Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Courses

Options
  • 07-06-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I am interested in doing a basic web design course with the view of being able to set up a website - a fairly simple one providing information, some shots and links. Can anyone recommend a course in Dublin? Ideally I would like to start one as soon as possible rather than wait until September/October. Ashfield College offer an 'Effective Web Design' course that starts towards the end of July. Has anyone experience of this course? Bua are more expensive and i am a bit suss of one and two day courses as in my experience interest starts to wane after lunch. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you're really interseted I'd suggest you save your money and try educating yourself using the online resources that are out there.

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/
    http://www.w3schools.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

One problem with that is I don't have internet access at home at the moment. Thanks for the links - will have a look at them and perhaps will be able to use them in the future or on the snooly at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Maybe get a book - the Sitepoint Principles of Beautiful Web Design is available as a PDF for $30. You can download a few free chapters to get a feel for it.

They have plenty of other web development related books too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Either buy dvd's from totaltraining.com<recommended>
    or membership at lynda.com

both are better than any 2 hour course
    Totaltraining dvds are more detailed than any
    I usually supply newly hired with their dvd's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

A good few years ago I did the webmaster course in IACT. Like the others said though, you're better off learning online, or pestering a friend to give you a hand. The course in IACT was expensive for what it was - the best thing about it was that if you know nothing at all about web design you at least became familiar with the lingo.

Try one of the 'in a nutshell' books instead. If you make yourself follow a timetable, you'll learn as much as you would on a course, and save a lot more money! Broadband is very useful though because there are tons of forums where you can ask questions and get helpful answers as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Computer Active (UK magazine) have an "Ultimate Guide to Building Your Own Website" in the shops at the moment. It's got loads of very easy to follow step by step guides and comes with a cd full of goodies (shareware and trial versions).

It's the best €10 I've spent in recent times on web design.....It's a good way of trying out a few bits and pieces without committing to a full training course

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

Thanks for the advice - might just teach myself and save a few bob at that!

Advertisement