Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily gone?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Valmont wrote:
    The roots of that word are certainly not black popular culture, the word began as a derogatory term whites applied to blacks, back when racial equality was non-existent. This word despite the causes of its resurgence represents that era and for a black individual is particularly offensive esp. when uttered by a white person. That nobody is willing to acknowledge the history and discrimination this word entails is complete ignorance. Everyone seems to be failing to acknowledge Emily's tactless use of the word and even going so far as to blame Charley for making a big deal out of it!:eek: She has every right to! And as I'm sure most of us are white it is not our place or understanding to make judgements on how Charley acted after the incident.

No one is denying the roots of the word or saying tha it is acceptable, in fact I think everyone is agreed that it is completely unacceptable, but for something to be completely unacceptable it can not have one set of rules for some people and another set of rules for other people. If the word is 'dubbed' acceptable when used by black people, it is racism in itself that a white person uses that word. Either no one can use it or everyone can use it. Saying we're ignorant is only proving your ignorance as you are obviously not reading our comments in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sure the other girl said it too. Why wasn't she booted out too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I think they were right to kick her off as she was a silly little girl and really should have thought before she spoke as I am sure she was taught to do while growing up with a silver spoon in her mouth! Charlie I think though should get an Oscar for her performance after it. She really played up to the camera after it and to the other housemates. She may have been hurt by it and the comment was unacceptable but she said she kept saying she didnt take it offence but managed to talk about it for the next how many hours??
    Did she even to the diary room to talk about it????

End of the day Emily had to go....

Charlie will be voted off next week anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

She was not the only person who used the word either.

Ah but you see that's what we call a double standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Watching big bro now Charley still doting on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hobbes wrote:
    I had read your post and found it lacking. Your premise that because the term spans more people that it is somehow more offensive.

It is not that at all. Many people say ****** as a non offensive term and it generally within the context of how it is used is how it is defined as offensive.

Apart from rap songs have you never watched Boondocks? There is even a whole 10 minute lecture on "****** technology" (Basically anything that you can't attach a printer too because "a ****** has nothing worth writing").

OMG DID I ACTUALLY SAY THAT!! HOW RACIST. Or if you watched the cartoon it is a white guy that says it in the show. That's even worse!! Of course the voice actor is Samual L Jackson and the show is written by a black guy. Is it still racist?

Charley called herself a ******! Clearly she must be removed too for being clearly racist as this word is so bad that many people won't even say the word here.

But back to the paddy comment. It isn't a big deal now but as I said do your history lessons. Normally these words are not the sticking point much like ******. It is generally the violence and discrimination that is bandied about with the word that makes it offensive.

In closing not directed at anyone. ****** ****** ******. Anyone offended by that?

Grand Mate, as I say all I was asking for was a bit of explaination, and as you have proved you have an ability to think and explain yourself i have no problem. Too many people have opinions without actually having thought out why they have them and why they think that way. I was just challenging you on that. I get by your point that Paddy was ofensive. To be honest I would be pretty offended If an Englishman called me one but not if anyone else did. I can therefore see why Black people would be offended by white people calling them 'that word' whatever the context.
    I get your point about humour, there is nothing as good as a bit of comedy challenging the way people think and making them look stupid for thinking that way, Borat or that scene from southpark are great examples.
    Words can be taken many ways depending on the context and 'how' they are said for sure. Emily's use of the word is neither comic nor Ironic, it is just idiotic. I also wouldn't take anything Charley said to mean anything, she is also Idiotic but she has a right to call herself anything she wants in fairness.

Anyway I never thought I would ever be writing so much in a Big Brother forum. To be honest I was just curious to see what people were saying about the n***** incident and on reading a bunch of similar views decided to say something different. Gotta provoke conversation and make people think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And WHY did they feel the need to broadcast the offensive word when everyone knew about it already, apart from to show their 'editorial responsibility' for emilys side of the story? I think not....

Because if they didn't, they'd be accused of a cover up (a la the Jack Tweedy fiasco). No matter what they did they would be criticised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

'Paddy' or 'Mick' may not have as cruel a history as the 'n' word in your opinion, but there are many of us who find it just as offensive. They are the terms the English gave to our people when they were invading our country and killing people for using our own language or standing up against them. How is that not offensive? We were opressed for hundreds of years and they were the terms used for us.
    Please don't call me or anybody else narrow-minded and ignorant for not forgetting that our ancestors suffered racial abuse also, it is incredibly insulting. It would be great if everyone in the world could live in perfect harmony, but with racist slurs flying around no one will. I take great offense to people calling me a 'Paddy' and I have reasons for taking offense to it (even when meant as a joke) just as Charley had reason for taking offense to the term Emily used, but how it was handled was wrong. I don't go around calling myself a 'Paddy' and I don't like when any Irish person uses it, so I can't condone Charley's use of the word and that is why all 3 should have been kicked out or all 3 given a warning.

Sorry for using those words, they are too harsh. However, I just disagree with you about the offensiveness of the terms.
    I think that if someone used the term 'paddy' mailiciously then yes they should be booted out and considered racist. I just think that with a word like the 'n' word the intent is a bit irrelevant. I have exeperienced racism here but I really don't think that it would come anywhere near to being called the 'n' word. I had an argument with a friend today about it and he thinks I'm giving the word too much meaning but I genuinely believe that the word just simply has too much horrific history. Just look at how most posters are censoring the 'n' word but noone is censoring 'paddy'. I think the racism against black people was far worse than any suffered by the Irish. Just look at Ireland today - people may be racist against the Polish and complain about jobs and whatever other bull**** they come out with but at the same time the racism against black people living here is on another level because the Polish and other Eastern Europeans are white. The fact the she came out with it so easily is worrying and the housemates with her were clearly shocked and Charley was offended. I don't think her shock was fake and she was clearly upset. She can't be so good an actress that she has control over her immediate reactions.
    Also the other people who used the word were talking about Emily saying it, so surely that's completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

loved it though when they said she had to leave straight away by the door in the diary room and she says like 'I haven't even got any underwear on'

oooh a stirring in the groin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Interesting that channel 4 got 922 complaints saying that Emily SHOULDN'T have been thrown out, and only 68 messages of support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting that channel 4 got 922 complaints saying that Emily SHOULDN'T have been thrown out, and only 68 messages of support!
    I guarantee you that those numbers would've been reversed if they had of allowed her to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Just to clear up a few points. I don't think Emily should have been evicted but she definitely deserved a harsher reprimand than Charley. Despite how much everyone here despises it, there are double standards in place for the n word and they are mostly adhered too, like it or not. I just think saying that Emily is a victim of racism is completely over the top and is ignorant of the true (not desired) issues involved with the n word.

It seems some people have heads-in-the-cloud idealism regarding the equal reprimand of both black and white people for using the n word but unfortunately this is not the case.

I know Emily is hot but jeez;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Heres the actual transcript that took place:

Emily: (referring to Charley dancing/pushing her hips forward) You pushing it out you n*****.

Nicky: (shocked laughter) Em, I can't believe you said that.

Charley: You are in trouble.

Emily: Don't make a big thing out of it then. I was joking.

Charley: I know you were... but that's some serious ****, sorry.

Emily: Why?

Charley: Oh my god. I'm not even saying it.

Nicky: Just don't talk about it anymore.

Emily: I was joking

Charley: Do you know how many viewers would watch that?

Nicky: Okay, don't make a big deal out of it.

Charley: Fancy you saying that. I can't believe you said that.

Emily: Somebody has already used that word in this house.

Charley: No way. (Pause) Yeah, me. I'm a n******.

Nicky laughs.

Charley: I am one. Fancy you saying it. I know
    maybe you see it in a rap song. Maybe you and your friends sit there saying it.

Emily: I'm friendly with plenty of black people.

Nicky: And you call them n******?

Emily: Yeah and they call me n******. They call me wiggers as well.

Nicky: I'm quite shocked.

Charley: I'm ****ing in shock.

Emily: It's not a big deal though is it?

Charley: Not for us it ain't. F***k me

Clearly charley is somewhat in the wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Why do people get offended by words anyway?...especially if they're not said in a malicious way.

Never mind segregation, slavery etc. saying 'nigga' is racist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

menoscemo wrote:
    You have quoted a small part of my post (actually a part which has nothing to do with your apparent argument) out of context and then a statement with no basis. N***** is more offensive than Paddy now and always has been for the reasons I Outlined above. That is my opinion.
    You can take a different side if you want. But read my post and show you have understood it first, then give me some basis for your counter argument.

"It generalises us Irish. But at least we are all generically similar and one is able to categorise us."
    Paddy does not mean Irish.
    Paddy means a useless, unemployable, drunken twat from Ireland who will probably be taken home from the pub by the police.

Unless your name is Patrick, Paddy is usually a derogatory term.

Advertisement