Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog in Back Garden

Options
  • 07-06-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I recently discovered that I have a hedgehog living in my back garden. While I'm delighted for it to be there I am a little concerned that he/she may be stuck in my garden as it is a walled suburban garden. One explanation for how it is there now is that last August I replaced my side gate, the previous one I had was rotting and had large holes in it so it could have gotten in that way, however it wouldn't be able to go back through the new one.

The way I see it at the moment is there is two ways out of my garden. One is to dig under the walls and the other is to climb up on some bricks and logs (a foot or two high) to get through a gap in the wall into the neighbours garden. Can anyone shed any light on:

(a) Do hedgehogs burrow under things like walls
    (b) Would they have the ability to climb up onto some bricks (as described above)? they don't look they would be able to do it but who knows??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd imagine that they could climb a foot or two without too much problem as long as the steps weren't too high .. they've only got small legs after all. As for burrowing, I'd think that they'd possibly dig a few inches to make space to get under a fence or something like that, but a wall whose foundations went down into the ground would be too much of an obstacle for them. Maybe you could put a small catflap into your new gate :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They can climb (and swim), perhaps put some soort of ramp or even just a brick or two to help it along.

You are very lucky to have one in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Thanks for the responses, ye I think I'll make a ramp just to make sure it can get out if he wants to. I think he's living in the garden because I have a composter and there's always alot of slugs, snails etc around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I wish I had a hedgehog in my garden :) They can actually move quite fast when they want to. I always thought of them as plodders until I saw a huge one scurry across the road and into my front garden (in Ireland) a few years ago!

The roadrunner had nothing on this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My parents have 2 hedgehogs in their garden and one evening we seen it climb over a 4ft wall no problem.
    They go from garden to garden eating the pet food etc etc.

Just seen a dead one in my own estate the other day. I hate seeing them dead on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Saw"

Sorry..has to be said,apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

"Saw"

Sorry..has to be said,apologies

No I definately seen a dead one...lol:p

Correction noted.

Advertisement