Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Fitting

• 07-06-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I have a 4 or 5 year old set of Wilson ProStaff OS irons. I like them, but they were never professionally fitted to me. Now, I am feeling that they may actually be a little too long for me. Is it possible to have them adjusted at this late stage?? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go??

I live in North Dublin/East Meath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

Ta mé anseo,

I'm afraid its meath you live in and you are just going to have to accept this..

As for club fitting, Premier golf in Santry does it and the pro shop in Balbriggan Golf Club does it too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

clg23 wrote:
    Ta mé anseo,

I'm afraid its meath you live in and you are just going to have to accept this..
    QUOTE]

He's obviously waiting until the Leinster quarter final is over to pin his colours to the mast.... Meath/Dublin, who cares - just two different types of wrongs - a top or a duff!:D ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Unless you are a long way off standard size, height, arm length etc. custom fitting really isn't necessary.

I have quite old Ping ISI irons in copper. Black dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Visit
    http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/clubs101_3.html
    and use their custom fitting wizard (have a tape measure handy).
    It should indicate if you're one of 90% for whom standard clubs are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Thanks Obni,

It's seems my clubs are fine according to the wizard....

As for all you others - I know where I live! The problem is my front garden is in Dublin and my back garden is in Meath! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Thanks Obni,

It's seems my clubs are fine according to the wizard....

As for all you others - I know where I live! The problem is my front garden is in Dublin and my back garden is in Meath! :D:D

Stick to the front so! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Getting a tape measure will give you the basics - but you'll need more to check the lie of the club - are you short you might need 1 or 2 degree flat or a couple of degrees the other way if you're tall.

Club speed is another issue and will decide the flex of the shafts and lastly the "kick point" where the shaft flexes can be important.

If you're of average build and play on an intermediate handicap (10-17) then it probably won't make a huge difference but it can give you extra confidence knowing the clubs are tailored to you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

both Pro's I've been to in my fledgling golf career have said the clubs I'm using are too short, given I'm 6' 2"

that wizard is telling me they're fine though. Are the Pro's just trying to flog me clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

At 16 years of age i was 6ft 3 and guy in mcguirks said that id still grow and its best to get clubs an inch longer.

WEll i didnt grow and developed a very steep swing that takes large divots.

I changed to standard size mizuno mp30's and am hitting the best irons of my life, just the way i want them.

Custom fitting is very much for professionals and those who like to think it matters.

Trust me more then likely it wont do you any benefits. Plus youd want to have a very consistent swing. The clubs are measured on your current swing, and if you go through a swing change its more then likely the clubs wont be right for you.

When pros change their swing they change their clubs. I'd advise sticking to standard issue, its only if your 6ft5 and over youd need larger shafts anyway to stop you hunching down.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

That's kinda the problem though. They never were measured to me. It seems to me that the lie of the clubs with my normal stance is very slightly with the toe off the ground. If I grip down an inch or so, it looks a little better. Perhaps it is my stance that needs adjusting.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

uberwolf wrote:
    both Pro's I've been to in my fledgling golf career have said the clubs I'm using are too short, given I'm 6' 2"

that wizard is telling me they're fine though. Are the Pro's just trying to flog me clubs?

Yes, quite possibly, be wary of them. 6'2" isn't really tall enough to warant custom fits. I'm 6'4" and only have a tiny bit added on, in terms of length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

I'm 6ft 4", have one inch longer irons. makes a difference. get fitted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

my dad is mindset that when he returns from holidays he is getting his clubs fitted.

A new thing im hearing alot lately is having the club head "leveled" . Basically its having the club head re shaped so that it lies flat on the ground. For some players do to oldness or bellysize :P they cannot lie the club flat on the ground, this seriously impacts your accuracy as you move down from 3/4 irons to scoring clubs like 9 irons and wedges.

A simple test can prove this. With some tape put the tape on the sweetspot or middle of the clubface, accurate as possible. Then get a simple pointing device, piece of tube or plastic or something and stick it to the tape so its pointing out straight.

AS you move the toe in the air, as if your resting the club on the heel, you should notice your marker is pointing to the left of where you want to aim it, vice versa if you move the heel up.

A lil test you might wna look into as i didnt release what a drastic difference it makes.

Again a piece of tape on the sweetspot(while club sole is resting flat on ground) then put some sort of straight object pointing out. Then rest the club down at your normal address, and see if you actually DO aim the club where you want it to go.

This more then likely doesnt mean diddly for low handicappers but for mid-high handicappers or those of physical disorder ( aka me who likes beer and burgers) you may realise something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

What you are talking about is having the "lie" of your clubs adjusted, basically its the angle between the shaft and the ground. This angle can be adjusted by bending the clubhead a few degrees either way.
    This can have an influence on whether you draw or fade the ball.
    You can have your irons more upright or flat - Ping have been offering this for decades - thats what the different colour dots on their irons mean, each colour indicates how upright or flat the set is.
    If you get custom fit a few things can be adjusted - shaft stiffness, shaft length, grip size, lie, and sometimes loft (loft is the angle between your clubface and the ground and affects the height your ball flies.)

The aim of getting fitted is so that the clubs match as closely as possible your own individual swing.

I've never been fitted, but if I ever get a consistent swing I would definitely do it.
    Don't really see the advantage for a beginner unless you are extra tall or short - but once you have a consistent, repeatable swing I think it would be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Yes, quite possibly, be wary of them. 6'2" isn't really tall enough to warant custom fits. I'm 6'4" and only have a tiny bit added on, in terms of length.

well I asked the pro to have a look at it. He concluded I needed slightly longer clubs. However I discovered the clubs I had were below standard length, better for someone 5'6" to 5'8"!!

So it was worth getting checked.

Advertisement