Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Thrown out for that....what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

zuutroy wrote:
    Thrown out for that....what a joke

A combination of the goings on in last years Celeb BB and Charleys carry on is what got her the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What a joke, she got throwing out that comment. The last big BB with Jade etc was personal abuse towards and directed at one person.

Charley made a BIGGER deal out of it, she wouldnt shut up, im sure she hears that phrase all the time. She tells some else and then out in the garden she's like forget it stop making a big deal out of it. SHE BROUGHT IT UP AGAIN.

Emily was stupid for the comment, but to say it was a racist comment towards charley, i don think so. BB have to being seeing making a stand and thats exactly what they have done.

Charley out, she's so fake, to faced and is a nasty piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That Black one is making a big thing of it on purpose, to highlight it. She's playing the game. A load of bollox really.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

watchin it at the moment and tbh that Charley is an absolute wagon; I dunno, this really is an example of PC gone haywire.. there was no racism whatsoever involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Emily is Bit*h i liked her at first but she is sickening !!! ''Im a nice girl '' ''Thats not fair'' '' I wouldnt do that'' she is a knob !!! trying to make herself look like an angel !! God this has made me so angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Haha, she's SO acting in that diary room now. Don't give up the dayjob missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What a load of horse****.....PC gone mad....Crazy world

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pigman II wrote:

Shes not acting at all. Shes in shock as well as just being woken up.

Charley is a nasty piece of work. Clearly playing the racist card to win votes. I think she has guaranteed her removal at the first nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Pigman II wrote:

Yeah, it looked like it. A staged diary room exit? ie. they brief her on what the hell she needs to say then she looks shocked and contrite etc.

Although I wouldn't expected waterworks if it was staged. Tug the heart strings and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The thing about this is that it's only a word and it's PC gone mad but seriously, how stupid is that girl?

They were all obviously specifically told not to use racist words and surely it didn't need to spelled out to any of them as to why.

If anything she should've been booted out, not for a racist remark but for sheer stupidity.

Ironically, wasn't she the one that gave herself 10 out of 10 for intelligence in her opening VT?
    Oh how those VTs always seem to bite them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

She's certainly been scapegoated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Channel 4's sacrificial lamb if there ever was one, total overcompensation
    for the Shilpa fiasco. Plus Shabnam stitched her up knowing Emily had a
    better chance of surviving this weeks eviction. I sure will miss Emily's cute
    ass around the house ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Charley is the real actress and not a great one. I think this is a total overreaction, especially compared to how they tried to salvage Jade Goody's career, when Goody's remarks were far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think you have to give her a break.

The irony of the whole thing is I think Emily only said the word to GaryWilmot because she was starting to like her and felt comfortable enough around her. Stupid thing to say but certainly no malice intended.

I think Wilmot played her and made the most of the situation whilst trying to act all indifferent to it. Even Bride of Frankenstein was trying to get a piece of the action too but was having none of it and took all the points for herself.

I'm just annoyed now that deadly-burd is gone and all that's left is a couple of prize pigs and a dog-faced girl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I thought the funniest was Emily saying that she 'hears that word around her all the time' i seriously do not believe this is true.

She tried to play it down by making excuses and just about apologised at the end and even them bb had to drag that out of her!!
    it may be "highly PC" ( icannot see how it was overly PC to throw her out) but nobody uses that word full stop.

Also see how pissed off Charley got at Chanelle earlier for a tiny thing and then over this was willing to forgive Emily just shows what a yoke she really is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Charley is an absolute wagon, a manipulative bad person.

She thinks she is playing the pity card when infact she is the most hated member in there.

She told Emily to forget about it then suddenly realising what happened Shilpa she seemed to think from that an off the cuff remark could land her huge success and slyly played with the other housemates.

A bad comment to make by Emily but it most certainly didnt deserve a throwing out of the house.

Get Charley OUT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

What a joke! Two others used the word and weren't evicted, isn't that implicit racism saying that only one race isn't allowed to use the word

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

could have been C4's plan, to throw out someone for something as slight as that. public opinion seems to be in favor of emily, C4 could have used this instance as an excuse to highlight the futility of nannyism, incase this ever happens again.

ruck-it wrote:
    What a joke! Two others used the word and weren't evicted, isn't that implicit racism saying that only one race isn't allowed to use the word
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your outlook) this media soaked society in which we live is full of double standards. Didn't the new guy get chased around the house by all the women trying to strip him? Imagine if that was all guys chasing a girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah you could see the Lightbulb go on after a few minutes after Emily made the comment, she then went on and on about it and then she told Shabs and Shabs went to talk to Emily about it on her own and that Wagon followed her out. Ok it was a silly word to use but Emily is being made a scape goat for that pig Jade and Danille and O'Meara. As one of the guests has just said on Big Mouth, Danielle is still in the lime light and no backlash to her.
    In saying that if I was Irish and someone English had called me Paddy they should be pulled up on it given a warning and that would be fine.
    This could backfire from the housemates point of view, they might not nominate that dog Charly in fear that the public might see them as racist if they do.
    Anyway 2 men going in tomorrow nite.

Snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I wonder if a black member of the house said that in the exact same context would we be having this conversation?

Emily was wrong to say what she did but it has been blown totally out of proportion and cannot be compared to the goings on a few months back. When was the last time anyone listened to a 50 Cent song or even whiter than white Eminem lyrics. That's what kids are listening to and its most definitley having an affect on the language that is used as "slang" these days.

Roll on tomorrow... 2 more lads to enter the house... Ziggy's reign is over!!!

bbability wrote:
    When was the last time anyone listened to a 50 Cent song or even whiter than white Eminem lyrics.
    Eminem nevers uses the "N" word in any of his songs.

AFAIK he has only ever recorded one song with the word in it and that was a very very long time ago. I'm open to corrections of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its laughable that Emily is thrown out for that and Jade Goody wasnt during celeb BB, instead she was left to a public vote, which was ironically her vs shilpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

BaZmO* wrote:
    Eminem nevers uses the "N" word in any of his songs.

AFAIK he has only ever recorded one song with the word in it and that was a very very long time ago. I'm open to corrections of course.

sure m'n'm isnt black,.... he border being totally discredited for his music because he is white,...... they(black people) call them "Whiggers",
    a white man trying to be black !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think that throwing her out was the absolute correct decision. I can't believe more of you don't agree. I agree that she's probably not racist (can't really say definitely since we've only seen her on tv for a few days and she did show herself to be a liar and a snob and the fact that she clearly uses the term regularly is plain weird) and the term wasn't used in a derogatory bullying way. I think she was very naive and extremely stupid after celebrity big brother. Maybe she was just trying to be 'street' like was suggested in BBBM. However, the term is just unacceptable. It's a racist term and the context is irrelevant in my opinion because it is so offensive.
    I think comparing it to the term 'paddy' is a bit narrow-minded and ignorant. Yes, people can use 'paddy' in a derogatory sense but it absolutely does not have anywhere near the same connotations as the 'n word'. It refers to slavery, humans treated as animals, superiority in every sense etc.
    The excuse that rappers use the word and Charley said she could use the word is also irrelevant because first of all I would like to point out that Charley was probably saying that just to make Emily feel better and also I think that most people think that rappers using that word is unacceptable. Any of the black people I know certainly don't like it.
    I do think that this should be the end of Emily's punishment. I don't think she deserves to be labelled a racist or suffer the consequences that Jade Goody went through because she didn't act in a racist way - it was just the actual term that was racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

After watching the episode, watching BBBM, heading over to the BB forums on Channel 4 website and mulling the situation over, I still can not accept that it was fair to remove Emily from the house and leave Charley and Nicky in there. Either all 3 should have been taken out or all 3 should have stayed in. The term is completely unacceptable as ar as I'm concerned, so I think the 3 of them should have gotten the boot and that is what seems to be the general concensus on the Channel 4 forums.
    BB and C4 are hypocitical, have double standards and are acting racistly themselves by booting out only Emily. In doing that they are saying it is acceptable for non-whites to say the 'n' word, but not whites. Nicky said it and she isn't black. Charley is black, but that still does not give her the right to say it. Both said the word repeatedly. Both should also go.
    Equal rights my arse!!! As long as you're not white.
    Faerie wrote:
    I think comparing it to the term 'paddy' is a bit narrow-minded and ignorant. Yes, people can use 'paddy' in a derogatory sense but it absolutely does not have anywhere near the same connotations as the 'n word'. It refers to slavery, humans treated as animals, superiority in every sense etc.

'Paddy' or 'Mick' may not have as cruel a history as the 'n' word in your opinion, but there are many of us who find it just as offensive. They are the terms the English gave to our people when they were invading our country and killing people for using our own language or standing up against them. How is that not offensive? We were opressed for hundreds of years and they were the terms used for us.
    Please don't call me or anybody else narrow-minded and ignorant for not forgetting that our ancestors suffered racial abuse also, it is incredibly insulting. It would be great if everyone in the world could live in perfect harmony, but with racist slurs flying around no one will. I take great offense to people calling me a 'Paddy' and I have reasons for taking offense to it (even when meant as a joke) just as Charley had reason for taking offense to the term Emily used, but how it was handled was wrong. I don't go around calling myself a 'Paddy' and I don't like when any Irish person uses it, so I can't condone Charley's use of the word and that is why all 3 should have been kicked out or all 3 given a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Faerie there was a time when refering to somebody as a Paddy meant eactly humans treated as animals, superiority in every sense. I would say the vast majority of white people in the world today are not racist, however the n word continues to be prevelant why? because some black people use it as a term only they can call each other, others as you point out find it completely offensive. Its either offensive or its not. If all black people found the word completely offensive you wouldn't find a 19 year old girl on Big Brother saying it to try and be cool, you may know the complete character of her after seeing her on a television a few times but she may have been trying to fit in and bond with the girls at the time and messed up. Channel 4 and Endamol should have been specific regarding words and phrases relating to racism and banned the use of the n word by all house mates if they were going to react in this way. The truth of the matter is that Charley initially didnt react to the comment and then decided that making an issue of it would bring paydirt in puting the spotlight on her, garnering the support of her race in the uk and geting her mate off the hook eviction wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jackz wrote:
    Faerie there was a time when refering to somebody as a Paddy meant eactly humans treated as animals, superiority in every sense. I would say the vast majority of white people in the world today are not racist, however the n word continues to be prevelant why? because some black people use it as a term only they can call each other others as you point out some find completely offensive. It either offensive or its not. If all black people found the word completely offensive you wouldn't find a 19 year old girl on Big Brother saying it to try and be cool, you may know the complete character of her after seeing her on a telivision a few times but she may have been trying to fit bond with the girls at the time and messed up. Channel 4 and Endamol should have been specifis regarding words and phrases relating to racism and banned the n words use by all house mates if they were going to react in this way. The truth of the matter is that Charley initially didnt react to the comment and then decided that making an issue of it would bring paydirt in puting the spotlight on her, garnering the support of her race in the uk and geting her mate off the hook eviction wise.

Here here! Well said, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I agree with you also Captain allow people to say what they like within reason and if your going to be PC on tv it applies to everybody.

Advertisement