Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Security and baby foods??

Options
  • 07-06-2007 1:09pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought Id ask this here instead of Travel since maybe someone has travelled with a baby.

Does anyone know what the situation is with taking babys bottles/food jars on to planes?

Im travelling in about 8 weeks to Majorca with a 9 month old and have huge concerns about carrying the babys food on board.Theres probably going to be maybe 5/6 bottles in hand luggage to allow for delays etc and probably some jars of food aswell.

Does anyone know whether security will allow these on board or is there a procedeure for packing them.
    I know theres a 100ml(??) limit on liquids but the babys on 8oz bottles and thats well above the limit.

Thanks
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You should check with the airline.

I flew NYC to California and there was a mother with a toddler in the seat behind me and the airhostess confiscated a yogurt she was feeding to the child.

Ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,
    I flew NYC to California and there was a mother with a toddler in the seat behind me and the airhostess confiscated a yogurt she was feeding to the child.

Are you serious ! , she was FEEDING a child a yogurt and someone came and took it away .

How is that a security risk ?She was feeding it to her kid for gods sake !

Things like that make me see red

Honestly !

Which airline was that ? what was her reasoning ?

Now I have calmed down :)

Look at this site

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-security/EU_Liquids_Regulations.html

The exceptions are
    There are two exceptions to the rules:

Baby food needed during the flight;
    Medicines needed during the flight.

So you should be ok ,

also in FAQ... you may have to taste the food.
    What about passengers that need medicines, dietary foods or baby food in liquid form?
    The new EU aviation security regulations allow some exemptions to the restrictions. These include essential medicines and dietary requirements in liquid form, for example baby-food or food for people on special diets. Passengers are allowed to bring these items to the screening points in the quantities that they need during their trip.
    However, as a safeguard, passengers may be required to demonstrate that the product is real medicine or special food, and not something less innocent.

Now I know some of the US airlines have gone further and don't allow any fluids on at all , hense possibly the business of the yoghuart but you are staying in EU

Oh I know - CRAAAAAZY!!!!

It was American Airlines. And NYC to Cali is a 7 hour flight. That is a seriously long time for little kids to go without snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a detailed document produced by the EU detailing the grey areas. The principle behind them is to be strict, but not stupid.

I think its best explained here: http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8424-0.pdf
    (m) The liquid is ….required for medical purposes - should be interpreted as meaning liquid medicines, both prescribed by a doctor and bought over-the-counter. However, in principle, derogations for over-the-counter medicines (e.g. nose sprays, cough medicines, contact lens solution) should be more restrictive, since these are not life-or-death medicines.
    In addition liquids that are not medicines but are used for medical purposes are permitted – examples include ice (if used to maintain the temperature of a transplant organ, say), blood or blood products, and even ‘normal’ liquids if their use is justified on medical grounds (e.g. an autistic traveller that ‘needs’ to have a can of a particular brand of cola).
    Oh I know - CRAAAAAZY!!!! It was American Airlines. And NYC to Cali is a 7 hour flight. That is a seriously long time for little kids to go without snacks.
    Maybe the rest of the bomb was inside the baby? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:

Maybe the rest of the bomb was inside the baby? :rolleyes:

Next thing you know lactating women wont be allowed to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Its grand. I fly twice a month back and forth to Dublin and I never have a problem. Just make sure that you tell them that there is baby food in your carry-on luggage. Normally I have a full day supply of bottles and jars and no questions asked so dont worry about that, but I do warn you to bring a soother and some juice or water for take off and landing because of their little ears. Oh, and some toys, they get bored so easily. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

We have given up flying with our child. We now travel by Ferry or not at all.

Last time we flew, we had 3 out of 5 milk cartons confiscated and could only take 2 through after we had opened and tasted and poured into a bottle! So we were then worried it would be going sour before he was ready to drink.

We had to throw out 2 out of 3 jars of baby food and open and taste the 3rd.

Even the tiny bottle of Calpol we had to taste before they would agree to let it through. Medicine ffs !

The security half wits stand looking like gormless tw*ts as we struggle to take the little lads shoes off (bawling his eyes out at this point) and dismantle the pram and take our own shoes off. Not one offer of assistance.

The worst was Teesside airport but all airports seem to have gone like that now.

I dont think our safety has been increased with these ridiculous measures one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

englander wrote:
    I dont think our safety has been increased with these ridiculous measures one bit.

I agree. I was made taste yougurts and baby bottle and jars of food coming from birmingham to dublin and while I didnt mind doing it bec it was a short flight had it been a long flight and the food went off Id go nuts. Babies are babies they need to eat and you cant explain to them that they can have a bottle in a few hours bec mammy might have anthrax in it.

I agree , I would also think twice about travelling by aeroplane .

If taking a yoghught that is being FED to a baby away helps security ( see earlier in this thread ) then I would LOVE to know how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Can you not buy foods a baby would eat once on the flight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Business opportunity there!

You know what I was thinking exactly the same thing !

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

simu wrote:
    Can you not buy foods a baby would eat once on the flight?

I just flew bmiBaby Cork to Birmingham and not only was there no baby food, there was only one vegetarian option on the menu, vegetable cupasoup, scrummy.

I'm not vegetarian but the lady in front of me was moaning like hell and I don't blame her.

I suppose parents favour their own particular brand of baby food and the percentage of babies on any flight is tiny, 2 toddlers on mine, so I'm not surprised it isn't for sale on board, the airlines do like to make a profit. The restrictions seemed to have eased slighty, as long as the liquid products were 100ml or less and in a see through bag ?? I think thats progress anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I just came back from Tenerife with a 9 mth old!

The security were fine at Dublin airport, very friendly in fact. I suppose a smiley 9 mth little girl might have helped!

I took 2 small cartons with 2 bottles in my hand luggage and the wife did the same. We also had 2 jars of food each. We went through no bother. If they had of asked we had planned on saying we doubled up in case one of our hand luggages were stolen!

We had the large dried baby food in our suitcases along with 2 larger cartons each.

As a heads up bring as much of the dried food as you need as there is probably none over there. We found the jars of food by Hero were ok. Also bring some Heinz juice if you use it as we couldnt find any. The Hero brand only had 100% juice which would run the gut of a baby after a couple of days!

Hope the above helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

I fly all the time and find that Dublin is very relaxed in this regard. You may be asked to taste milk and food but I think can pretty much bring as mcuh as you like.

Totally different in the UK. You will for sure be asked to taste all food, milk and medicine and may be restricted on how much you can take. However most of the UK airports have a BOOT'S on the far side of security where you can stock up again.

I honestly don't get the complaints about the lack of vegetarian options (or any food options) on the short haul Euro flights. Cork to Birmingham is less than an hour. You would not expect a food service on a one hour trip on a bus, dart, luas or Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Oh I know - CRAAAAAZY!!!!

It was American Airlines. And NYC to Cali is a 7 hour flight. That is a seriously long time for little kids to go without snacks.

That is a seriosly long time for an adult to go without a snack!

I got stopped in Faro Airport with 2 bottles of Growing Up Milk for my 19 month old daughter. My good lady let the security man know that the child needs the nourishment or there will be hell on the plane,
    He let us on with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Flying out Saturday to Menorca with 2 children and one baby. It's been a while since I was at Dublin Airport - can anybody tell me if you can buy water once you've gone through the boarding gates and if you can bring it onto the plane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kelle wrote:
    Flying out Saturday to Menorca with 2 children and one baby. It's been a while since I was at Dublin Airport - can anybody tell me if you can buy water once you've gone through the boarding gates and if you can bring it onto the plane?
    Yes, theres a couple of places selling water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thanks, Victor.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Hi,

Just wanted to bump this as I am flying with my 6month old out of Cork and was wondering if anyone had any experience with security there and how strict they are when it comes to baby food and milk?

Although it's not a long flight I like to be prepared!!

We were planning on taking a few cartons and some food prepared at home onboard but don't want to risk it getting sent to the bin at security.

Any advice would be grateful

BH

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We had no problems at all.We just made up 2 bottles of the maximum amount (100ml) and they let us through without any hassle.
    One word of advice--If your kids are in buggies make sure you have them in them when you queue up for security.
    They usually let families with buggies through the faster entrance instead of having them queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I never really wanted to find out what formula tastes like. The idea of it makes me ill for some reason. So, my husband had to taste the milk on the way out and back.

We got the premade stuff on way out ... mistake. Much better to mix as little as possible formula before getting through security, tasting boiled water is a bit better than tasting formula.

No issue with baby food. Never had an issue with jars of any shape or the food I made myself in containers. I had no issue with any of the US airlines either, I'd say that air hostess overstepped the mark.

Declare everything. I pack that stuff before I leave the house in the clear bags and then all I have to do is pull the bags out of the carry on luggage.

Advertisement