Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i use two routers

Options
  • 07-06-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

hey guys wondering if the below can be done: trying to set up internet in two rooms

We will have a phone line coming in terminating in both bedrooms, rather than going wiring between the two rooms or setting up a wireless network we'd rather plug routers into the sockets in both rooms and connect them both to the network.

is it possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you mean typical ADSL routers, then no. At best only one of these will gain an IP address and the other will do nothing, at worst a conflict will arise between them.

Connect one, and connect the other PC either wirelessly or via a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

hmm ok thanks. were trying to avoid the wired bit, plus it's for gaming and the wireless pc doesn't perform as good as the wired. thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i am using two routers. but one of them is connected to the other router

Dankoozy wrote:
    i am using two routers. but one of them is connected to the other router

Don't confuse matters! ;)

Op you are not going to be able to share your internet connection like this over the phone lines. You will either need to pull another cable from one point to the other or use wireless as someone else suggested.

I use wireless for gaming with great sucess. Depending on strength and interferance, your mileage may vary.

how have ya got them connected dankoozy?

• Advertisement

jubi lee wrote:
    how have ya got them connected dankoozy?

With cat5 cable most likely. There is no need for a second router in a home environment. It just complicates matters.

Pull a cable from the router connected to the internet to the other room. If you need more points in the other room buy a cheap switch.

yeah no the thing is we don't wann run the cable into the other room. we just figured there must be a way to use the 2 routers if we have phone points in each room. thanks for the advice guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have a look at homeplug netowriking
    http://hhi.corecom.com/homeplugnetworking.htm

you just polug adapters into plug sockets and you have an instant wired networlk

Advertisement