Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily gone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

quad_red wrote:
    ;) Indeed

thank you.

thank.

you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Once again Big Brother have made a mess of everything.
    Kicking Emily out was the wrong thing to do. The majority of BB viewers (boards.ie users excluded) are uneducated enough as it is, in regards to racism. Emily was not being racist. The 'N' word is one of those taboo words, but in that context it wasn't anywhere close to racist. She was just having a laugh with the girls. She probably shouldn't have said it, but that was an extreme overreaction, to say the least.
    Emily provided some good entertainment in the show, but since this has been handled the wrong way her name will be dragged through the mud, which isn't fair, as she seems like a nice enough girl and I think people are forgetting how old she is. She's only 19, something like this could completely f**k up her life.
    It was a genuine mistake IMO and I just hope that the whole thing will blow over in a day or two so that she can get on with her life.

see the problem is that because there is such heightened awareness, endemol's hands were tied. They had two choices: either they do nothing, or they take the nuclear option. If they did nothing (which is probably what they have done in previous years) they run the risk of of it leaking out, as it almost certainly would have done. If they pull her up on it, they have to kick her out as they have been very clear that NO such language would be tolerated, so there is nothing they can do. TBH, they are probably as peeved as anyone else, but they absolutely had to do kick her out.

I'm gutted really, she was totally chaotic, would have been great viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

Was she pretending to be ghetto and saying 'nigga' or was it more of a direct '******'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

quad_red wrote:
    ;) Indeed

where'd you get that pic????
    That Emily one is sooo sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I just hope that the whole thing will blow over in a day or two so that she can get on with her life.
    Do you think it would've blown over if they kept her in the house?

Was she pretending to be ghetto and saying 'nigga' or was it more of a direct '******'?

the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wonder if they'd kick someone out for saying a Paddy-Irishman joke???
    It's bound to happen. And they won't do anything, because they still think they control us. Everyone listen out for any reference to the Irish. You hear anything negative (or what could be perceived as negative) post it here and then we can all wreck their heads with complaints. It would be brilliant if someone was kicked out for slaggin us Paddy's!!!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Do you think it would've blown over if they kept her in the house?

Yeah probably! Charley and Nicky knew she was joking and I'm sure something else would've come up to make the audience forget. They wouldn't even have to show that clip in the highlights show anyway. Not necessarily keep it hush hush, but not make a big deal out of it.

I wonder if they'd kick someone out for saying a Paddy-Irishman joke???

probably
    It's bound to happen.

I'll give you good odds that it won't. :)
    And they won't do anything, because they still think they control us.

ah wha? Do you seriously think that?!?
    Everyone listen out for any reference to the Irish. You hear anything negative (or what could be perceived as negative) post it here and then we can all wreck their heads with complaints. It would be brilliant if someone was kicked out for slaggin us Paddy's!!!

you do the first couple of months, let us know how it goes ;)

• Advertisement

Thats a bit ridiculous then. What if you offended somebody in the house. Called them some other sort of non racist name like a c*nt. Are they going to kick them out. What she said was a bit clumsy and naive but if it wasn't said with malice then she should have been left.

Yeah probably! Charley and Nicky knew she was joking and I'm sure something else would've come up to make the audience forget.

you're kidding right? The whole Shilpa thing was six months ago and people are still talking about it.
    They wouldn't even have to show that clip in the highlights show anyway. Not necessarily keep it hush hush, but not make a big deal out of it.

I think that would be the one reason for keeping her in the house, but C4 run the risk of "normalising" that word.

tbh wrote:
    ah wha? Do you seriously think that?!?

Eh, no there Ted!!! I really don't, I wouldn't be that narrow minded. Just keeping the conversation going and in the jokey context in which I said it, it was obviously not to be taken seriously. Now I know how Emily feels :D ! Hope I don't get removed from the Big Brother house!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Thats a bit ridiculous then. What if you offended somebody in the house. Called them some other sort of non racist name like a c*nt. Are they going to kick them out. What she said was a bit clumsy and naive but if it wasn't said with malice then she should have been left.

A very stern warning would've made more sense - maybe they knew it would generate some hype in the show. One word said (however stupidly) in jest/to look trendy, wasn't a patch on the bullying and b1tchiness in Celeb BB.

There was a documentary on about Roy Chubby Brown a couple of weeks ago on one of the c4 satellite stations and that was airing some of his racist jokes, how come that's allowed on? Cos the narrator/interviewer said in a serious voice how shocked he was?

tbh wrote:
    you're kidding right? The whole Shilpa thing was six months ago and people are still talking about it.

That was a completely different situation. I didn't actually watch Celeb Big Brother, but weren't they actually racially abusing her, continuously? Emily said one word and didn't mean it maliciously. You can't really compare the two scenarios.

That was a completely different situation. I didn't actually watch Celeb Big Brother, but weren't they actually racially abusing her, continuously? Emily said one word and didn't mean it maliciously. You can't really compare the two scenarios.

I personally agree that they were two completely different situations, and I no more think Emily is racist than I think I am. And I'm not ;) When I said "people" I should have said "the media" and that's exactly why Endemol had no choice but to give her the elbow. It's actually a pity, because I think it's a good example of how someone can be a bit dumb, but not have any malicious intent, whereas CBB was an example of nasty characters knowing what not to say. It'd be nice if Emily had a chance to apologise and carry on, but in the real world, it's not going to happen. Sorry for my sense of humour by-pass on your irish comments btw, but you'd be surprised how many people on boards would mean that seriously ;)

tbh wrote:
    I personally agree that they were two completely different situations, and I no more think Emily is racist than I think I am. And I'm not ;) When I said "people" I should have said "the media" and that's exactly why Endemol had no choice but to give her the elbow. It's actually a pity, because I think it's a good example of how someone can be a bit dumb, but not have any malicious intent, whereas CBB was an example of nasty characters knowing what not to say. It'd be nice if Emily had a chance to apologise and carry on, but in the real world, it's not going to happen. Sorry for my sense of humour by-pass on your irish comments btw, but you'd be surprised how many people on boards would mean that seriously ;)

I see where you are coming from with the media not letting it slide, but if we forget about Emily for a moment, since that damage has been done, what about Charley?
    According to Emily, Charley has been throwing that 'N' word around since day 1 and she is still in there. I understand how it's different if Charley says it, but surely Big Brother should prevent anyone from using racial slurs, as there are young, infuencial viewers watching the show and seeing that it's acceptable to us that word if you're black, when it actually isn't always acceptable. Many black people are against that word altogether and it still offensive to hear Charley say it. Should Charley then, by that logic, not also be removed???
    I personally take offense to Emily being removed and still having Charley there as both of them used the same word. Big Brother is trying to compensate for the Shilpa incident, but are going the wrong way about it as they seem to be only catering for the rights of the minorities. The fact that Emily has been removed and not Charley, IMO, is a racist act in itself by Big Brother. It means that Charley is getting preferencial treatment because she is Black and Emily is being punished because she is White. Either both should have been punished or neither.
    I am 100% against racism, prejudim and bullying, it doesn't matter whether it's a minority group or a majority group that is being victimised.
    Does anyone else agree (perhaps not completely, but to some extent) with what I'm saying?

I understand how it's different if Charley
    I don't buy that sort of logic. Is it not racist for one race to be allowed say a word and another not to.

you can slag your own family all you want, but if someone else agrees with you, you don't like it. It's human nature. It's it wrong? Probably. But that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Many black people are against that word altogether and it still offensive to hear Charley say it. Should Charley then, by that logic, not also be removed???

Absolutely not, that argument is overdone. if you remember White people in America a long time ago enslaved black people and called them n*****s. For the word to be uttered by a white individual is far more offensive than from a black person, which is also offensive I agree but on a different level.

Bottom line , Emily was on live television and should have had more sense than to use the word regardless of it's non-offensive context. Her absolute stupidity alone warrants a dismissal.

Having said that the house will miss her arguments but I'm sure big brother will have some entertaining twist for us soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

tbh wrote:
    you can slag your own family all you want, but if someone else agrees with you, you don't like it. It's human nature. It's it wrong? Probably. But that's just the way it is.

so, the logical extension of this then, is that if Big Brother set, say, a Karaoke challenge in the House, only Charley can do Gold Digger by Kanye West, is that it?

I'm not having a pop at any arguments being posited here...but isn't there *something* a bit screwy about the whole thing...Personally i'd have said either anybody could sing it, or nobody could. A word is offensive in the stereotypical image it perpetuates irrespective of the skin colour/nationality of whomever says it...

(i realise that i made the point earlier about my english mates calling me a 'mick' but in all honesty if they did, it would be ignored by me; in the same way that Jeff from Huddersfield would ignore the comments about being a tight northerner, or Marc, yup with a C, got dogs abuse for being from Brighton and supporting Manchester United)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Damn it.
    She was always playing with her titties too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Big Brother is no longer reality TV if they start controling the conduct like this.

Ofcom only repromanded BB before because they did'nt warn viewers of offensive content, once they warn viewers they can show what they like pretty much.

This is PC bulls**t to the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have to agree. In relation to the context it wasn't trying to be offensive.

TBH it looks like Charley played it up knowing it would help her. I don't like her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I...I...I cant get over it. She was gorgeous!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

The whole Emily situation brings to mind this clip from the movie "White Chicks".
    Link
    Its at the end of the clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Farewell sweet Emily. It was nice knowing your bum. And don't forget, if you ever need a place to hide from scary liberals my pants are always open to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

O.P.H wrote:
    Big Brother is no longer reality TV if they start controling the conduct like this.

Ofcom only repromanded BB before because they did'nt warn viewers of offensive content, once they warn viewers they can show what they like pretty much.

This is PC bulls**t to the extreme.

Not correct. You should read the OFCOM report more carefully I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got a clip of her saying this?

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Anyone got a clip of her saying this?

If we're lucky it'll be on tonight's show. If we're not, I guess it won't ever be shown.

Advertisement