Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance rebate??

Options
  • 07-06-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi...I got a policy with QD last August on my first provisional..Passed driving test last week and now have full licence...there is still 2.5 months on my current policy...I was informed that I would be due a small refund on the remainder of the policy based on my new licence...Rang QD and told them the news and enquired about a rebate...The girl on the phone told me that no refund or increase was indicated on her screen based on my details change...My question is, am I entitled to get anything back??.. Know its not much but just rather I have it than them....Cheers...S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If the annual premium remains relatively unchanged (i.e you would have paid the same from the get go if you'd had a full licence versus a provisional) then no you aren't.

QD seem to be unique in that a lot of the time there is only a few quid difference between quotes for full v provisional licence holders. My insurance would only be something like 20 euro less a year if I had a full licence! Other insurers, where the gap is huge, would most likely give a rebate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Hi,

After the inception of insurance policies, all changes to policies are automatically subject to a minimum charge, be they for additional premium transactions or refunds.

I would imagine that since you’re fairly close to your renewal date, the actual refund generated (before the standard charge) is quite low and is probably less than the standard charge. ie the standard charge probably absorbed your refund.

So in summary, the further you are away from your renewal date, the more likely you’ll get a rebate and vice versa.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

best advice - shop around for your next year

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Thanks to all!:)

Not worth pursuing so, but defo will shop round for next policy. Heard that FBD are very competitive at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Eagle Star too.
    I was with QD, got my full license in Feb, Insurance due for renewal in april.
    I got 120 back from them. But when my renewal quote came in it was 1500, got it with eagle star for 1000, if i recall FBD came in around 1200
    So shop around is the best advise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement