Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Charter

Options
  • 07-06-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Morning,

There was a thread this morning in After Hours called “is this allowed”. Within the thread, I was a subject of personal abuse…. The post was reported for that reason, but also because within the post there was a link to the Animals & Pet Issues forum , to one of my previous threads in there… to which the offending user replied (in After Hours) by saying “kill the cat”. If the user had posted this reply in the Animals & Pet Issues forum, it would have resulted in a ban, but because they replied in After Hours, the Moderator there informed me that there is nothing they can do. The user should have been banned for personal abuse anyway, but that’s irrelevant.

Is / should there be some rule in place that if a link to another forum is replied to in a different form that it should be at the Moderators discretion to apply the linked forums charter?!

If anyone’s interested, this is the thread I’m talking about: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103785
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I dont think you have much of a case, each forum has a charter, so each forum has its own rules and mods. What is insulting in one forum, is funny in another. Take away the animosity and you would have users running around demanding bans.

What you should point out though, is that the post "kill the cat" would be in my mind be a attempt to both insult and goad you into a fight. Ignoring the other forum, what he did on After Hours is still against the rules. He attacked the poster and not the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

krazy_8s wrote:
    I dont think you have much of a case, each forum has a charter, so each forum has its own rules and mods. What is insulting in one forum, is funny in another.

This is very true and often a concept that many newer users find difficult to grasp at first, through no fault of their own. There are a huge number of fora on boards and each has their own 'personality'. This is why people are asked to read the charter before posting.

If you do have a problem or think someone is getting at you because of something you posted elsewhere then report it and maybe PM the mod in question explaining why you think action should be taken. Be prepared to accept the mod decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

r3nu4l wrote:
    This is very true and often a concept that many newer users find difficult to grasp at first, through no fault of their own.

I'm not a new user ..........
    r3nu4l wrote:
    If you do have a problem or think someone is getting at you because of something you posted elsewhere then report it

I reported the post.

r3nu4l wrote:
    and maybe PM the mod in question explaining why you think action should be taken. Be prepared to accept the mod decision.

I did.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    There are a huge number of fora on boards and each has their own 'personality'. This is why people are asked to read the charter before posting.

This is the point I'm making though, should it not be the case that if the user has linked to another forum and replied in a different one, that it should be at the moderators discretion to take in to account both forum charters?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an obscure occurence, and one that I don't think we need a specific rule on.

I don't really have a problem with a user continuing a discussion in a forum that's more suited to it. Often, for example, a thread in After Hours that's beginning to become crap, will be linked from a new topic in Humanities, in order to restart/continue the discussion in a more serious manner.

The opposite is also true - Humanities topics being linked from an After Hours thread in order to have a more light-hearted discussion.

The only exception I would have for this is a user starting a thread in a forum, because they're banned from the more suitable forum. I would advise a definite lock, and a ban at the mods' discretion.

In the case you quote, the poster was attempting to goad you into a row by trolling. I don't think it requires a definite rule to be set for it.

I'm not a new user ..........
    I never said you were,I said this is a problem often faced by new users, not elviscostello (if that is your real name!) is a new user and he's having a problem with this...I can read join dates you know ;)

I reported the post.
    Good stuff

I did.
    That's just great!

This is the point I'm making though, should it not be the case that if the user has linked to another forum and replied in a different one, that it should be at the moderators discretion to take in to account both forum charters?
    I don't agree that it should be in the charter but bear in mind that it already is at the mods discretion whether to take into account other fora charters.

I do think that your complaint is covered by trolling to be honest, although it is a more discrete type of trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You weren't exactly particularly non-goading and untrolllishlike in your OP Mr. Costello.

r3nu4l wrote:
    I never said you were,I said this is a problem often faced by new users, not elviscostello (if that is your real name!) is a new user and he's having a problem with this...I can read join dates you know ;)

Good stuff

That's just great!

There's no need to take such a sarcastic manner in your reply, I was simply pointing out that I had followed correct procedure , as a result of your comment which I presumed was directed at me. Don't know why it has any relevance, but elviscostello isn't my real name.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    but bear in mind that it already is at the mods discretion whether to take into account other fora charters.

That's the point I'm trying to make in this thread, the Mod I spoke to via PM told me the opposite of what you just said. It's not in the charter of After Hours so there's nothing he can do.
    Gordon wrote:
    You weren't exactly particularly non-goading and untrolllishlike in your OP Mr. Costello.

There was nothing wrong with my original post in the thread, I was simply pointing out that it was a ridiculous thread ...... in a round about way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I did not mean there was nothing I could have done, it was a close decision to ban him or not. I said it was against the charter in a different forum, not in After Hours, which has different rules and a different tone. Applying the two forums charters makes no sense to me. Charters can contradict each other.
    I'm not exactly going to be held up by the AH charter, since I can change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Morning,

Within the thread, I was a subject of personal abuse….

The user should have been banned for personal abuse anyway, but that’s irrelevant.
    Surely trolling here!
    I'd hardly call it personal abuse. Wipe those tears away and get over yourself.

There's no need to take such a sarcastic manner in your reply, I was simply pointing out that I had followed correct procedure , as a result of your comment which I presumed was directed at me. Don't know why it has any relevance, but elviscostello isn't my real name.
    Apologies, no offence meant, I simply aped (mimiced) your response style to my post :)
    That's the point I'm trying to make in this thread, the Mod I spoke to via PM told me the opposite of what you just said. It's not in the charter of After Hours so there's nothing he can do.
    I should clarify, I didn't mean that a mod should look at the rules of another charter and apply those rules in AH, I meant that if a mod wants to, s/he can choose to look at the charter of the other forum and determine whether the other person is using AH to make a comment that they may have been banned for on the other forum?

There are plenty of in-jokes and comments about posts made in other fora, all across boards.ie but if those comments aren't in jest or are deliberately malicious and have been made in another forum simply to avoid a ban on that forum then in my view (and only my view) a mod can choose to take action.

• Advertisement

There was nothing wrong with my original post in the thread
    It's all relative.

Incidentally Elvis; you've little to be worrying about if this is on your list of priorities for the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How does the bike jump so high in your avatar gordon??

Gordon wrote:
    It's all relative.

Incidentally Elvis; you've little to be worrying about if this is on your list of priorities for the day.
    Quality :D:D

I did not mean there was nothing I could have done, it was a close decision to ban him or not. I said it was against the charter in a different forum, not in After Hours, which has different rules and a different tone. Applying the two forums charters makes no sense to me. Charters can contradict each other.
    I'm not exactly going to be held up by the AH charter, since I can change it.

Thanks for the reply Tar....

That's fair enough then, the way I took it up was it was out of your hands as the charter applied to just the linked forum... that's the reason I brought it up here, as I felt it unfair that the user can link to a thread posted in one forum , and reply on the other, without both charters being taken in to account. In my opinion , from the time I've spent in the Animals & Pet Issues forum, the users comment would have resulted in an instant ban.

It's obviously more of an issue of me being unhappy with your decision rather than anything else, going by what you've said above.
    raido9 wrote:
    Surely trolling here!
    I'd hardly call it personal abuse. Wipe those tears away and get over yourself.

How do you figure out that is trolling? 50% of the term personal abuse is made up of ..... surprisingly ..... the word personal. That's a coincedence , considering that the person at the recieving end would be the one to judge how they took it personally.

EDIT: Addition rather than another post....

r3nu4l, thanks and apologies for any mis-understanding! I see where you're coming from.

Gordon, That original post has nothing to do with what I'm talking about... Fair enough, I was taking the piss out of the user for posting such a ridiculous thread ... but it has nothing to do with my OP in here.

Gordon, That original post has nothing to do with what I'm talking about... Fair enough, I was taking the piss out of the user for posting such a ridiculous thread ... but it has nothing to do with my OP in here.
    Right you are. I'm with seamus on this one.

Gordon wrote:
    Right you are. I'm with seamus on this one.

And just for the record ...... I posted this with a valid query.. Not a bashing on the Mod , the forum guidelines, the user or anyone else. And not as previously mentioned, an attempt to troll. I'm just looking for opinions on the charter from another forum (as explained!!!) being taken in to account etc etc

And just for the record ...... I posted this with a valid query.. Not a bashing on the Mod , the forum guidelines, the user or anyone else. And not as previously mentioned, an attempt to troll. I'm just looking for opinions on the charter from another forum (as explained!!!) being taken in to account etc etc
    Let me get this straight. This thread is all about the tongue in cheek comment to "Kill the cat", which you regard as "personal abuse & condoning animal cruelty". :confused:

Yep I've read it a few times and it still sounds ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

raido9 wrote:
    Let me get this straight. This thread is all about the tongue in cheek comment to "Kill the cat", which you regard as "personal abuse & condoning animal cruelty". :confused:

Yep I've read it a few times and it still sounds ridiculous.

besides who ever heard of "cat stew....."

Wanny%20and%20Mutton%206x8%2072%20dpi.jpg

N8 wrote:
    besides who ever heard of "cat stew....."

Wanny%20and%20Mutton%206x8%2072%20dpi.jpg

I never once referred to the cat stew comment ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

This isn't the first time there has been threats made against the lives of cats on Boards. Its something the admin would really want to clamp down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This isn't the first time there has been threats made against the lives of cats on Boards. Its something the admin would really want to clamp down on.
    You should start a new thread looking to become an admin instead of a mod then you could clamp down on these moronic devilish deeds then yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seamus pretty much summed it up, the only time that it isn't ok is when it's to circumvent a ban or carry on a slagging match that got locked/banned in another forum.

Beyond that, as with most things on here, if it's reasonable it's allowed.

As for the "abuse" you got, you trolled him and got a reaction. Neither of you took it to a point where you deserved a ban, so no big deal really. Oh, and this is just a personal thing, please don't quote a post and say "Reported". It stirs up unnecessary reactions from people and just because it's reported doesn't mean that the mods actually agree and will do something about it. A lot of the time doing this will only create hassle on a thread and we don't need that really.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have warned Fighting Irish because he's come up on my radar a lot more then once.

Mr Costello, you werent completely blameless from the start. I suggest you consider the matter closed.

Thread has a limited lifespan...

DeV.

Just like to add, when you report a post, you don't have to pm me too, five seconds later. I have a pop up that tells me. :-)

Thanks for the replies lads, but it's about as much of a positive response I expected in this forum. I didn't come on here to give out etc... just simply asking a question / making a suggestion. It of course resulted in every relevant Mod/Admin telling me I'm completely wrong.
    nesf wrote:
    please don't quote a post and say "Reported". It stirs up unnecessary reactions from people and just because it's reported doesn't mean that the mods actually agree and will do something about it. A lot of the time doing this will only create hassle on a thread and we don't need that really.

nesf, you should update the charter to reflect your point.....
    If you report a post, it is always a good idea to say so in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

nesf, you should update the charter to reflect your point.....

*checks*

Who added that... :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks for the replies lads, but it's about as much of a positive response I expected in this forum. I didn't come on here to give out etc... just simply asking a question / making a suggestion. It of course resulted in every relevant Mod/Admin telling me I'm completely wrong.

How do you figure that??

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

muffler wrote:
    You should start a new thread looking to become an admin instead of a mod then you could clamp down on these moronic devilish deeds then yourself ;)

Ha!:D

Advertisement