Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

You're swaying now with this comment- Yes the situation in question is important to decide whether something is right or wrong. ie who, what, where, and why

Consider....other issues like age

A child pulls a trigger and shoots someone they die
    An adult pulls a trigger and shoots someone they die

should we not judge based on age then? You cannot judge everyone the same way there are issues to address

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You're swaying now with this comment- Yes the situation in question is important to decide whether something is right or wrong. ie who, what, where, and why

Consider....other issues like age

A child pulls a trigger and shoots someone they die
    An adult pulls a trigger and shoots someone they die

should we not judge based on age then? You cannot judge everyone the same way there are issues to address

That is completely irrelevant. Age and Race can't be compared as the same thing.
    The fact is that we should not have one rule for Black people and one rule for White people. The rules should be the same. Age is a different matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Valmont wrote:
    I can't believe anyone just can't see that for a white person to say n****r, it carries more weight as an offensive term to black people than for a black person to say it. Emily carelessly threw around the one word that shouldn't be thrown around live on television and to blame the black 'urban scene' and NWA is frightfully ignorant. I agree that Emily herself probably doesn't have a racist bone in her body but that word in itself is racist!

Just don't say the word! esp if you're white and to a black individual you've only known a week!

Why is it ignorant? I have pointed out that this particular phrase (which I find horrible by the way) is only still around and as prevalent because of its use in black popular culture were as other words with similar meaning have died out. Can you prove me wrong on this point. No. Most of the time you will hear this word it is spoken by a black person as a term of endearment. How can this not be confusing to a 19 year old who has already proven herself not to be the sharpest tool in the box. Can you give me any other reason why in the context that she used the word that she used it. Its not as if she had a pitchfork in hand and pillow case on her head is it? If she had turned around and called Charlie a stupid fing n**er then that is wrong because she has used the term as it would have been used when black people were treated like animals. The fact is that the roots of where she used the word in the context that she did are not rooted in racism but in balck popular culture and I do not think you can deny this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

^^^ and that should be the last word..Spot on

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Call me conspiracy theorist or what ever you may, but whats the odds of a pretty girl coming into the house, and the bookies immediately putting down her as the least fav? Or

This news item is from May 30th!

http://www.metro.co.uk/bigbrother/article.html?in_article_id=51149&in_page_id=22
    Tory girl Emily has become the first person tipped to be dumped out of the Big Brother house.

It came hours after BB8 kicked off with an all-girl house - including the reality show's first identical twins.

Ladbrokes gave blonde Emily a 20/1 chance of winning the prize - the worst odds in the entire group of hopefuls.

Was Emily Channel4/Endemol's insider, to sex up the show, make it headline news and to prove that they are serious about the race issue (since they got into trouble with Shilpa last time around)?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I was using it as an example i know age is different to race i was making the point that there are always circumstances to consider -i feel this is the case a black person can get away with using the word a white person cant.

maybe (and it would be a good thing) sometime in the future there will be 'one rule book' for everyone but right now there is'nt and for that reason a persons race is relevent its a pity but thats the way it is.

And it was nt malicious but she still should not have said it cause even if it is 'encouraged' by balck people themselves white people shouldnt say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That is completely irrelevant. Age and Race can't be compared as the same thing.
    The fact is that we should not have one rule for Black people and one rule for White people. The rules should be the same.
    Surely having different rules based on a persons race is racist?
    Comparing what a child does to what an adult does is like saying its ok for a white person so say ****** if they have a really good tan.

It shouldnt matter a damn who says it, it matters how you say it and what is meant by it.
    If a black person calls another black person a "stupid, dumbass ******" then that can be considered offensive, whereas if I meet a black friend and say "what up my ******" I am being no more offenive than saying "what up redzer" to a friend with red hair.
    Can only fags call people fags now?

GreeBo wrote:
    Surely having different rules based on a persons race is racist?
    Comparing what a child does to what an adult does is like saying its ok for a white person so say ****** if they have a really good tan.

It shouldnt matter a damn who says it, it matters how you say it and what is meant by it.
    If a black person calls another black person a "stupid, dumbass ******" then that can be considered offensive, whereas if I meet a black friend and say "what up my ******" I am being no more offenive than saying "what up redzer" to a friend with red hair.
    Can only fags call people fags now?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here. I'm guessing you're pro-Emily, like most of us, but your argument is just a bit vague and I could be wrong and you might be anti-Emily. Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

zuutroy wrote:
    A word is just a word....People who get offended by a word are silly. Its context and intent thats important....a word is just a collection of ****ing letters.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here. I'm guessing you're pro-Emily, like most of us, but your argument is just a bit vague and I could be wrong and you might be anti-Emily. Which is it?

I'm neither pro nor anti Emily as I couldnt give a fiddlers about her.
    My point is that to fire someone from a show based on their race is racist.
    To do anything based on a persons race is racist.

Endemol either removes them both or neither of them.
    I think Emily has a case against them for "unfair dismissal"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DaveMcG wrote:
    Anyone got a clip of her saying this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

daveirl wrote:
    I don't think I'd be that offended but it would depend on a lot of things like whether I knew the person and in what context it was said and whether it was said in a threatening way.

If it was said to me while someone was just taking the p1ss and messing about I'd just laugh it off and give back as good as I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

GreeBo wrote:
    I'm neither pro nor anti Emily as I couldnt give a fiddlers about her.
    My point is that to fire someone from a show based on their race is racist.
    To do anything based on a persons race is racist.

Endemol either removes them both or neither of them.
    I think Emily has a case against them for "unfair dismissal"

I agree with your sentiment but dont think she will have a case for unfair dismisal as she will have signed a contract with them which states she can be ejected at the producers discretion. She is not an employee remember. She may however have a case for liable if endemol are stupid enough to imply that she is racist but they have not done that thus far and are refering to the situation by saying she used a racist term. I feel really sorry for this girl her life is in ruins all because of a word and people being too stupid to differentiate the context in which it is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

menoscemo wrote:
    'Paddy' will never be as offensive as the N word because it refers to us specificall, the Irish.

You say that now. In the 60's-early 70's it would be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hobbes wrote:
    You say that now. In the 60's-early 70's it would be a different story.
    You have quoted a small part of my post (actually a part which has nothing to do with your apparent argument) out of context and then a statement with no basis. N***** is more offensive than Paddy now and always has been for the reasons I Outlined above. That is my opinion.
    You can take a different side if you want. But read my post and show you have understood it first, then give me some basis for your counter argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

In an effort to show themselves off as definitely not a racist organisation, C4 introduced an undercover stooge into the Big Brother 8 house. The plan was for the stooge, Emily Parr, to make a racist comment on the programme. She would then be instantly chastised by the programme makers and booted out of the house. Thus allowing BB and C4 to publicly affirm themselves as not racist, and also, make way for a neat little twist.

This year's Big Brother opened with a complement of just women contestants. This added further fuel to the possibility that C4 is not only racist, but also a sexist outfit. At the end of the first week, however, in a very predictable and yawn-making twist, a man was brought into the house to even things up a little.

The plan was always that the stooge would be kicked out before the end of the second week. This would pave the way for two more male housemates to be brought in to the fold.

The move was executed to perfection.

Emily Parr is now entering the world of celebdom, having made lucrative deals to cash in on her Big Brother experience.

Channel four are back in talks with the Carphone Whorehouse to get them back as sponsors for the next BB debacle.

What ye think , this is from online mag

Sounds perfectly plausible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Worst theory ever.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Worst theory ever.

Do explain.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

It is a good theory alrite, I was actually thinking that when I saw her reaction to her getting kicked out, wasn't convincing. Something like this: "oh um oh dear, um i didnt mean it....oh well bye" (and then waves at the camera).

Its a bit weird how everything fits in perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

menoscemo wrote:
    You have quoted a small part of my post (actually a part which has nothing to do with your apparent argument) out of context and then a statement with no basis. N***** is more offensive than Paddy now and always has been for the reasons I Outlined above. That is my opinion.
    You can take a different side if you want. But read my post and show you have understood it first, then give me some basis for your counter argument.

I had read your post and found it lacking. Your premise that because the term spans more people that it is somehow more offensive.

It is not that at all. Many people say ****** as a non offensive term and it generally within the context of how it is used is how it is defined as offensive.

Apart from rap songs have you never watched Boondocks? There is even a whole 10 minute lecture on "****** technology" (Basically anything that you can't attach a printer too because "a ****** has nothing worth writing").

OMG DID I ACTUALLY SAY THAT!! HOW RACIST. Or if you watched the cartoon it is a white guy that says it in the show. That's even worse!! Of course the voice actor is Samual L Jackson and the show is written by a black guy. Is it still racist?

Charley called herself a ******! Clearly she must be removed too for being clearly racist as this word is so bad that many people won't even say the word here.

But back to the paddy comment. It isn't a big deal now but as I said do your history lessons. Normally these words are not the sticking point much like ******. It is generally the violence and discrimination that is bandied about with the word that makes it offensive.

In closing not directed at anyone. ****** ****** ******. Anyone offended by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I feel sorry for Emily. I never really liked her anyway - not cos she was posh, just cos she always sounded like she had something shoved up her nose.

But to be kicked off for that is just ridiculous...it's not like she was screaming or bitching about her or using the word in a nasty way. Charley herself said she wasn't offended and nobody in the house was and nobody at home should be either considering it is Big Brother and there are millions of other things far more offensive shown.

I mean you had to laugh at Big Brother in the diary room, saying that terms like that deemed offensive to viewers and to housemates are not acceptable etc. Surely the bitching and the screaming at each other, cursing and being generally nasty to each other is just as bad? Or how about shagging in the pool? Or shoving a bottle of wine up your vagina?

Now as soon as the word n igger is said everybody gets all afraid, goes all quiet. I understand that BB would take action especially because of the (stupid) race rows of last BB, but I can definitely understand Emily's state of shock when she heard the news. I think she generally regretted what she said because she realised how serious it was.

Ah...I dunno...people are so incredibly sensitive these days. Everything has to be politically correct...

In an effort to show themselves off as definitely not a racist organisation, C4 introduced an undercover stooge into the Big Brother 8 house. The plan was for the stooge, Emily Parr, to make a racist comment on the programme. She would then be instantly chastised by the programme makers and booted out of the house. Thus allowing BB and C4 to publicly affirm themselves as not racist, and also, make way for a neat little twist.

This year's Big Brother opened with a complement of just women contestants. This added further fuel to the possibility that C4 is not only racist, but also a sexist outfit. At the end of the first week, however, in a very predictable and yawn-making twist, a man was brought into the house to even things up a little.

The plan was always that the stooge would be kicked out before the end of the second week. This would pave the way for two more male housemates to be brought in to the fold.

The move was executed to perfection.

Emily Parr is now entering the world of celebdom, having made lucrative deals to cash in on her Big Brother experience.

Channel four are back in talks with the Carphone Whorehouse to get them back as sponsors for the next BB debacle.

What ye think , this is from online mag

That's from a satirical magazine. I read it myself earlier today. You can't take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Everything is a fix with BB these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Emily did not deserve to be thrown out. While she shouldnt have siad the 'N' word, the context was not ment in a racial manner. She did apologise straight after it and re-ariterated in the dairy room that she was sorry. She was not the only person who used the word either.

I do think though that if a black person said it to a black perosn we wouldnt have a forced eviction.

Shame on channel 4, this is just a great excuse to get more money from advertising. by flagging a programme before it started and at the end of each advert break as 'containg racialy offensive material and strong language' you are only encouraging people to tune in and/or keep watching (not for everyone obiously but it is true that if somethings bad you might want it more)! It was also specially extended to 11.15 last night and a big brother debate with BB's big mouth normally on E4 moved over to C4. Did anyone else think the advertisers breaks were more then a tad longer then the usual 4 mins last night?

And WHY :confused: did they feel the need to broadcast the offensive word when everyone knew about it already, apart from to show their 'editorial responsibility' for emilys side of the story? I think not....:rolleyes:

On another note, i saw a article on sky news yesterday critisising BB's decision saying that the word is now used in rap and has become common street slang.

#Sigh#...she was snotty at times but a good laugh and fairly attractive, ill miss her...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Why is it ignorant? I have pointed out that this particular phrase (which I find horrible by the way) is only still around and as prevalent because of its use in black popular culture were as other words with similar meaning have died out. Can you prove me wrong on this point. No. Most of the time you will hear this word it is spoken by a black person as a term of endearment. How can this not be confusing to a 19 year old who has already proven herself not to be the sharpest tool in the box. Can you give me any other reason why in the context that she used the word that she used it. Its not as if she had a pitchfork in hand and pillow case on her head is it? If she had turned around and called Charlie a stupid fing n**er then that is wrong because she has used the term as it would have been used when black people were treated like animals. The fact is that the roots of where she used the word in the context that she did are not rooted in racism but in balck popular culture and I do not think you can deny this.

The roots of that word are certainly not black popular culture, the word began as a derogatory term whites applied to blacks, back when racial equality was non-existent. This word despite the causes of its resurgence represents that era and for a black individual is particularly offensive esp. when uttered by a white person. That nobody is willing to acknowledge the history and discrimination this word entails is complete ignorance. Everyone seems to be failing to acknowledge Emily's tactless use of the word and even going so far as to blame Charley for making a big deal out of it!:eek: She has every right to! And as I'm sure most of us are white it is not our place or understanding to make judgements on how Charley acted after the incident.

• Advertisement

^^^ Jaysus...straight out of the PC & diplomacy handbook

Advertisement