Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 sim card and non 3 phone

• 07-06-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

hi guys

Sorry if this has been asked before but I´ve been looking for a straight answer to this and am having no luck.

I have a HTC Tytn and want to get a 3 Billpay sim with data add on for it. Now aparently this is frowned upon by three. I realise I must buy a 3 phone as they do not sell sim only for postpay. My question is will the sim work in a non 3 phone? Some say yes and some say no.

Is there anyone out there who has signed up to 3 billpay within the last few weeks who has tried or can try their sim in a non 3 phone and can verify if it will indeed work.

much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Is there anyone out there who has signed up to 3 billpay within the last few weeks who has tried or can try their sim in a non 3 phone and can verify if it will indeed work.

Yes, about 3 weeks ago ago my wife got an SE610i on 3 Billpay and the sim works in my sim free N95. No issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skary

I have used my postpay 3 sim in a non 3 handset, but there are some handsets that will not recognise the sim card, as 3's "Usims" are a different make up than the normal sim cards that the other networks have.
    So it may work, it may not, but there is nothing stopping you from trying... 3 will not "disable" or cancel your sim for doing so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

with a 14 day money back guarantee you have nothing to lose except a little bit of hassle. 3pay works anyway even if badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

sound guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Skary wrote:
    I have used my postpay 3 sim in a non 3 handset, but there are some handsets that will not recognise the sim card, as 3's "Usims" are a different make up than the normal sim cards that the other networks have.
    So it may work, it may not, but there is nothing stopping you from trying... 3 will not "disable" or cancel your sim for doing so :)

3 sims won't work in ordinary 2g phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

I have a 3 post pay sim working in an E61 with no major problems. Only issue I have come across is that I cant navigate to the 3 homepage (http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey) for some reason?!?! Other than that, its spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skary

3 sims won't work in ordinary 2g phones

I use it in my Nokia 6230i when I am driving because of the car kit - it works fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭steosavage

i am getting a HTC Tytn in the morning and i am on 3 billpay so i will let you no how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gines_

my 3 sim doesnt work with my simlock free k750i!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

gines_ wrote:
    my 3 sim doesnt work with my simlock free k750i!!

You did read the specs, right? The K750i does not support 3G at all, doesn't matter who the provider is. It's a 2G-only phone.

• Advertisement

i got the htc today and work grate with my 3 sim i am just haveing a hard time getting the gprs setup for internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I had some trouble setting up the all the data and mms settings on a FS T830with a Three sim. With a bit of perseverance and some helpful suggestions from kind souls on this board I finally got it all working. See my notes below. These should work on any Windows Mobile device. The only aspect that is not working is video streaming from Three's home page. That is I can browse their pages OK but get an error if I try to open any of the free videos.

So try these and see how you get on:

General Settings

Use My ISP for general setting

For Modem, use ‘Internet’

Enter a name of the connection: Internet
    Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
    Access point name: 3ireland.ie
    Internet: User name/Password/Domain should all be blank
    Advanced: Select Use server-assigned IP address under TC/IP and Servers

MMS
    Go to MMS Settings from the MMS Inbox
    Create profile under MMSC Settings called 3 MMS ( I deleted all the other default profiles)
    Don’t touch Send/Receive/About
    Profile Settings:
    Profile Name: 3 MMS
    MMSC: http//mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    Data Connection: The Internet
    Gateway: WAP 2.0 Gateway
    IP Address: 217.171.129.2
    Port: 8799

POP3

E-mail Setup (1/4)
    Enter your email address
    E-mail Setup (2/4)
    Enter your name
    Enter your user name
    Enter your password
    E-mail Setup (3/4)
    Account Information:
    Account Type: POP3
    Name: POP3
    E-mail Setup (4/4)
    Server Information:
    Incoming mail: mail2.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail: mail2.eircom.net
    Domain: Blank

Options 1/3
    Connection: The Internet
    Options 2/3
    Leave everything un ticked
    Options 3/3
    As required

SMS (Text Messages)

Phone
    Menu
    Options
    Services
    Voice Mail and Text Messages
    Get Settings

Text messages service center: +353830000800
    Voice Mail:171

thanks alot mate i got the gprs one to work but the mss is not the same as you said i am useing wm6

Advertisement