Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bratz dvds - small kids ?

Options
  • 07-06-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭

My wife gave out to me because I bought a few 'Bratz' dvds for my daughters, aged 7 and 4. She says they are too young for them and has put them away even though its the only dvd that the 7 y o asks for. Any opinions anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would not have them in my house tbh.
    I have no time for the values or lack there of in them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratz

Even down to the appearance of the characters in them,
    their faces look like they have undergone extreme plastic surgery and their bodies are just as bad.
    They are a horrible parody of beauty to have any child aspire to.

http://www.apa.org/pi/wpo/sexualization.html
    Bratz dolls come dressed in sexualized clothing such as miniskirts, fishnet stockings, and feather boas. Although these dolls may present no more sexualization of girls or women than is seen in MTV videos, it is worrisome when dolls designed specifically for 4- to 8-year-olds are associated with an objectified adult sexuality

– APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls, Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls

Have you watched them and had a critical look at them yourself ?

Just because our children 'want' things does not mean that they should get them.

Why not look at better alternative role model for your young daughters like Dora the explorer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_the_Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I have to agree, no way would I have them in the house. They're obnoxious imho - but each to their own when it comes to parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I second Thaedydal's opinion. My wifes niece was watching these on TV and I caught a glimpse , I was totally shocked .

Really horrible.

I have seen other cartoons aimed at this age with the characters being ' bitchy ' with one another ie comparing chest sizes and all sorts.. pushing people out of ' their gang ' because they were not developed etc ...

I would be very careful with all cartoons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks lads for your replies, I think I'll take the advice and bin them, didnt realise they were that 'adult orientated', there is plenty more kids ones to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Shockin Stockin

Just to add to what's been said.
    I've a 9 year old who watched the series on telly. I was disgusted one day, where the "baddie" was punished by the bratz by being force fed "carbs".... she got fat. Everyone laughed. A happy ending.
    I couldn't believe it. I was fuming. It has since been banned in my house.
    She had DVD's (which I've watched) and dolls, and bar a joke about someone with a nosejob which appeared to be a "bad thing", since seeing the series I wonder what they are thinking at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm amazed at the number of US cartoons & real-life kids shows which seem to be obsessed with the 'popular' group, and the main character is having such a terrible time at being excluded from the popular gang.

Life is better and easier if you conform is the repeated theme of a lot of things aimed at children from american culture.

RainyDay, Couldn't agree with you more.

I will hesitate to even have the TV on with the little one around , although she seems to love music .

We have a guy at work who got rid of his TV when his son was born and replaced it with a fish tank !

Jaysus, getting rid of the tv is a bit extreme don't you think?

While some of the shows they put out are really unsuitable for kids there are some lovely cartoons out there. Dora, Diego, the Wonder Pets etc all reinforce the idea of team work & helping others. My little lad loves music too & is a huge fan of the wiggles - to be honest if it wasn't for them I'd get no house work done ever! Long live the wiggles!!

My daughter is only 16 months , so thank god she hasn't got hooked yet, although she seems to love F1 racing ( most be the noise/movement )

She seems to be happy playing away with bricks building towers etc , maybe in a few months time this will change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

My little one is 17 months old and she is not too interested in TV except she seems to like music channels like MTV or VH1. Her favourite tunes at the moment are Mika (Grace Kelly) and Christina Aguilera (Candyman)...oh god! :D

I try and encourage mine to do othersg not jsut sit and watch tell to colour n or play with lego ect and then I am very slective about what they can watch the abilty to set a favourites list of channels they are allows to watch helps and limiting the ammount of time the tv is on for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

My 15 month old doesn't pay any attention to the TV and is happy to play in front of it if we are watching it, with the exception of "Bear in the Big Blue House"... if it is turned on she will sit there clued to the TV. I wonder if there is some subliminal hypnotic messages that only affect those under 2.

Linford wrote:
    My 15 month old doesn't pay any attention to the TV and is happy to play in front of it if we are watching it, with the exception of "Bear in the Big Blue House"... if it is turned on she will sit there clued to the TV. I wonder if there is some subliminal hypnotic messages that only affect those under 2.

LOL - would they be the subliminal messages telling the kids to wake up at 5.30am wanting to play & to draw on the walls in crayon???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RIRI wrote:
    LOL - would they be the subliminal messages telling the kids to wake up at 5.30am wanting to play & to draw on the walls in crayon???

No, that's hardwired into the genes. ;)

As for getting rid of the TV, honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it's (like most things) in moderation. If you leave your kids sit in front of it for 10 or 12 hours a day you'll reap what you sow. But leaving them watch the odd regular cartoon or whatever isn't going to have an enormous effect on them.

Guys

I didn't advocate getting rid of the tele, I just said I know a guys who has... he downloads whatever he wants to watch off the net and uses a computer to watch the programs .

I think about the tele as I do most things , moderation is the key. If you use the tele as an electronic babysitter you will as Nesf says reap what you sow.

I would advocate watching tele with the kids , having now seen some of the cartoons that are aimed at 6-10 year olds I was totally gobsmacked. As said by previous posters some had some sort of popular group and ' nerd ' who were looked down upon . As I said previously some even showed pressure on chrs who were fat/'ugly'/didn't conform. How anyone can let their kids watch them is beyond me . ( perhaps ' let ' is to strong a word eh ! )

Anyway at this time of year I would like to think they are outside getting fresh air ( assuming the rain ever stops ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Linford wrote:

Studys show that kids under 2 should get no screen time at all. I think its lazy parenting allowing them to watch tv. I don't own a tv and don't plan on it, especially not when i have kids. People seem to get so sucked in to it and turn into total morons, the few shows worth watching are so few and far between you might as well just download them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Studys show that kids under 2 should get no screen time at all. I think its lazy parenting allowing them to watch tv. I don't own a tv and don't plan on it, especially not when i have kids. People seem to get so sucked in to it and turn into total morons, the few shows worth watching are so few and far between you might as well just download them.

Thank you for advising me how to raise my daughter, especially seeing as I don't think I was seeking advice on how to raise her and you have no experience of raising children as you don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I saw an episode of Bratz once where a tomboyish 'punk' brat couldn't get any attention from the boy brat she liked. The other bratz gave her a makeover (extensions, slutty clothes, slutty deportment/flirting lessons, make-up). She exclaimed with delight at the result: 'Now I look just like you!'. Of course, the boy brat asked her out on a date at the end.

*kills all humans*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seriously, no offence or anything but it's easy to have all the answers when you don't have to raise one yourself.

• Advertisement

Linford wrote:
    Thank you for advising me how to raise my daughter, especially seeing as I don't think I was seeking advice on how to raise her and you have no experience of raising children as you don't have any.

Yes! I too needed this imput on raisisng my son from a parentless individual:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aria-bella

Greenkittie you must have known you would be brought to task for telling REAL LIVE parents how to parent their children when you dont have any ..

Seriously no offence but only a parent knows how difficult it is to get a moments peace to catch up on housework or whatever needs doing .. While i would not allow my little one to watch bratz or any other similarly vacuous show..Shows like bear and barney have good messages and in fairness until you have kids yourself .. You are in NO position to be on a high horse IMO

If anyone has an issue with a post report it.

This forum is not just for parents it is for those who are involved with children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, gardians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

//Gasps in horror at this thread//

I've just sent my 5 year old off to summer camp in a Bratz t shirt! Someone gave it to her for her birthday and I thought nothing of it because she doesn't watch it and I had no idea what it was all about... just another little girls cartoon I thought! Someone also gave her a Bratz doll who promptly got her feet pulled off and has been at the bottom of the toy box ever since (my girl doesn't like dolls:D ). I had no idea of the content of the programme at all... that's an awful message to be giving little ones.

Advertisement