Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suspending Insurance for 2 months

Options
  • 07-06-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone know if I can suspend my insurance for 2 months as I am going on holidays and still built up my no claims bonus for the 12 months or is it like canceling my policy so in reality I lose a whole years no claims bonus as I havent had the policy for a full year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

AFAIK you just lose the 2 months of your no claims, i.e. if you've six months no claims, then you went on holidays for 2 months, when you came back you'd still only have 6 months. I doubt you'd lose the year, because if that was the case it'd be worth your while just paying for the 2 months' insurance. Ring them and ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK you just lose the 2 months of your no claims, i.e. if you've six months no claims, then you went on holidays for 2 months, when you came back you'd still only have 6 months. I doubt you'd lose the year, because if that was the case it'd be worth your while just paying for the 2 months' insurance. Ring them and ask...
    That's the same thing as losing the year, though. 4 years and 10 months NCB is worth no more than 4 years at renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bananarepublic

Yeah thats what I thought, ie when it comes to renewal I wont get an extra year because I was only insured for the year.

Well just of hold there finally got through to someone rather than a machine, there sending details out , the customer service said it shouldnt effect it when it comes to renewal as I would get the full year as I am only suspending the insurance rather than cancelling.

I'll wait and see do , I better read the terms and conditions very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I'm with quinn direct and it hasn't affected my ncb when I've gone abroad for the summer(3-4months at a time).

If you pay by direct debit the payments will still be taken out, all you have to do is hand your insurance disc and cert in to office and get it back off them when you come home. They will then issue you with a cheque for a refund.

May be different for other companys though

Advertisement