Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's at times like these I wish I was a Mod!
    Very mature Lorax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hobbes wrote:
    Shes not acting at all. Shes in shock as well as just being woken up.

Disagree ,she was completley acting and sh1te at it too.If she was SO shocked she would have certainly woken up quicker......it was either staged or she didnt really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

bbability wrote:
    I wonder if a black member of the house said that in the exact same context would we be having this conversation?

Actually Charley says it right after Emiliy that she is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's at times like these I wish I was a Mod!
    Very mature Lorax...

He is referring to a South Park Episode which addresses this issue.

Randy Marsh is on a game show where he has to guess a word "N_GGERS" where the question is "People who annoy you". Of course he is supposed to say Naggers but doesn't.

But it makes the point that people can't pick and choose what is an offensive word when they feel like it. Which is what Charley was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Emily said "Push it out you n*****"

The tone and circumstances for her trying to fit in would have brought about (IMHO) a different sentence such that she would'nt have put in the word 'you';by using the word 'you' it put a distance between them which is racial and cannot be blamed on her and her pals using this word 'all the time' etc which i dont believe, and does not lend to the argument she was trying to 'fit in' with the homies...

(The fact Emily said -in reference to her friends- "they call me n*****s" showed how much BS she was making up as she went along as that sentence doe'nt make sense!)

She actually said "You're pushing it out you ni**er" which could in a very open minded way be seen as endearing but i think not tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I don't think any of us know what it feels like to be called a n****r unless we are black. I worked in London and was called a Paddy once or twice. Sometimes people referred to Paddington Station which was non too subtle. However apart from mild annoyance it never upset me too much.

The word has too many bad connotations for any person to be using it black or white. Black people who use the word are idiots in my opinion - it supercharges the word and makes it taboo.

They were right to boot her - they told them all at the start not to **** up and she did. The fact that she is well below the low bar intelligence wise just reflects on the kind of pig ignorant youth they seem to be producing in the UK and its starting to creep in here as well.

Hopefully she sinks into obscurity forever. Did you see her fixing her hair and mentioning she was wearing no Knickers when they told her to go. Shamless

daveirl wrote:

There are different levels to it; slagging off someones accent and using the N word are two very different things they do not allow for a tasnsparent comparison nor should they - it would be silly as one is about slavery and the other is just silly. Also a black person gets away with it an Indian person gets away with it why? - beacuse they are the 'targets' for these kinds racist words so get over it. A white person may be offended by it but nobody will get excited by it until a black person does thats life at this point in time.

It is nt PC gone mad at all FFS a girl 18/19 using that kind of language on TV its just wrong she had a big gob from what ive seen of her anyway??

its correct she should nt have said its against the rules of the show if found offensive language = a ban; and a specific warning was laid down pre-show about racism (not accents which would be just daft and childish and the major PC of im white and offended get over that one as it cuts no ice)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jackz wrote:
    Faerie there was a time when refering to somebody as a Paddy meant eactly humans treated as animals, superiority in every sense. I would say the vast majority of white people in the world today are not racist, however the n word continues to be prevelant why? because some black people use it as a term only they can call each other, others as you point out find it completely offensive. Its either offensive or its not. If all black people found the word completely offensive you wouldn't find a 19 year old girl on Big Brother saying it to try and be cool, you may know the complete character of her after seeing her on a television a few times but she may have been trying to fit in and bond with the girls at the time and messed up. Channel 4 and Endamol should have been specific regarding words and phrases relating to racism and banned the use of the n word by all house mates if they were going to react in this way. The truth of the matter is that Charley initially didnt react to the comment and then decided that making an issue of it would bring paydirt in puting the spotlight on her, garnering the support of her race in the uk and geting her mate off the hook eviction wise.

Quoted for truth!

I live in England and have only once been subjected to racial abuse and what term do you think was used? "Paddy! Oi Paddy, any electricity where you live? Do ya know what this is thick Mick? (holding a mobile phone to my face)" :rolleyes:

At one time in England Irish people and black people were refused service in shops. Did you know that Irish people were also bought and sold as slaves and shipped to the Carribean to be bred with "n***ers" to make them a bit more white-looking as whiter "n***ers" were at one time fashionable and more acceptable as slaves? :rolleyes:

The words "Paddy" and "******" are completely unacceptable for use by anybody regardless of ethnic background. I don't accept Irish people using the word Paddy and since I've moved to England I've only had that one instance of abuse and it was enough to confirm my stance! The fact that black people use the word so freely amongst themselves is no excuse if they then turn around and act offended when white people use it.

I agree with the decision to remove Emily but feel that everyone else who used the word should be removed too.

Interestingly on BBC radio 4 this morning someone mentioned that one of the housemates had referred to someone as a "white bint" a few days ago. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case then that person should have been removed immediately too imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

padi89 wrote:
    Disagree ,she was completley acting and sh1te at it too.If she was SO shocked she would have certainly woken up quicker......it was either staged or she didnt really care.

Totally acting!

Just look at the way she let her hair down and fluffed it out as soon as she realised that she was in gik and that clip of her being kicked out would be played over and over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

r3nu4l wrote:
    Quoted for truth!

I live in England and have only once been subjected to racial abuse and what term do you think was used? "Paddy! Oi Paddy, any electricity where you live? Do ya know what this is thick Mick? (holding a mobile phone to my face)" :rolleyes:

At one time in England Irish people and black people were refused service in shops. Did you know that Irish people were also bought and sold as slaves and shipped to the Carribean to be bred with "n***ers" to make them a bit more white-looking as whiter "n***ers" were at one time fashionable and more acceptable as slaves? :rolleyes:

The words "Paddy" and "******" are completely unacceptable for use by anybody regardless of ethnic background. I don't accept Irish people using the word Paddy and since I've moved to England I've only had that one instance of abuse and it was enough to confirm my stance! The fact that black people use the word so freely amongst themselves is no excuse if they then turn around and act offended when white people use it.

I agree with the decision to remove Emily but feel that everyone else who used the word should be removed too.

Interestingly on BBC radio 4 this morning someone mentioned that one of the housemates had referred to someone as a "white bint" a few days ago. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case then that person should have been removed immediately too imo.
    I find it strange that you find both "Paddy" and "n***ers" unacceptable but for some reason you censor the word **** and don't censor Paddy. You're obviouslly not trying to be racist so why would you censor one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

BaZmO* wrote:
    Eminem nevers uses the "N" word in any of his songs.

AFAIK he has only ever recorded one song with the word in it and that was a very very long time ago. I'm open to corrections of course.

You are probably right that he has only said it on one underground song, and any other times you think he has said it, it's probably "wigga" which he sometimes refers to himself as.

However!! Bbality said "Eminem's LYRICS" which is completely different to him saying it. And a quick search on Google will show you plenty of songs credited to him for writing that use the n word.

On the point of big brother.... well yeah they've just made a point of this silly girl. But it's double standards and it always will be. Big Brother are playing to the masses and want to make themselves look like they care!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Emily used a racist term carelessly, not maliciously (Channel4's representative said that, so thats official too), and she was thrown out for it. Others said the same racist term, not maliciously but said it all the same, and they were not thrown out.

By singling out Emily for saying that, and accusing her of being racist, I think Channel4/Endemol are overreacting, and from Emily's point of view, Channel4/Emdemol are being racist and irresponsible. I think Emily should sue Channel4/Endemol.

I would if I were her, but I am not white, so I guess it would never happen to me?!

My €0.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

positron wrote:
    Emily used a racist term carelessly, not maliciously (Channel4's representative said that, so thats official too), and she was thrown out for it. Others said the same racist term, not maliciously but said it all the same, and they were not thrown out.

By singling out Emily for saying that, and accusing her of being racist, I think Channel4/Endemol are overreacting, and from Emily's point of view, Channel4/Emdemol are being racist and irresponsible. I think Emily should sue Channel4/Endemol.

I would if I were her, but I am not white, so I guess it would never happen to me?!

My €0.02.

Excellent post.

I find this whole issue to be a very complex one and it really holds up to light not only the problem of racism in society but also the double standards there in which in turn lead to more racism.

Im not an intelligent enough man to get this point accross but im gonna give it a shot. Black people have taken on this word in an effort to claim it and take the sting out of it. If they use this word they feel then it cant have the same derogatory meaning for white people to use against them. Fair enough. But what has happened is because black culture has become so prevelant middle class white people in there eternal quest for rebellion have latched on to the so called "urban scene". This effects the clothes they wear, the music they hear and most importantly the way they speak and language they use. Emily was born in 1988 the same year the NWA released there second album. So all her life she has been exposed to "the N word" in its new form. Its reclaimed form.

The association to her is not there. She probably knows it is offensive but does not understand the reasons why. The people who are to blame for this are the people in black society who perpetuate the use of this word. When was the last time you heard someone called a "sambo" or a "gollywog" also racist terms used against black people in the time of slaves. These terms have died out because we as a society are no longer exposed to them. I really think that it is unacceptable for this or any word to have a double standard attached to it. I was really pissed off that no one challenged that "comedian" on BBBM last night when he said Galloway had to say "the n word" but he could say n***ger. That in itself is racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Apparently not, if you look in your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

daveirl wrote:
    Well actually I did a bit but only because as you mention, if I didn't partially censor the word then the software would wholly censor it as seen here --> ******, although it is possible to bypass the censor and write it as such --> nigger

In a discussion like this it makes no sense to censor either word seeing as how this discussion is centred on those words. For example BBC5 Live this morning kept talking about the "N" word and censored themselves as much as possible while discussing it, much like Channel 4 did lsat night. BBCradio 4 however had a much more pragmatic view this morning and used he word n***er openly without censoring it at any stage. The only time it is acceptable to use these words is when discussing them sickboy, hope you don't find that too "strange" to comprehend :)

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Excellent post.

I find this whole issue to be a very complex one and it really holds up to light not only the problem of racism in society but also the double standards there in which in turn lead to more racism.

Im not an intelligent enough man to get this point accross but im gonna give it a shot. Black people have taken on this word in an effort to claim it and take the sting out of it. If they use this word they feel then it cant have the same derogatory meaning for white people to use against them. Fair enough. But what has happened is because black culture has become so prevelant middle class white people in there eternal quest for rebellion have latched on to the so called "urban scene". This effects the clothes they wear, the music they hear and most importantly the way they speak and language they use. Emily was born in 1988 the same year the NWA released there second album. So all her life she has been exposed to "the N word" in its new form. Its reclaimed form.

The association to her is not there. She probably knows it is offensive but does not understand the reasons why. The people who are to blame for this are the people in black society who perpetuate the use of this word. When was the last time you heard someone called a "sambo" or a "gollywog" also racist terms used against black people in the time of slaves. These terms have died out because we as a society are no longer exposed to them. I really think that it is unacceptable for this or any word to have a double standard attached to it. I was really pissed off that no one challenged that "comedian" on BBBM last night when he said Galloway had to say "the n word" but he could say n***ger. That in itself is racism.

Very good post. I 100% agree with what you were saying. I think Galloway did seem slightly offended throughout the show, maybe not because of what people had been saying, but he didn't seem happy with the situation as a whole. I reckon if he were on these boards, he'd share the same views as most of us.
    The horrible treatment of Emily is disgusting and I hope BB and C4 get what's coming to them. I for one, will not let this rest until Emily is happy (I've been in contact with her and until I hear it from her personally that she is happy again) I will continue to fight this discrimination and I urge you all to do the same.
    There are plenty of places on the BB website on Channel 4 in which you can express your views about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I for one, will not let this rest until Emily is happy (I've been in contact with her and until I hear it from her personally that she is happy again) I will continue to fight this discrimination and I urge you all to do the same.
    There are plenty of places on the BB website on Channel 4 in which you can express your views about this.
    :eek: Step away from the restraining order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

When Gerry Ryan was discussing it this morning he openly used the word aswell.

I think the girl made a mistake and was punished serverly for it.
    She will have it tough when she comes out though!

It would be interesting to see if an Irish person was in the house this year and he/she was called either a Paddy or a Mick would the offender be thrown out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can't believe anyone just can't see that for a white person to say n****r, it carries more weight as an offensive term to black people than for a black person to say it. Emily carelessly threw around the one word that shouldn't be thrown around live on television and to blame the black 'urban scene' and NWA is frightfully ignorant. I agree that Emily herself probably doesn't have a racist bone in her body but that word in itself is racist!

Just don't say the word! esp if you're white and to a black individual you've only known a week!

BaZmO* wrote:
    :eek: Step away from the restraining order!

:D Haha. Very funny. She's a friend of a friend apparently, that's how I got talking to her.

daveirl wrote:

I did'nt watch CBB i thought they said something about curry to Shetty?

anyway when i say slagging an acccent obviously again there are circumstancdes to be considered you cannot just use a hyperbolic statement saying "all references to accents are wrong" or similar- if i being white/irish were to slag off a say Nigerian person by copying his accent it would be wrong unless maybe we were friends, they same might be said for me to copy say a Donegal accent or a Cork accent it can be acceptable in other circumstances not.

Point being in any circumstance an accent you could/may allow however using the word N***** in a sentence such as what Emily came out with is not on, maybe it was harsh to throw her out but thats the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Valmont wrote:
    but that word in itself is racist!

It's true...I saw that same word shouting abuse at some Polish guys and it has Nazi souvenirs in its gaf.....

A word is just a word....People who get offended by a word are silly. Its context and intent thats important....a word is just a collection of ****ing letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Whats about Nigra's?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

r3nu4l wrote:
    The words "Paddy" and "******" are completely unacceptable for use by anybody regardless of ethnic background. I don't accept Irish people using the word Paddy and since I've moved to England I've only had that one instance of abuse and it was enough to confirm my stance!
    So do you know anybody called n****r?

You can't compare the 2 terms as they are worlds apart.

I don't see anything wrong with the word Paddy, some of my best friends are called Paddy. And sure if the word was that bad do you think that this would be allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

if only black people and not white people can say the N word, then that is discrimination, and I won't stand for it. :)

The word has evolved, it is no longer used in a derogatory manner if done so without intent behind it.

I was too pained to watch the whole of the big mouth last night. That 'comedian' (as someone before rightly put it) Just kicked off the show with his waffle, and the rest followed. Only 1 person had a decent opinion and that was the man talking about the 'street' use. I was most annoyed with all the white people in the audience. All too bloody scared to say what they really thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

'Paddy' will never be as offensive as the N word because it refers to us specificall, the Irish. It generalises us Irish. But at least we are all generically similar and one is able to categorise us.
    The 'N' word generalises all Black people, from hundreds of different countries like they were all the same. Is a black person in Ireland the same as a Black person in a village in Ethipia? I doubt it. But it's like throwing 'them' all in the same boat. Coming from a white person it is ridiculously offensive.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Advertisement