to get from the US be sure to check out carefully that it actually can do what you want. :)

You don't want to get too many charging units or you could end up like me !
    chargingstation.jpg
    Coolwings Charging Station

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I stick with my Trusty Novak Millennium Pro charger " It does exactly what it says on the box" And then some. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the info and the kind offer from coolwings .... I'll stay with the steam engine charger supplied with the boat (and use with a timer) for the time being, before deciding on a move into the 21st century .... ;)

A question re discharging batteries ....

For Chargers with this option built in, how long does it take ? :confused:

You can set the discharge rate. On mine the max discharge rate is 3A - not a lot but good enough to drain/cycle packs if I have to.

Is it ok to use a 7.0 volt charger on 7.2v battery packs (1800/3300 mAh) :confused:

no penalties to pay? ....

Advertisement