Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat C License, same waiting list?

• 07-06-2007 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a Cat C license but don't know what the story is with it. Do you just do a theory test, get a provisional and then apply for a full, the same process as a B license? Would I be waiting 12 months to sit the full test like I would if I was applying for a B and what's the story with being a provisional Cat C driver if there is such a thing? Do I need a fully licensed Cat C driver with me all the time:confused:

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a Cat C license but don't know what the story is with it. Do you just do a theory test, get a provisional and then apply for a full, the same process as a B license? Would I be waiting 12 months to sit the full test like I would if I was applying for a B and what's the story with being a provisional Cat C driver if there is such a thing? Do I need a fully licensed Cat C driver with me all the time:confused:
    That's exactly it.

Provided you have a full C licence; You apply for the theory test, sit it. Apply for a provisional C licence. Apply for your test. Sit it.

You would not drive a category C vehicle without a fully licenced C driver beside you. You need a fully licenced C driver with you at all times. Afaik, no insurance company will cover you for everyday driving unless you have a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

cormie wrote:
    Hi,

Any feedback appreciated:)

hi m8,
    First apply & pass theory test,then get a medical form fill out by your GP(not a lot to it),then you can get your prov licence,the waiting list is way shorter than cars prob 6-10 weeks(gorey is).you get a seperate prov licence & when you pass it will be all on the one licence (B,C1 + C);) ,you do need a fully licenced 'C' driver with you at all times but i have seen loads without:eek: .
    best of luck with it.btw lessons are €90 each approx(2hrs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whaaaaaa?

There is such a thing as a provisional C licence?
    And people actually driving around on one?
    30 tons of gravel jockeyd around by someone who's never driven a truck before??

Jeeez ...I never realised ...

That's it ...from now on, I'm staying at home.

Insanity ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

peasant wrote:
    The theory is of course that you wouldn't be driving a truck in an employment sense unless you had gotten your full licence.

There are however, a large number of people driving lorries and rigid trucks on provisional licences. It's quite scary really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies:) may as well get it out of the way incase I want to go supersize;)

The thought of people driving around on provisional licenses isn't so bad if they've had lessons and have a full B license, but yeah, going straight to a 3.5 tonne plus at 17 for your first vehicle would be a bit ridiculous driving around on your own:p

One last question, will I need my own 3.5+ vehicle to sit the test? I'm only interested in a Transit Jumbo and the likes at the moment, nothing bigger really:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

U can rent the trucks off places that do the lessons... airport, ISM etc

Fas do a C licence course, €400 for 10 lessons n it includes the theory test n the test itself... more than half the price of paying ur own way. Think it might be an eve course so anyone can do it(not sure)

Also, as soon as u start doing lessons apply for the test, that way by the time u finish ur lessons u'll ave ur test.. I didnt do that n waited six weeks till after my last lesson before i got my test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cormie wrote:
    The thought of people driving around on provisional licenses isn't so bad if they've had lessons and have a full B license

Or so you may think ...

Driving a 4 ton Transit after having some experience on a car is one thing ...driving a proper truck (especially if its fully laden) and possibly with a trailer, is a different world altogether.

You take your first lesson, then we'll talk again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Exactly... Driving a Rigid HGV unladen n fully laden is a totally different world in itself. U really gotta know ur brakes...

Technically u could just do a C1 in a vehicle that falls in that cat(big transit etc) but its worth doing the full C... Once u get the hang of it its easy as pie, I find it easier to drive my truck than my mams citroen berlingo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, sure it's even pretty daunting going from a ford fiesta to a transit, I'm afraid to go any bigger:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,539 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    Whaaaaaa?

Jeeez ...I never realised ...

That's it ...from now on, I'm staying at home.

Insanity ...

I couldn't agree more. That's complete madness :mad:

Moved to learning to drive. Maybe Wishbone Ash could confirm / deny this provisional C license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,998 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unkel wrote:
    Maybe Wishbone Ash could confirm / deny this provisional C license
    Of course it's possible to drive a rigid truck under a provisional C license (or an articulated truck under a provisional C+E license after passing a C test). How else can a person lbe legally expected to earn?

You must bear in mind that a provisional C license holder must already have a full license in category B. Another point to remember is that 95% of provisional truck drivers do not have their own truck and only get the opportunity to drive a truck belonging to a school and are therefore always accompanied by a fully licensed driver, unlike many of our category B friends.

In my experience, very few employers will employ a truck driver with a provisional license as their insurance policies don't usually allow it, but, as in very industry, there are 'cowboys'. This would not apply to 'owner-drivers' though.

Advertisement