Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEAR troop rescue robot

Options
  • 07-06-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

See here

So, this looks like a great idea in many ways but I have a few questions. How do we know that this robot won't accidentally kill or paralyse troops that have broken necks or severe spinal injuries?

Also, does anyone else think that with a little re-design of the head, this thing could be a proto-type Terminator? Seriously, If this is a success in the field I can see it being armed and used to replace troops in certain scenarios.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think if we are going to develop robots to fight wars a better idea would be to simply have two countries fight the war in cyberspace.

Switzerland can develop a virtuall battleground where all country conflicts can be fought on line. With no re-spawns...

I think the robot idea is a pile of pants ... better body armour is a better investment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know the US have already used robots in Iraq for some purposes but I can't help feeling that while this robot has been developed for "medical" purposes and to reduce danger to medical personnel that there may have been an underlying future-use-as-combat-machines agenda.

There are too many shortcomings evident. Can a soldier or his/her family sue if it can be proven that the robot did further damage when removing the soldier from the scene? I imagine they could and would. Also, I can't help but feel that these robots would be targets for any enemy. I think it's generally accepted that you do not attack medical teams but attacking a robot is not the same thing and therefore legitimate. It also highlights exactly where wounded troops are positioned. Every robot taken out would cost the US a lot of money.

Advertisement