Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bob Tisdall

• 07-06-2007 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Bob Tisdall was born 100 years ago on 16 May. His wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Tisdall has quiet a bit of information but not much detail and there are no references. He was obviously a very talented athlete and seems to have led an interesting life, does anyone know if there was ever a biography or any books written about him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Tisdall himself wrote a book (or was involved in the writing of a book) called "The Young Athlete". There was lots in it about his training and competing and various coaching on decathalon events. My dad had a copy when I was a child but unfortunately it's long since disappeared - house moves etc.

There were also lots of photographs in it as I recall. It was really old-school, suggesting chopping wooden blocks as a great workout - which it is I'm sure, but not the most accessible type of training these days.

But it was a truly hardcore book and explained the technique of sprinting, it was news to me that there was a technique! But he explained that sprinters coming out of the blocks should not be trying to push themselves up, instead to push themsleves forward and should only straighten up after about 40 metres - starting from the blocks was a relatively new technique when the book was written. I also remember some extraordinary photograhs of Tisdall high-hurdling in his youth using a very old-fashioned hurdling techinque.

The book was an inspiration to me as a youngster. Tisdall was always thought to be one of the all-time greart "natural" athletes, he was a gentleman ( and a legend to boot ).

Advertisement