Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Vegan hangout

Options
  • 07-06-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey there,

On the vegetarian soc of irel we were thinking of setting up a monthly - quarterly meeting with fellow veggies and vegans in Dublin.

Just to hang out, swap recipes, share buying wine/alcohol/meat-dairy substitutes/stayign healthy and happy etc.

Also for some intertesting discussions and support. After all, being vegan myself I often find myself in the minority and often feel under a microscope at meals esp at restaurants when you ask for special treatments. being around people who experience the same (even from friends and fam - my mam still thinks Im vegan to annoy her - Im 26 for gods sake!)

Anyone else interested?

Ciara

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Live in galway with my vegan so thta's a no no for me. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's an interesting idea, and a good one. Are you suggesting we meet in restaurants or each others homes - homes would be best but make for a bit of work for the host!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If it has humous and falafels, I'm there :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Shortcut to: http://vegan.meetup.com/cities/ie/dublin/
    I suggest that if you do this then do it through the meetup group. I think that Dublin did have a group at one time that arranged meetings but I do not know if they are still active.
    The advantage of doing it through this forum is that the software is in place to send out communications to other members and for replies and all of that.
    It is also a better way of getting new members because a lot of people check that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

I'm a vegan down in Waterford so I won't be able to do a weekly meet up but it still looks interesting. I'll be in Dublin tomorrow and I'm gonna check out cornucopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Mentalmiss wrote:
    I suggest that if you do this then do it through the meetup group.

It's a good way of doing it, but I think that you would get more people from organising something on boards.

Peanut wrote:
    It's a good way of doing it, but I think that you would get more people from organising something on boards.
    You can post here and on other boards asking people to join but I still think that it would be better to do it through the meet up group.
    They have the set up in place to allow people to vote for the venue and to inform everyone. It was set up specifically for that purpose.

Great
    I have just checked and 17 others have joined before me. That sounds like a decent meetup group to me.
    I am on the vegan one.
    There are 11 on the vegetarian one

I think that someone has to pay a monthly fee to get it started.
    I am willing to do that if there are enough people who are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i notice that on the newslwtter think, most sign-ups to the vegan one occur in 2005. with only two joining in 2006 and 4 in 2007. i doubt most of these people are still checking the pages. best to keeo info on this very active forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, i'd be interested and i have a vegan friend who'd come too. but neither of us would be in dublin till after summer. i'd say meeting up in places like cafe fresh, cornicopia, blazing salads and govindas would be a very good idea. even book a table, cause they're guarenteed a turnout! plus, cafe fresh does a 10% discount for vegetarian society members :) though, i wouldnt be keep on the news group thing (enough things to check on the net as it is) but an announcement on this forum would be good. we should definately get this going!

Advertisement